SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-05-10, 10:25 AM   #76
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave74 View Post
If the stadimeter is fixed in DWs UI what happens with the green lines on the RM of this mod? They should be obsolete, no?

And yes, the UI's interface makes the SH3 dials obsolete for good. I'd keep those because they are more realistic and get rid of the more modern ones to help decluttering the screen.
There are 3 versions of Reaper7's ERM. You have Magnum's version with the green lines for those using the broken stadimeter. You have Reaper7's original one. And you have mine with the UIs mod.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 03:11 AM   #77
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

I try to explain once more the idea behind this mod. In the stock game the stadimeter is useless and that was the biggest problem for all of us because it was impossible to read the range of the targets. TWD and Reaper worked out a solution for this, but booth are based more on a automated solution where the stadimeter will snap to the right place giving the exact distance to the target without any room for human error. That was the main issue that bothered me playing on high realism.

So what I did was to gather all the SH5 merchant and war flotilla and mark on the manual with a green line where the stadimeter should stay on the target to have the correct range. But correct range is something that will depend on player and not on the script/machine. You, the player, is who control these reading so closer the target is, better results you get. For long shots, for ex. more than 5km, it will be very difficult to get the correct range and is a bigger chance for a miss. No way to become Otto Kretschmer from day one.

Also, the weather is another important issue... on stormy/fogy weather you will have hard time to get the right range even on close contacts, the machine/script will not help you to snap the stadimeter on targets even if is hardly visible. Looking in the manual you will know where you will have to align the stadimeter, but doing that will depend only on your skill and experience. And your mouse probably ... :P
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 04:29 PM   #78
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper7 View Post
Thanks Magnum for the test mission. Willplay aroud a bit and see if its worth doing anything regarding this Issue.
I sure hope that its not a lost cause, if so manual targeting goes out the window for SH5. And if manual targeting is out, SH5 is out.
My whole mod is based around getting SH5 to be playable in Maunal Targeting only, hence the RAOBF's ets and if lenghts and heights are all wrong then it just makes a mess of everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Yes, we are talking about the core of the manual targeting here. If this can't be fixed, we can just dream about playing a sim.
A bit late to this discussion, but wanted to add my experience. After Arclight had released his "More Realistic Periscope 1.3" mod last year, I spent a lot of time manually calculating ranges using the mast heights in Reaper7's "Recognition manual v 1.02". I can confirm that the mast height info was accurate enough to manually target and regularly hit ships out to around 3,000 meters in the PQ-17 mission. Manual Targeting is very doable in game.

second, is the info in Magnum's and Reaper7's RecManual the same? or does Magnum's have the more up to date info?

Last edited by Bilge_Rat; 01-24-11 at 04:50 PM.
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 04:54 PM   #79
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

This particular mod does only 2 things:
- Stadimeter fix for those who dont like using an automated/scripted version, usable only with the stock game.
- Skins and enhancement for Reapers original ERM.

But here are 2 links/topics that might interest you:
RAOBF
Manos Scopes for SH5
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 05:01 PM   #80
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
A bit late to this discussion, but wanted to add my experience. After Arclight had released his "More Realistic Periscope 1.3" mod last year, I spent a lot of time manually calculating ranges using the mast heights in Reaper7's "Recognition manual v 1.02". I can confirm that the mast height info was accurate enough to manually target and regularly hit ships out to around 3,000 meters in the PQ-17 mission. Manual Targeting is very doable in game.

second, is the info in Magnum's and Reaper7's RecManual the same? or does Magnum's have the more up to date info?
The info is the same as they both use the same info from the stock cfg files I edited on to the Ship Images.
I have just came back to Sh5, and have found out that Tonilo Coyote
has since found out the correct stats for Mastr-Height and lenght for all the current Sh5 ship models.
I will be using these to redo the info in the ship images of the recognition manual.

These can then be updated for all 3 versions of the Rec Man.
  1. Mine
  2. Magnum's
  3. TDC's
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 05:13 PM   #81
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Thank you guys, I am just getting back into SH5 myself. So many new mods to check out..
Old 01-24-11, 07:05 PM   #82
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
There are 3 versions of Reaper7's ERM. You have Magnum's version with the green lines for those using the broken stadimeter. You have Reaper7's original one. And you have mine with the UIs mod.
Hi TDW,

In your ERM version that is in the UIs mod at some ships you do not have writed mast and lenght of the ship. It is OK is i will install Reaper7's original mod after your UIs mod?

