SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-16-10, 10:13 AM   #31
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

I'd pay $200 for a high-quality modern sim, and I am betting that there are a lot of others here that would scrape it together as well. This community is very hungry for something new.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 10:43 AM   #32
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Downloads: 82

Absolutely right!! I would pay even 500 Euros for innovation and good ultimate aeronaval sim.

tonibamestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 11:02 AM   #33
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

If I'd pay 200$ for a game it has to be the "Mother of All Games", and even then, I'm not sure if I could afford it... sure not at this moment . Maybe a "modular" game could be the solution: some kind of a base game (a very good one) that itself is great, but with pay add-ons, like campaigns, new playables, etc becomes superb.
Of course all this without "stealing" capabilities to the base game; it has to be good enough by itself (and with this I mean better than DW): you have to be able to play single and multiplayer without restrictions and the base platforms must be good ones, no sitting ducks; the new campaigns and missions have to be good ones (at least better than the ones an average player can create by him/herself).

I'm not sure if I'm being clear, a short example: Base game: Akula, 688i, Kilo, Orion, Seahawk, Perry, Udaloy. Full database, 10 singleplayer missions and a dynamic campaign. Mission editor. Some kind of DW as it should be (IMHO).
Then in the app store you can buy new platforms (from a wide offer of many countries), more single missions, new campaigns (maybe for new platforms, like: buy Virginia class SSN: 5$ or buy the "brand new Virginia SSN Campaign" for 10$ or 12$ with the controllable Virginia included).
So you can have base game: 50$, 5 new controllables: 25$, a singleplayer-10-mission-pack: 8$, two new campaigns: 20$ and the modding tool: 20$ = 123$

As talked before, being able to mod the game is needed, but for granting people to buy the new controllables and no making them themselves maybe the user-created ones cannot be used in multiplayer or so.

And, of course, the add-ons have not to be expensive at all. I would gladly pay 5$ for a new platform, but not 20$. Maybe seems too low 5$ but If it costs few I will spend more than if it's expensive; I would surely pay 30$ in 2 controllables and a campaign and sure I would not pay 20$ for only one of those.

OK, I bored you enough
Old 12-16-10, 11:27 AM   #34
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Downloads: 82

I bet for that aswell.A base game followed by modular releases adding sceneries(SRTM data + ports and naval stations),and new controllable 3d platforms and systems,thus including surface units also and fully operative Carriers(even though they could cost a bit more).
I think that is the future concerning Combat Sims,if not have a look at Fighter Ops page.

Regards and Merry Christmas.
tonibamestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-10, 02:17 PM   #35
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

My vote would be for DW 2.0

The main, new, feature: provide a SDK, which allows full control over AI units and not a doctrine language but use a common script language, which is debuggable etc. Also the SDK should allow to alter a scenario that means as a second tool to create dynamic and interesting missions...
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 05:45 PM   #36
Illender
Watch

Downloads: 5

I want to be able to launch and land on a carrier.
Illender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 08:26 PM   #37
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I wanna take off from a carrier
Sometime before I die
Strap that Viper to a catapult and watch the sucker fly
200 knots in under two seconds
That's my kind of fun
Do a barrel roll right after takeoff
Just like in top gun

But I don't wanna land
Allow me to explain and you'll understand
It ain't about the landing
Why would I care?
You never have a crosswind
and you never have to flare
You got 4 f--kin wires
How can you miss?
I can't think of anything that's easier than this
But once you're on the deck my friend
You're never the same again
'Cause now you're stuck on a boat
In the middle of nowhere
With 5,000 other men!
Old 12-30-10, 08:33 PM   #38
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illender View Post
I want to be able to launch and land on a carrier.
You can do that now in DW with both the Seahawk and P-3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
Strap that Viper to a catapult and watch the sucker fly
I thought a Viper was an F-16.

Unless you are talking about the Vipers launched from Battlestars...

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 02:33 PM   #39
Illender
Watch

Downloads: 5

the P-3 can land on the CV? does it hook?
do you have to set the CV as base for thr p-3 or 'hawk?
time to immerse myself again, see you i a week lol
Illender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 04:02 PM   #40
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike View Post
You can do that now in DW with both the Seahawk and P-3.

