SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-17, 04:46 AM   #16
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi guys
SH4.exe compatibility mode.
Ticking the box to 'Override High DPI Scaling' does this male any difference?
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-17, 06:39 PM   #17
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

I just read the thread about text size posted by blackhawk70, any chance that your post was meant for that thread?

No such option in Linux...

Currently I'm running it with "emulate a virtual desktop" of 1024x768 in WINE, so I can read the errors as they show up in the terminal window...

But I did check for such an option in game as well, no dice....

And I'm running WINE 2.10 as of my last post...

Although, I think with all of the post about issues with SH4 recently, I may be better off running it through WINE than most running it through Windows...

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 11:33 AM   #18
Blackjack174
Swabbie

Downloads: 11
Nuke Intel with MESA still works fine

FYI:
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0002=FOCUS_RECEIVED (0x63000020, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0001=FOCUS_LOST (0x63000020, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0002=FOCUS_RECEIVED (0x63000007, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0001=FOCUS_LOST (0x63000007, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0002=FOCUS_RECEIVED (0x63000006, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0001=FOCUS_LOST (0x63000006, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0002=FOCUS_RECEIVED (0x63000005, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0001=FOCUS_LOST (0x63000005, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0002=FOCUS_RECEIVED (0x63000004, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0001=FOCUS_LOST (0x63000004, 0)

these are in fact messages from the "Main" application that gets dumped to the linux console, when hovering and focusing on UI elements in the sh3 menu, these are NOT errors.

As I have the flickering too with AMDGPU driver I tested my intel onboard driver (which worked fine with sh3 some month back), and I have no flickering / errors there.

Intel drivers for my HD4600 card now support exactly the same OPENGL levels as AMDGPU , so there should be a bug in AMDGPU driver (that incidentally is now used by AMDGPU Pro proprietary driver), I will try to revert to older mesa drivers and dissect and report this issue to the mesa developers if possible.

Hope that does not count as necroposting here (sorry), but this thread actually turns up first when searching for the problem...

cheers.
Blackjack174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-18, 02:37 AM   #19
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack174 View Post
FYI:
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0002=FOCUS_RECEIVED (0x63000020, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0001=FOCUS_LOST (0x63000020, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0002=FOCUS_RECEIVED (0x63000007, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0001=FOCUS_LOST (0x63000007, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0002=FOCUS_RECEIVED (0x63000006, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0001=FOCUS_LOST (0x63000006, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0002=FOCUS_RECEIVED (0x63000005, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0001=FOCUS_LOST (0x63000005, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0002=FOCUS_RECEIVED (0x63000004, 0)
.msg<Main>: 0xaaaa0001=FOCUS_LOST (0x63000004, 0)

these are in fact messages from the "Main" application that gets dumped to the linux console, when hovering and focusing on UI elements in the sh3 menu, these are NOT errors.

As I have the flickering too with AMDGPU driver I tested my intel onboard driver (which worked fine with sh3 some month back), and I have no flickering / errors there.

Intel drivers for my HD4600 card now support exactly the same OPENGL levels as AMDGPU , so there should be a bug in AMDGPU driver (that incidentally is now used by AMDGPU Pro proprietary driver), I will try to revert to older mesa drivers and dissect and report this issue to the mesa developers if possible.

Hope that does not count as necroposting here (sorry), but this thread actually turns up first when searching for the problem...

cheers.

I just logged back in and noticed your post....

What I posted as errors, did not show up on the older wine/driver versions.
I start all of my games through a terminal strictly so I will have a clue if something goes "not to plan".

They messages START after the game starts flickering, and only after.
Until I move the mouse and the flickering starts, I will see no messages of this kind.

Hence the reason I concluded that they were "errors".

I keep meaning to file a bug report, but life has once again been really busy...

Also, just a note to anyone else that happens upon this thread,
I'm running Fedora 27, kernel 4.14.13, wine 2.20 staging
and it is still flickering.

I just updated to 4.14.14, so I'll check again next time I reboot.

Barracuda
Old 01-26-18, 01:29 PM   #20
Blackjack174
Swabbie

Default Mesa bugtracker

I filed a bug some while ago , but so far no reaction yet:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=104549

I inlucded an apitrace so developers can "replay" opengl commands and debug what is going wrong.

