SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-08, 05:25 PM   #1
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7
Default [Rel] Playable Maya

Update to version 1.1. Made the 8 inch Turret the playable 'Deck Gun' and a few other minor changes.
Update Version 1.2 Fixed some sounds and one gun had the wrong shells.
http://files.filefront.com/IJN+Maya+.../fileinfo.html

This is the Heavy Cruiser Maya, sister ship to the Takao. It is built on a Gato (mostly) and made with 1.5 (I don't have a 1.4 install so I don't know if it will work) There is still some work to be done. The bridge needs to be moved (Keltos is trying to get it to work as I was unable. The 3D is two objects not one, so it's creating headaches.)
Also I don't like the location of the default A01 and 02 flak guns so they are going to be moved. And a few other small things that need to be tidied up. I want to thank all those who helped by answering some questions I had. Without your help it wouldn't be working. I'm learning as I go. Please let me know how you like or don't like it.

Download from Filefront, extract to your MOD folder. There are two missions included in the download. I can make more if people use it. I hope I remembered to include all the files.:hmm:

Peabody

Edit: fixed the download link

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Last edited by peabody; 07-22-08 at 07:26 PM.
peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 07:48 PM   #2
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Thanks, Peabody. Glad you got her goingWill take her out for a spin (hope I don't get attacked by myself)

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 08:30 PM   #3
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trucker
Thanks, Peabody. Glad you got her goingWill take her out for a spin (hope I don't get attacked by myself)
Watch out for those torpedos, I did get attacked by myself! BOOOM. Forgot the ship is going 35 knots and the torp dropped in the water halfway back. Well, it hit me in the bow.:rotfl:. So I moved the tubes up to the front and made them invisible, but if you use them, you want to be going slow and straight.

Hope you like it, I should have put Beta in the title, it really isn't done.

I guess I didn't do the link right, I thought it was kind of long. It just dls it doesn't go to the filefront site.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 07-07-08, 01:17 AM   #4
Wolfling04
Frogman

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 0

Are we able to use the Maya for Career mode?
Wolfling04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 02:24 AM   #5
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfling04
Are we able to use the Maya for Career mode?
Not at the moment. I am working on a Japanese Campaign right now. I don't know if anyone else is.

The Maya is built on a Gato so you can't use it on the German side. I should have had the Campaign done but I got sidetracked making the Maya.
Testing the campaign has been the problem for me. This modding is all new and I have to keep doing missions to see if I have enough targets or too many targets, etc.

But when you load a Single mission, the game loads all the background stuff too, so you can go anywhere you want to play. You don't have to stay where the mission is. One mission included starts at Saipan, so you could head over to Midway or Pearl. You could do this one mission at a time. Problem is you can't refuel or reload without restarting. But I could put in a Jap navy base at Saipan so you could, it wouldn't be the same as a campaign, you wouldn't get those beautiful medals.

I'll put in the base and upload it, if you want to use it,ok. If not maybe someone else will. It's up at filefront "Maya Task Force and Refit" I put the refit at Wake Island. I hope the refit works the same as with a sub. I never tried it.

http://files.filefront.com/Maya+Task.../fileinfo.html

Peabody

Old 07-07-08, 03:26 AM   #6
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18
Default bridge

Ok I re-worked the Bridge, had to flip a few faces, and I exported it using channel 2 from 3ds.

in the .rar you have the uv file and the obj file, here's a screenshot :

download link :

http://files.filefront.com/Maya+towe.../fileinfo.html

Last edited by keltos01; 07-07-08 at 03:47 AM.
keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 10:27 AM   #7
Ishigami
Navy Dude

Downloads: 20

Thank you so much peabody!
Ishigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 11:23 AM   #8
peabody
Admiral

Didn't work Keltos, but thanks for trying. I have to go wire a house right now but I'll PM you later.

Peabody

Old 07-07-08, 11:46 AM   #9
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 12:23 PM   #10
Ishigami
Navy Dude

I’m a bit confused.

If I want to create a single player mission for your Maya I need to make an American mission and place the Maya from the Japanese submarine roster as player unit am I right?

Okay but won’t this result in incompatibility to any other playable unit (e.g. playing the Mission with Fubuki Destroyer instead of Maya is impossible) and later releases of your Maya? Isn’t this a bit impractical?

You changed the weapon layout quite a bit. Isn’t it possible to use the weapon layout of the game maybe even the original (damn she had over one hundred 25mm AA guns!)?
The large American 5” turrets look really misplaced, Maya had 6x 127mm double AA guns on these positions. These two 4” (?) below the bridge are bit too much, if I remember right the original had two triple 25mm AA guns on this location, the Maya from the game got two single 25mm AA guns.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to sound ungrateful. It’s just that I think you could improve your mod by sticking to the original or game version instead of mixing it up with American weapons.

