SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-23-17, 02:32 AM   #1
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4
Default TWoS 2.1.0 and Auto TDC = LOL

I just wasn't able to use the Manual TDC in TWoS, so I wanted to switch to Auto, but hey, once you have started a campaign there is no way to change its difficulty options, so I had to edit the GameSettings.cfg files directly.

Still then, I didn't figure out how it worked, bearing of target was known, I entered the distance to target by measuring on the map before, and still the TDC didn't give me any speed info. Also what about a ship recon book? Is there one? Without it and the exact ship my radio man will refuse to send a contact report.

Then I have watched Vdr1981's video 'The Wolfes of Steel - Auto TDC Testing'. So all you have to do is to aim and shoot ?? You don't even need to select and follow your target (with Space key) ? This is even more arcadish than the stock game, lol, it's kinda like being on a shooting stand in Disney World, I hope no real skipper is ever watching me playing like that...

Is it really that simple or do I miss something? I don't want to get in the hairy manual TDC, the real thing would imply to do trigonometrical calculations, (and still you can not feed the TDC with it?) also my head would explode soon, no thanks

So what's up with Auto TDC in TWoS? Has it been really cut down to idiocy? If yes, it's a pity.

TWoS is wonderful but it really needs a minimum, a ressemblence of a PLAYING MANUAL.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 12-23-17 at 02:44 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-17, 04:19 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi XS
You will not get the targets speed with manual targeting.
If you are using map contacts you can use the 3 minute 15 second method to get an accurate speed.
You can also use the U-Jagd method.
1 minute periscope method.
Without TWOS it is easier to guess the targets speed.
I have tutorials on the above mentioned methods.
Use the Options File Editor Viewer (OFEV) Nav and TAI map settings to set up your auto and manual game play.
You can see in the picture that I have the true bearing and the course but the speed is not showing.
This is very useful if you do not use map contacts.

The navigator can help you find the speed after using the stadimeter several times but personally I prefer to do it myself.
Many of the settings in the OFEV cannot be used if playing at 100%.
Incidentally the picture shows setting up the JPC 45 degree attack method.
Tutorial available which is very useful for getting inside convoys and attacking across the shipping lanes.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-17, 05:15 AM   #3
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi XS
You will not get the targets speed with manual targeting.
If you are using map contacts you can use the 3 minute 15 second method to get an accurate speed.
You can also use the U-Jagd method.
1 minute periscope method.
Without TWOS it is easier to guess the targets speed.
I have tutorials on the above mentioned methods.
Use the Options File Editor Viewer (OFEV) Nav and TAI map settings to set up your auto and manual game play.
You can see in the picture that I have the true bearing and the course but the speed is not showing.
This is very useful if you do not use map contacts.

The navigator can help you find the speed after using the stadimeter several times but personally I prefer to do it myself.
Many of the settings in the OFEV cannot be used if playing at 100%.
Incidentally the picture shows setting up the JPC 45 degree attack method.
Tutorial available which is very useful for getting inside convoys and attacking across the shipping lanes.
Peter
Hi THEBERBSTER
What changes did you make on OFEV to get this?
You no play 100% realism?
Old 12-23-17, 04:28 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Hi TheBrebster, thank you a lot to give me your inside of a map setup. That's what I also mark, and now I have found a tutorial about how to use the chronometer to measure the target speed (start chrono at the right-end of ship, stop chronometer at left-end of ship, then use the measure tool of the chrono by right-clicking on it; you need to know to target lenght shown in the book).

Identifying ships:
The recon book is launched with E , and there is also a mod to make the crew identify ships which is faster (I need to find that one). Then I use the book to send info to TDC.

But big question now: Starting with your map setup, and once all data is in the TDC (bearing, range, ship identity, speed), then am I ready to launch torpedos *whatever course changes my sub makes afterwards* when playing manual or Auto TDC ? What if I get in a better firing position by changing my sub's heading, will I need to update the TDC or is this done automatically?

Could you please tell me what UI setup you are using? I see in your picture above the 5 tool pickups on the left, but in my 'SH3 UI' these do NOT appear for some reason. Thanks!

Thanks,
Old 12-23-17, 06:48 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER

Hi XS
Quote:
What changes did you make on OFEV to get this?
You need to change the TAI and Nav Map patches to true.
Will only appear on the maps while the target is locked and adjusts automatically.

Quote:
You no play 100% realism?
I do now.

Quote:
What if I get in a better firing position by changing my sub's heading, will I need to update the TDC or is this done automatically?
Depends whether you are locked on the target while re-positioning.
Basically:
Speed > you have to find.
Range > you have to find > not important in a fast 90 degree shoot around 1,200 metres or less.
AOB > will adjust automatically if first correctly set and remains locked will continue to follow the target.
Easy to work out if map contacts are being used as you can find the range and AOB at anytime using the ruler and protractor.
Quote:
Could you please tell me what UI setup you are using?
TWOS mega mod.
TDW's NewUI 7-4-2 if you are using your own mod list.
Quote:
I see in your picture above the 5 tool pickups on the left, but in my 'SH3 UI' these do NOT appear for some reason
You are using the SH3 interface and I am using the SH5 Enhanced interface.

My tutorials have more information.
Peter
Old 12-23-17, 09:20 PM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Thanks TheBrebster, for the moment it's no fun for me, I miss most torpedos in Auto TDC as well as in Manual TDC. And I'm not even playing at Real Navigation, all contacts pop-up on my map. I will have to go seriously through some tutorials and videos first.

Cheers,
Old 12-24-17, 05:10 AM   #7
THEBERBSTER

Hi XS
Don't get too depressed over this as we all had to start somewhere and many of us in those early days would have experienced the same sort of thing.
I would suggest that you start a new career on the easy setting.
Use the OFEV settings that will help you especially in the TAI and Nav Map tabs.
Post #35 Beginners Guide To Manual Targeting
Post #47 Beginners Guide To Auto TDC
Post #146 Auto TDC Targeting Without Using 3 Circles > Updated Pictorial
Peter
Old 12-24-17, 10:09 AM   #8
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 349

I find using the U JagD ( By Clicking on the cronometer Right Click IIRC ) the easiest and quickest way of calculating ships speed by far. Sometimes convoys speed up as you range in.

It confused me a little when I first tried it so I just checked out instructions in this video

There are lots of different options to do speed calcs . Time over distance is good for long range.