Thank's
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-12, 04:12 PM   #83
57B
Swabbie

Downloads: 300
Default No info in ERM

Be sure to cross check aspect ratio and refresh rate of monitor to game setting
Any conflict will cause inf to not be shown!!! I know this is a little late but I had this problem and a it's a simple fix
57B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 05:06 AM   #84
Ceranimo
Swabbie

Downloads: 6

All links in first post were broken. Can you share me this mod with v2.0?

I got v2.1 from here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=170292

But this mod doesn't show the height line for the stadimeter. I need v2.0 for this lines.

Thank you.
Ceranimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 08:45 AM   #85
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceranimo View Post
All links in first post were broken. Can you share me this mod with v2.0?

I got v2.1 from here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=170292

But this mod doesn't show the height line for the stadimeter. I need v2.0 for this lines.

Thank you.
This mod is included in TDW's New UIs as optional mod
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 09:12 AM   #86
Ceranimo
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
This mod is included in TDW's New UIs as optional mod
Thank you for answer.

Unfortunately, I'm very very new in using mods. Can you explain more?

Where can i download TDW? I can't find in forum.
Old 06-25-13, 09:40 AM   #87
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Thank you for answer.
My pleasure

Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm very very new in using mods. Can you explain more?
yes: the game is almost unplayable with the stock UI. In order to obviate this problem, several modders have developped their own user interfaces. Two of the most popular are New UIs by TDW and CSP MaGui by Dr. Jones.

Together with many other improvements, they also include completely new ship recognition manuals. If, nonetheless, for any reason you want to keep using the stock recognition manual (but with the improvements introduced by Reaper7 with his "Enhanced Recognition Manual"), you can use New UIs, and enable on top of it the version of "Enhanced Recognition Manual" included in the same package as optional mod.
Old 06-25-13, 10:43 AM   #88
Ceranimo
Swabbie

I installed these multiple mods. Really thanks, this is very strange and looks better.

But still, in ship recognition manual, there are no height lines for ships.

Is there any setting to enable for lines? I didn't find yet.

Editing post because, I have a question more. How can i calculate ships distance from me instead of using stadimeter?

Last edited by Ceranimo; 06-25-13 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Question asked
Old 06-25-13, 11:47 AM   #89
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
But still, in ship recognition manual, there are no height lines for ships.

Is there any setting to enable for lines? I didn't find yet.
Which lines? If I remember correctly, after locking on you target (spacebar in periscope view) and recognizing the ship, you must align the horizontal scope centerline with ship's waterline. At this point you can activate the stadimeter and drag the mouse until the waterline of the "ghost" image reaches the topmost point of ship's highest mast. That is easier done than said; look at the below image for a visula example :

Quote:
Editing post because, I have a question more. How can i calculate ships distance from me instead of using stadimeter?
In many ways.

For a start, you can use the "Range - Angle Of Bow Finder" (RAOBF) also featured in TDW's and in Dr. Jones UI mods. Refer for its usage to the readme included in New UI's package, to the in game tutorial made by Trevally (New UI's compatible) downloadable from this page, or to this other post by the same Trevally.

If the target is out of sight and only detected as an hydrophone contact, you should use the four bearings method, for plotting its relative position and course on map.

I am sure there are several other methods you can use for estimating target's range, but the ones described above are by far the most popular ones
Old 06-25-13, 12:16 PM   #90
Ceranimo
Swabbie

I am very appreciative, thank you for your effort to answer me.

Quote:
Which lines? If I remember correctly, after locking on you target (spacebar in periscope view) and recognizing the ship, you must align the horizontal scope centerline with ship's waterline. At this point you can activate the stadimeter and drag the mouse until the waterline of the "ghost" image reaches the topmost point of ship's highest mast.

In this fotograph, the green lines which are i mentioned before. This lines indicate "ghost" images bottom line or water line, if I don't misunderstand .

I gave up for searching this mod with lines. Now I'm looking your advices for calculating distance.

Thank you again .