It would be great if you could change the controllable turret to one of the 8” turrets.

If you want to recreate the original Maya I guess you will find all types of AA guns she had and their location in the book “Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War”.

P.S.: This guy from the watch crew on the current bridge got his feet into the deck. You need to set him a bit higher ^^
Old 07-07-08, 07:41 PM   #11
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishigami
I’m a bit confused.

If I want to create a single player mission for your Maya I need to make an American mission and place the Maya from the Japanese submarine roster as player unit am I right?

Okay but won’t this result in incompatibility to any other playable unit (e.g. playing the Mission with Fubuki Destroyer instead of Maya is impossible) and later releases of your Maya? Isn’t this a bit impractical?

1. Yes The Maya is built with a Gato and added to the Japanese Roster.

2. Incompatibility with other playable units, not with the Clemson DD, FletcherDD, Uss Orion, and the soon to be released Pt boat and possibly some others I am not aware of. Some are built on German subs some are built on Us Subs. There is no reason it would be incompatable with future releases of the Maya.
Were you planning on using two ships at the same time? Like multiplayer?
When I started modding there was not the big 'surface ship' excitement that is happening now, and I WAS planning a Japanese Campaign and I did not have the Uboat add on. So my ship is Japanese. I built it with a Gato. If you have a single mission you want compatable with the Fubuki, load it into mission editor and replace the Maya with the German Uboat and save as a German mission, done. Everything else can stay the same. I did that for the Convoy Guardian mission, it was written for the Fubuki when it was first released. I just deleted the uboat, put in Maya and saved as allied mission, took less time to do it then to tell you about it.

Quote:
You changed the weapon layout quite a bit. Isn’t it possible to use the weapon layout of the game maybe even the original (damn she had over one hundred 25mm AA guns!)?
Quote:
The large American 5” turrets look really misplaced, Maya had 6x 127mm double AA guns on these positions.

Not in game she didn't have 100, every single AA that was on the "layout of the game" is still on that ship, except for the 5inch. The only AA guns I changed were the "5in_AA_Double_turret_base_Jp" which were 5 inch AA guns, I didn't think anyone would want a Heavy Cruiser to go around shooting down airplanes. The Japanese Regular 5" would not fit. I went through the gunsradar.dat files and only two guns would fit, the 6" single barrel and the 5" double unless I went to a 4 inch or smaller. Everything else was too big. And the real Maya may have had 6 127 AA but the game had what I listed, check the .eqp file in the Maya folder. There is not a big choice for Japanese stuff becuse they are not playable.

Quote:
These two 4” (?) below the bridge are bit too much, if I remember right the original had two triple 25mm AA guns on this location, the Maya from the game got two single 25mm AA guns.
You are right there were 2 single 25mm AA guns, I only put the four inch to use as playabe guns but forgot you can only play ONE Deck gun and TWO AA. There is a triple on the platform in front of that.

Quote:
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to sound ungrateful. It’s just that I think you could improve your mod by sticking to the original or game version instead of mixing it up with American weapons.
Sorry you don't like it, I made changes where I didn't have much to choose from. The five inch were AA guns and in real live were Dual Purpose. If I made them Dual Purpose, when one fires they all fired. Both sides of the ship. So one side is shooting at the enemy and the other side was shooting toward (not at) you own ships. So I had to make compromises. Other than that I did not delete any guns from the 'game version'. the two AA that were on the platform where the 4 inch are, are now just in front of it, behind the 8 inch. and two AAs were added toward the front of the ship for playable units. All the other AAs are exactly where they were on the 'game version'

Quote:
It would be great if you could change the controllable turret to one of the 8” turrets.

That was just a personal choise, I didn't really like shooting the turret. But maybe a good suggestion.

Quote:
If you want to recreate the original Maya I guess you will find all types of AA guns she had and their location in the book “Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War”.

You couldn't possibly use it. You would run out of ammo and there would be so many guns shooting, the game would probably go to 3fps. If you check the eqp file you will see that there were slots for a lot more AA guns but the devs apparently redesigned the boat to make it different than the Takao and they are all null because there is no place to put them unless you put them right in front of the 8 inch turrets and if I put them beside it, it can't swing. I didn't design the boat and I did the best I could with what I had to work with. I agree with the two four inch may be a bit much, but as for the 5 inch, I played it with the other ones. I could not even beat a DD, in fact I got sunk once by a merchant ship with two deck guns.

Quote:
P.S.: This guy from the watch crew on the current bridge got his feet into the deck. You need to set him a bit higher ^^

I forgot to change him, I knew about it, just slipped my mind. Actually he was injured in battle and doesn't have any feet. :rotfl:.

Sorry you were dissapointed but appreciate you being honest. Do I get point for putting the right flag on it?

Peabody

Last edited by peabody; 07-07-08 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-08-08, 11:38 AM   #12
Ishigami
Navy Dude

No I’m not using two playable ships at a time. I just interchange them with JSGME.
It’s just that the playable Yamato, Fubuki and Scheer are build on German subs and therefore I’m not able to use the same mission. Of course saving a mission as an American one is easy but it got some other disadvantages like we are not able to use her in the campaign mode and we are not able to use bases to resupply (right?).
It’s a bit surprising and I have to admit a bit inconvenient but that’s all, no major problem.

Okay I see you replaced the 5” AA guns for gameplay and debuging reasons. Now I understand, yea well sometimes you have to make compromises.

Will you replace these 4” guns? I think it’s kinda pointless to have a playable gun but not being able to shoot at a target that’s starboard.
Those two playable AA guns are quite realistic. She actually had there two single 25mm AA guns. That’s why I was a bit confused it looked like you wanted to add the missing AA guns to be more like the original but changed some other stuff to being not “historically accurate” (correct term?). But now it makes sense.

I really think a playable 8” would be better. First of all we got a larger turning angle and it makes considerably more damage. The 8” reloads faster than the 11” (e.g. Scheer) or 18” (e.g. Yamato) so we don’t have that much standby time.

And you got me wrong. I’m still pleased with her! She is stable (I got no major bugs
(except the bugs all these ships have) or crashes) and nice.

I made some small adjustments like resizing the picture for the menus so it isn’t cut off anymore, renamed her in the menu to “Takao Class” and the unit back to “IJN Maya”. I exchanged the stock textures with the textures from the “retextured warship mod”, thanks to that she is not looking that rough anymore. (my limit of modding... wuah I'm so noob...)
I just wanted to give some inputs and of course influence the direction of development. :rotfl:
Old 07-08-08, 01:41 PM   #13
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
No I’m not using two playable ships at a time. I just interchange them with JSGME.
It’s just that the playable Yamato, Fubuki and Scheer are build on German subs and therefore I’m not able to use the same mission. Of course saving a mission as an American one is easy but it got some other disadvantages like we are not able to use her in the campaign mode and we are not able to use bases to resupply (right?).
It’s a bit surprising and I have to admit a bit inconvenient but that’s all, no major problem.

Okay I see you replaced the 5” AA guns for gameplay and debuging reasons. Now I understand, yea well sometimes you have to make compromises.

Will you replace these 4” guns? I think it’s kinda pointless to have a playable gun but not being able to shoot at a target that’s starboard.
Those two playable AA guns are quite realistic. She actually had there two single 25mm AA guns. That’s why I was a bit confused it looked like you wanted to add the missing AA guns to be more like the original but changed some other stuff to being not “historically accurate” (correct term?). But now it makes sense.

I really think a playable 8” would be better. First of all we got a larger turning angle and it makes considerably more damage. The 8” reloads faster than the 11” (e.g. Scheer) or 18” (e.g. Yamato) so we don’t have that much standby time.

And you got me wrong. I’m still pleased with her! She is stable (I got no major bugs
(except the bugs all these ships have) or crashes) and nice.

I made some small adjustments like resizing the picture for the menus so it isn’t cut off anymore, renamed her in the menu to “Takao Class” and the unit back to “IJN Maya”. I exchanged the stock textures with the textures from the “retextured warship mod”, thanks to that she is not looking that rough anymore. (my limit of modding... wuah I'm so noob...)
I just wanted to give some inputs and of course influence the direction of development. :rotfl:
The four inch turned out to be a mistake because I put in two, that's why it won't swing to starboard because you will shoot the other gun. Being a beginner at this I thought you could use two Deckguns, then after it was all installed, I realized it was the AA that had a choice of two.

Like I commented, when I started to mod (which I know nothing about) I only had the Pacific Campaign. I made the in game Sen Toku playable and was working on a Japanese campaign and then everything changed and there were ship being released almost daily. Well, I didn't like the uboat interiors and was used to where everythting was on the Fleet boat so I used that. I did not expect anyone to use this in a Campaign anyway, I find that surprising, because I noticed with the other ships that there is no ability to shoot at more than one target at a time so to attack a convoy for example, you have 3-6 DDs shooting at you. So I figured the Single mission approach and then expand to Single Patrols. Longer and more involved but with a 'Task Force' not solo. Still not Career level, I know, but more the way I was thinking the ship would be used.
I'm understand what you are saying, I just wasn't looking at it that way. (Campaign wise).