I thought a Viper was an F-16.

Unless you are talking about the Vipers launched from Battlestars...
It is an F-16. It's a song written by some Chair Force guys. Though the line about no crosswinds and not having to flare would have given that away. =) Yeah, I'm usually a "navy guy" but when you fly Falcon 4 long enough, some of the Air Farce culture kind of seeps in...
Old 12-31-10, 04:08 PM   #41
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illender View Post
the P-3 can land on the CV? does it hook?
do you have to set the CV as base for thr p-3 or 'hawk?
time to immerse myself again, see you i a week lol
No hook on the P-3, the Carrier landing thing is a bug/feature.

You can land on enemy platforms too.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 06:06 PM   #42
zakarpatska
Loader

Downloads: 127

I vote for a DW 2.0 as well. It could even be an SC 2.0 as I mainly play the submarines.

Early post war submarines would be a great addition so that there could be cold war scenarios.

More realistic and detailed stations would be great as well.

An upgrade to the graphics would be great, but given the nature of the game, not critical.
zakarpatska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 11:02 PM   #43
Pilot_76
Chief

Downloads: 427

Basically:

-new DW with the graphics to the level of SH's

- Sonar, Fire Control Stations etc. with the graphics from Sierra's Fast Attack

-single and multiplayer (with the ability to jump in/out anytime) fully dynamic campaign (like Falcon 4.0, DID's Eurofighter 2000 etc.).

- be able to dock at ports and refuel, rearm.

- Just like in SH, navigate through the whole world without loading any maps.

-Walk on the ship/sub (without SH5 bugs of course).

-One thing that I'd like is to have some sort of "Patrol Mode" in peace time. Being given an area to patrol than prep the sub and leave. Than random events might happen such as to spy on some ships, collect data, SAR, to the point of a full war being declared in mid patrol.

-Being able to name the crew and their rank/station.

-1930's to present day Subs/ships to choose from

-A nice PDF called "The Dummies Guide for Firing Solution: From Learning that the World is round to sticking a torpedo in someone's hull plus: a 1600 pages Power Point presentation on TMA: What, Where, How, Why"
Pilot_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 12:04 AM   #44
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89

It's not going to happen anytime soon.

No commitment, no money, no means, no time, not enough perceived market and unwilling.

On the notion not having enough perceived market interest is that the most successful things in this life don't copy themselves over other successful things but CREATING A NEW TREND is the keyword for having successful at selling anything. Gosh one can make it so that people are made to be irrational enough to buy rocks at ridiculously high price and they will if they think that's cool and many people internalize and support the idea or value.

Been proven by the success of less than quality products out there.

The current lack of simulation games is no indication of the genre being unpopular but an indication of the lack of game developer willingness to develop simulation games. Titles such as IL-2 and Silent Hunter 3 are enough proof that gamers aren't unsophisticated stupid people. Well thought and well polished games in ANY genre including that of simulation will always get appreciated AND WILL DRAW gamers unfamiliar at first to the genre.
Old 01-05-11, 06:12 AM   #45
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post

The current lack of simulation games is no indication of the genre being unpopular but an indication of the lack of game developer willingness to develop simulation games. Titles such as IL-2 and Silent Hunter 3 are enough proof that gamers aren't unsophisticated stupid people. Well thought and well polished games in ANY genre including that of simulation will always get appreciated AND WILL DRAW gamers unfamiliar at first to the genre.
I think in the 80's and early 90's there was no possibility to create games with graphics/sound that attracts the masses. Thus, simulation genre was attractive for game developers, because it provides a good genre for complex game logic. And since most of Amiga/C64/PC owners were techies that fitted well together.

But now the world has changed: More and more users use mobile devices/tablet PCs and the casual user will abandon PCs and will use tablet PCs and similar devices for obvious reasons (simpler to use, most users are no power users, sitting endless hours on PCs)
I've seen studies that also casual users dealing with buisness software (finance etc.) might move to tablet PCs by 2020.

I think the problem is that the casual user wants to play simple games. Nevertheless, there might be market if a naval simulation might provide a 'casual' /stripped down mode with a lower price for that target group.

A naval sim on a tablet PC might be really cool due to its slow pace..the perfect fit for the couch!
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote