Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-19, 09:15 AM   #3376
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel B. View Post
A man murders 49 innocent people, seriously injures another 49 and your response is "What took so long?"

I think the majority of people on this planet are rational, compassionate beings. At least, that's the kind of people I meet most of the time. (In my travels all over the world, from the U.S. to Germany to Japan and places in-between.) And it doesn't seem to matter what religious or political background they have.

Two wrongs do not make a right. If we lose sight of our morality, we will become nothing more than animals ... or perhaps, even worse than them.
Very well said. I think your experiences mirror those of most people. Most of the people I meet are pretty intelligent and reasonable people, the world over. History has shown us in graphic terms what can happen when a class of people are de-humanized.

To be fair and clarify what Skybird has said, I think what Skybird is saying is that targeting a class of people is becoming more frequent. The newspapers are filled with this very thing. In Pittsburgh Pa, 11 people were killed in a Synagogue while offering morning prayers.

Dylann S. Roof, a white supremacist, killed nine African-American churchgoers city’s Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in South Carolina.

Most disturbing,on June 17, 2015, the Wednesday when he showed up in Emanuel’s fellowship hall and was offered a seat for Bible study by the Rev. Clementa C. Pinckney. Mr. Roof sat quietly, his head hung low, for about 40 minutes while the group considered the Gospel of Mark’s account of the Parable of the Sower. Then, with the parishioners’ eyes clenched for a benediction, Mr. Roof brandished the .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun he had smuggled into the church in a waist pouch and began shooting.

The alleged shooter in the New Zealand attacks mentioned Dylan Roof as the inspiration for his attacks. There are many other attacks and these are just 2 such examples that are hate based killings and attacks and classified as hate crimes and or terrorism.

http://www.live5news.com/2019/03/15/...f-inspiration/

https://www.thestate.com/news/nation...227876899.html

I don't think Skybird was being callous. Skybird was discussing in a calm, clinical way that incidents of hate motivated attacks are on the rise. That's not to say these attacks are not sad or senseless. As you said Nathaniel and contrary to what Skybird believes, I think most people are decent, moral people. There are a small percentage of people that are dangerous though. I think we are all grappling with these issues right now, searching for the root causes and possible solutions.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-16-19 at 10:00 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-19, 10:01 AM   #3377
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

This is nothing short of a political stitch up and the scapegoat is hardly surprising.

Quote:
A former British soldier faces murder charges over the killing of two people on Bloody Sunday in Londonderry in 1972. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47540271

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-19, 08:09 AM   #3378
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I mentioned this author repeatedly in the past.

Quote:
Hamed Abdel-Samad on Christchurch

Those who, after an Islamist terrorist attack, always emphasize that terror has no religion, have stated after the attack on the mosque in New Zealand that terror has a race after all. The same people, who rightly demand that Muslims should not be placed under general suspicion, are now freely talking about the „white man“ as a category.

We often tend to stamp a whole group either as victims or as perpetrators. But self-exaltation, self-flagellation, and victimhood are mechanisms to flee from reality.

Every person, regardless of race or religion, is capable of anything, both positive and negative. However, there are factors and thought patterns that promote hatred and exclusion, such as believing that one’s own group is chosen and above humanity. This thinking is common among Muslims as well as white men. The „white supremacists“ do not differ much from the „muslim supremacists“. Both are exclusive and believe in a world conspiracy against them. Both have a colonial project and dream of bringing the world under their control. Both hate each other outwardly, but in reality they inspire each other and provide each other with arguments for survival.

Modernity has massively weakened three pillars of classical identity: nation, religion, masculinity. It has enabled us to distance ourselves from these identity anchors or relativise them. Not many can live with this ambivalence. You need clear identity contours. The white supremacists and muslim supremacists are now leading a counter-revolution against modernity and want to bring this trinity back to its old strength.

The question now is, what do we have about identity models in the Islamic world and in the West in response to this counterrevolution?
The economic, political and cultural asymmetry between East and West is growing, providing more fuel for hatred on extremists on both sides. Education in the Islamic world does not manage to break away from this exclusive thinking and to open up to modern, flexible identity models. In the West, on the other hand, modernity and the Enlightenment are partly relativized in order to integrate inflexible and sometimes radical ways of life. This inspires both the white supremacists and the muslim supremacists as well as other radical currents - and weakens the sensible. We have expanded pluralism so far, but no common denominator for peaceful coexistence.

The problem is that our commitment to freedom is as weak as it has been in a long time!
https://www.achgut.com/artikel/hamed...u_christchurch
Old 03-17-19, 02:46 PM   #3379
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47018747
I wonder how the two events compare in terms of coverage and the outrage.
Old 03-17-19, 03:05 PM   #3380
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47018747
I wonder how the two events compare in terms of coverage and the outrage.

Don't stray from the mainstream media narrative man!
The answer is easy! The Philippines? What coverage? What outrage?

120 Christians killed in Nigeria within three weeks, yawn.

https://medium.com/@africaguardian/n...n-ae9fe85badea
Old 03-18-19, 07:16 AM   #3381
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Shamima Begum's lawyer visits Syrian refugee camp where she is living, but is barred from meeting her by guards.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...id=mailsignout
Oh what a crying shame

Old 03-18-19, 07:37 AM   #3382
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A gunman has opened fire inside a tram in the Dutch city of Utrecht. Counter-terror police reportedly say it "appears to be a terrorist attack".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47611811

Old 03-18-19, 11:27 AM   #3383
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

3 dead, 5 injured

Quote:
Armed police are searching multiple buildings in the Dutch city of Utrecht after a shooting on a tram left at least three people dead and five injured.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ch-netherlands

Suspect is Turkish:

Quote:
Utrecht police issued a CCTV picture of the suspect, named as Turkish-born Gökmen Tanis, 37, and warned people not to approach him but to alert the authorities if they saw him. They also appealed for witness photographs.
Old 03-19-19, 01:46 PM   #3384
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

They caught him last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47622916

Old 03-19-19, 01:51 PM   #3385
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Not long to go now.

Quote:
US-backed Syrian fighters are reported to have overrun an encampment that made up most of the last patch of territory held by the Islamic State group.

The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) alliance said militants refusing to surrender had pulled back to a sliver of land along the River Euphrates south of Baghuz, and that clashes continued.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-47628209

Old 03-19-19, 07:47 PM   #3386
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I applaud PM Ardern's handing of one of the biggest's problems with these attacks: giving these crazy morons fame.

Quote:
On Tuesday, Ardern went further, telling New Zealand's Parliament that she would deny the man responsible for the nation's worst terror attack in modern history the one thing he likely craved: fame.

"He is a terrorist, he is a criminal, he is an extremist, but he will, when I speak, be nameless, and to others I implore you: Speak the names of those who were lost rather than the name of the man who took them. He may have sought notoriety but we in New Zealand will give him nothing – not even his name."
I agree, I will never post or say his name.
Old 03-24-19, 07:07 AM   #3387
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) says the Islamic State group's five-year "caliphate" is over after the militants' defeat in Syria.

SDF fighters have been raising victory flags in Baghuz, the last stronghold of the jihadist group.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-47678157
No doubt they'll be back.

Old 03-24-19, 07:29 AM   #3388
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Syrian Army ran away in letting these pigs in and creating their own hell hole lets hope they learnt their lesson not too runaway.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-19, 07:52 AM   #3389
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Where is ISIS today?

https://www.mei.edu/multimedia/video/where-isis-today

Old 04-14-19, 06:51 AM   #3390
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Oh what a crying shame

It would appear she may not be as innocent as she claims

Quote:
Shamima Begum 'was member of feared Isis morality police' in Syria

Shamima Begum was a member of the Isis morality police, a feared group which enforced the terror organisation’s strict interpretation of Islamic law, according to reports.

The 19-year-old British citizen, who fled her home in Bethnal Green four years ago with two other schoolgirls, has claimed that she was only a “housewife” during her time living with the group in Syria.

But according to a report in The Sunday Telegraph she played a much more active role in the organisation’s reign of terror as a member of the “hisba” – which metes out punishment to those found flouting Isis laws on how to dress and behave.

One activist quoted by the newspaper said Begum had been seen holding an automatic weapon and shouting at Syrian women in the city of Raqqa for wearing brightly coloured shoes.

“Members of our group from Raqqa knew her well,” said Aghiad al-Kheder, an activist from Deir ez-Zor who founded an anti-Isis collective that published information about Isis crimes from sources on the ground.

“There were lots of young European women in the hisba. Some of them were very harsh and the local population became very scared.”

There were separate allegations that Begum stitched suicide bombers into explosive vests, so they could not be removed without detonating.

The Mail on Sunday reported that the prime minister and home secretary had been briefed on intelligence received by the CIA and Dutch military intelligence.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...id=mailsignout

Tags
terrorism