Please explain "resizing the picture for the menus". It must be something I missed, I don't know what it is that's getting cut off. If you are talking about the Quick mission screen, that happened with 1.5. For some reason when they went from 1.4 to 1.5 they changed the title and date to double space and that pushes the picture down. It double spaces after Tile and again after dat and that pushes the pic way down. It was one complaint, although minor, with some of the changes. That pic is the proper size, 256X400. Maybe I will start putting Title and date on the same line that will solve it, if that is what you are talking about. Let me know if that is what you meant or if there is something else I missed.

I did upload a mission (same one that was included) but added a base for refit. "Maya Task Force and Refit". You can refit at Wake and go anywhere you want.

The two AAs on the front were listed in the eqp file as NULL, two of the many I mentioned were not on the ship. I think they used the same file for Takao but deleted some of the guns to make the two ships "different". So I just put two guns there for now. The Jap ones would not be playable without taking them out of the gunsradar.dat and make a separate entry add to the Upgradepack and Weapon file etc. It was a shortcut to get it released so it could be used (not an excuse just an explanation) something that can be fixed.

As for the textures, anyone can add the retextured MOD. As I am sure you realize, they are not mine and I am not going to use them to change the texture of the ship.
People can download the retexture MOD and run it.

I am a complete noob at modding too, I just bought the game the end of January and didn't know what modding was until I came to subsim. And this is the first time I ever did a ship. But if you start changing classes and names, you should be careful, you may end up conflicting with 'in game' ships. So if you want to make a mission and use a couple of Mayas or a Maya and a Takao, you may get CTDs. If what you changed works that's good.

Peabody

Old 07-12-08, 03:07 AM   #14
Ishigami
Navy Dude

There is this silhouette picture in the torpedo, crew and damage control screen. The stern and bow was cut off and it was a bit too deep. Maybe my resolution (1280x1024) is at fault, I don’t know. Any way I resized the ship in the picture and lifted it a bit, that’s all.

Like I said that are just some minor adjustments for myself.
No CTD this far so it’s working for me (atm).

Well good work!
I’m looking forward to your next release or project.
Old 07-12-08, 10:25 AM   #15
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
There is this silhouette picture in the torpedo, crew and damage control screen. The stern and bow was cut off and it was a bit too deep. Maybe my resolution (1280x1024) is at fault, I don’t know. Any way I resized the ship in the picture and lifted it a bit, that’s all.

Like I said that are just some minor adjustments for myself.
No CTD this far so it’s working for me (atm).

Well good work!
I’m looking forward to your next release or project.
Oh, ok, I thought you meant the screen going into the mission where the pic is pushed down. The pic came from the "NCA_Maya_II_sil.dds" which is in the submarine folder. So you can compare.

I have an unhappy sailor, his feet are no longer in the deck so now he has to shine his shoes everyday.
The 4 inch are off. And the 8 inch is the Deck gun. The flak guns (single 25mm I think) went back where they were, the position of the 4 inch.

Been a little busy lately re-wiring a friends house, so it's taken a while to get this done. Then somewhere I made a mistake and all the guns stopped firing. I couldn't find the mistake so decided it was easier to start over rather than keep looking because the only part I had been working on was making the Turret a deck gun.

You did comment the 8 inch reloads faster than some, the sim file was set for 15 sec but it actually was more like a minute. I realize it takes a while IRL but I changed the setting so it actually loads about the same as the gun in front of it which is faster than real life. But the ones shooting at you are also reloading faster then they should. My other 8 inch were firing about 3 times for every one on the playable unit. So I made the change. I never timed the Spree but it is set for 25 sec.

I left the US 5 inch, it didn't make sense to go back to the Jap guns since they didn't work right. I am going to do some testing and see if I made a mistake but for now they are still US.

I posted a question about the shell, the 8 inch are actually using 6 inch shells. Didn't get an answer yet, so I may just go ahead and try changing it and see what happens. It also doesn't use the HE which the info from Sailor Steve has a website that says they DID use HE and AP and another that is not in game, so I may change that too. If the shell will work, haven't tried it yet.

I'll go ahead and post what I have so far and you can test it and see it works. (but you don't get paid for testing. :rotfl:.)

Edit: I still have been unable to move the bridge due to texute problem. Since it is actually two objects and I don't know 3D modelling I can't get rid of the bars and get it back into the game. The texture always ends up with move vertices than the obj.

Peabody