Incidentely I retested sh3 on my intel integrated graphics , no artefacts there exactly as I remember , so should be an AMDGPU issue , even replaying the trace on intel looks ok too.
Old 02-20-18, 07:45 PM   #21
BarracudaUAK
Captain

I've been thinking this over for the last few days, and to test if I can confirm which part is causing the issue...

I do have an older R7 370X that still uses the Radeon kernel driver. Unlike my R9 380 that uses amdgpu, So for a quick test I'm going to swap video cards and see if there is any change.

I'll post back with the results.

I don't have any other (brand) hardware to test on.

Although I might drop back to the release version of F25's mesa as well, separately, and see what happens there.

Barracuda
Old 02-21-18, 03:20 AM   #22
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Well, I downgraded mesa to the version in Fedora 25, which worked, and I still get flickering on the R9. EDIT: v17.0

I upgraded everything back to the current version, and swapped out the the R7, still flickering.

So I may have to drop back several wine versions and see what happens there.

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 02-22-18 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 01:20 PM   #23
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

I'm still chugging along with WIN XP, never seen LINUX or any of the VISTA and later operating systems. To throw out a few ideas;

1. From what I've read in various other games, some of the later versions don't come with DX9, so VISTA / WIN7 users had to download and install DX9C to make older games work.

2. I got flashing from newer video cards and drivers, reduced by turning off detailed ripples and 3D ships wakes in graphics options. Turning down hardware acceleration one notch (suggested for mouse problems in XP) also seems to help. Don't know how it works in later systems, but for XP;

START, RUN, "DXDIAG". Go to SOUND tab, set slider from full acceleration to standard.

Probably something similar in VISTA / 7 / 8 / 10 (was there a 9?) no idea about LINUX.
As far as I know WINE is fermented fruit juice and I wouldn't advise pouring it into a computer.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-18, 08:15 PM   #24
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
I'm still chugging along with WIN XP, never seen LINUX or any of the VISTA and later operating systems. To throw out a few ideas;

1. From what I've read in various other games, some of the later versions don't come with DX9, so VISTA / WIN7 users had to download and install DX9C to make older games work.

2. I got flashing from newer video cards and drivers, reduced by turning off detailed ripples and 3D ships wakes in graphics options. Turning down hardware acceleration one notch (suggested for mouse problems in XP) also seems to help. Don't know how it works in later systems, but for XP;

START, RUN, "DXDIAG". Go to SOUND tab, set slider from full acceleration to standard.

Probably something similar in VISTA / 7 / 8 / 10 (was there a 9?) no idea about LINUX.
As far as I know WINE is fermented fruit juice and I wouldn't advise pouring it into a computer.
Well, I tried DxDiag and it doesn't give me the option to change the hardware acceleration anywhere. It doesn't actually "see" the hardware, but it does tell me that acceleration is on and possible.

But since WINE is "faking" or 'redirecting' everything to the Linux equivalents that's not surprising...

Short version: Hardware > Kernel driver (hardware control) > mesa (OpenGL) > WINE (faking and redirection) > SH4.

A "hiccup" anywhere and it might not work.

I tried adjusting settings, but nothing stopped the texture flickering that I'm getting.
I'm getting the flickering in the menu too, where the 'environmental' settings should not make a difference.

I will probably downgrade WINE to an older version to test.
Nothing that didn't work in 2.5/2.6 works now, so I'm not losing anything.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Barracuda

P.S. Fermented anything can stay away from my computer!
Old 02-21-18, 09:16 PM   #25
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Only time I've had that issue is my video card was overheating

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-18, 03:08 AM   #26
BarracudaUAK
Captain

I downgraded to WINE 1.9.12 (currently 3.2) and still got the flickering.
So I'm not exactly sure where the issue is.

Also, I'm pretty sure the card isn't overheating. (Even if I lost the fans on the R9, my case has enough fans to keep the air flowing.)
PLUS, I've tried my 2nd R9, and my older R7(s). I don't think I'd be dealing with over-heating issues on 4 different cards.

But I'll check that out too.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Worst case scenario... I'll setup a VM (with GPU pass-through) and install a Fedora old enough (probably 23) to not have flickering issues.

I have a 2nd monitor and keyboard so I'm good to go there.

Upside, is I would be able to use any and all out-of-game "tools" while I play on the "other screen" on the VM.

Barracuda
Old 02-22-18, 02:13 PM   #27
Blackjack174
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK View Post
I downgraded to WINE 1.9.12 (currently 3.2) and still got the flickering.
So I'm not exactly sure where the issue is.

Barracuda
try to start (and wait ages ) prepending mesa env. variable for software rendering:

LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=true COMMANDTHATSTARTSH3/4HERE

Software rendering still uses mesa and works (but crappy slow with ~4ghz cpu), as is the intel implementation for mesa, so I am pretty sure mesa stack is the culprit here.

Switching radeon cards will probably still use the same vertex? shader compiler with the same errors and issues, apparently these seem to behave differently than the intel/software implementations, but replaying opengl traces shows a lot of shader compiler errors (that could be a wine problem , have to test with native d3d9 dlls), so if the radeon driver path has some more issues with these this could potentially break differently.

Did it at any point in time work ok with any of your cards under wine ?

EDIT: forgot to mention , I also tried wine staging with gallium nine, this rendered my sub interior ok with no flickering but hung my hole graphic stack when getting to the bridge or anywhere else from the first station after mission loads (menu also did not flicker at all), this however bypasses the opengl stack and sends d3d9 calls to the card, hence not the same errors, but in my case I had to shutdown my system using a remote shell
Old 02-22-18, 03:54 PM   #28
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack174 View Post
Switching radeon cards will probably still use the same vertex? shader compiler with the same errors and issues, apparently these seem to behave differently than the intel/software implementations, but replaying opengl traces shows a lot of shader compiler errors (that could be a wine problem , have to test with native d3d9 dlls), so if the radeon driver path has some more issues with these this could potentially break differently.

Did it at any point in time work ok with any of your cards under wine ?

To answer your last question first: Yes, from 1.7.30(when I installed Fedora 20) up until WINE v2.6.
v2.7 and up have had this issue.

I tried my R7 370X because it uses the Radeon kernel driver, not the AMDGPU kernel driver, although both use the RadeonSI (SI=Sea Islands *I think*) mesa driver. In case the error was with AMDGPU....

As far as you comment about testing with actuall d3d9 dlls.
This gets complicated typing, just to break it down so I don't confuse anyone, or myself:
I have SH4 through steam.
I have Steam installed in a 32bit WINE prefix, ".wine32".
In ".wine32" I have DirectX 9c and DotNet 2.0 installed. (Initially because S3D needed dotnet.)

I also have a "Steam install" in the default 64bit ".wine" prefix.
I also added SH4 here to test the LAA patch and larger mods.
The default prefix uses "stock" WINE dlls.

It flickers in BOTH prefixes.

The only thing I haven't tried is downgrading Xorg to 1.17 (from Fedora 22's release) and installing FGLRX, which would replace a rather large chunk of most of the probable areas.
This is what I used on my last PC with HD6750s, and this current PC up until kernel 4.8.16 with both the R7 370X, and the R9 380.

Also may try XFCE, or LXDE, as I've read of various troubles plaguing one desktop while trying to game, but not another.

I'm just running through all the possibilities.

Barracuda
Old 02-22-18, 04:57 PM   #29
BarracudaUAK
Captain

And XFCE and LXDE both encountered the same issue.
(Although they both have a lot of gnome dependencies, was hoping it might just be limited to KDE, since that is the only thing I haven't tried downgrading yet.)

I'll try it with the CL command you mentioned Blackjack174, and see what happens!

EDIT: SH4 crashes when launched. Black screen then I see the crash dialog box pop up in the background.
(I have my windows set to go semi-transparent when they are not the currently selected window.)

Barracuda
Old 02-22-18, 07:59 PM   #30
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Looking over the XP options, in addition to adjusting the audio acceleration with DXDIAG I also have the option to adjust video acceleration down one notch by;

1. Right click on desktop
2. Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot.

Again, dunno anything about WINE, but might be worth looking to see if it has a similar option.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote