SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Red Storm Rising
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-29-06, 04:42 PM   #16
Deathblow
Captain

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Oh come on. Where besides DW and SCS's "pulled-outta-thin-air" inclusions has this ever been described as an actual sub tatic. Its a cheat, just admit it.

No where in the history of books, movies, accounts has a sub captain ever said. "Oh Nos! They've got us on sonar, quick someone grab the SAM and run topside for a second!"

Then again, I may be wrong, I'm sure stranger things have happened.
Old 04-29-06, 04:58 PM   #17
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

It's pretty well documented that quite a few Russian subs had SAM systems aboard, some even mounted in the sail. :P
Old 04-29-06, 05:02 PM   #18
Deathblow
Captain

Fine then. I think we should simulate the 2min delay to pup the hatch and get the crewman up the sailhatch to the bridge, another 2min to get the SAM handed up and ready, and then another 2 min after launch before the sub can dive, to store the equipment, get down the ladder and seal the hatch before the dive.... :hmm:

... thennnnn it wouldn't be cheating!
Old 04-29-06, 09:33 PM   #19
Mau
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3

Agree with that last one!!
Luftwolf would it be possible?
Old 04-30-06, 01:13 AM   #20
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblow
Fine then. I think we should simulate the 2min delay to pup the hatch and get the crewman up the sailhatch to the bridge, another 2min to get the SAM handed up and ready, and then another 2 min after launch before the sub can dive, to store the equipment, get down the ladder and seal the hatch before the dive.... :hmm:

I think 6 minutes is a bit extreme, but in principle you're correct, and it woudl be nice to see some sort of delay implemented. In any case, it isn't, so there isn't much we can do about it. The good news is that the helos often don't pick you up unless you surface to shoot them down in the first place. =)
Old 04-30-06, 03:59 AM   #21
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblow

But considering this is an emergency procedure, you won't be checking everything. What would probably happen is you'd be undogging the outer hatch even as the submarine climbs from PD to sail depth (in my attempts, it tends to take a minute or two in the game) so it is either only one click away from idle or in the idle position being pressed down only by seawater. The SAM guy would be pressing on the hatch so it'd open as soon as the water is no longer pressing down.

The SAM guy probably has the SAM on his back and so it won't have to be handed up. He just goes through - a few seconds and maybe another five to unsling his weapon once he's on top. You'd probably take a few seconds anyway to realize that all of a sudden, the sail button had become available during your climb anyway.

Then you orient and shoot, the longest phase.

Then he slings his weapon back (another four seconds) and slides down the hatch as the sub crash dives. If he can't bring his weapon with him, chances are the Stinger launcher would be tossed overboard rather than time being wasted to recover it. So the current timing may not be too bad.
Old 05-29-06, 08:42 AM   #22
Deathblow
Captain

I'm having a lot of trouble with this mission. Not the mission itself, but the fact that the mission always freeezes when my sub gets within 12nm of the goal. It happens everytime no matter which route I take, north, middle, or south. I've never experienced game freezing on any other mission (single-player, campaign, or quick mission)... just this one mission and it happens each time, everytime I play it (10+ attempts, 10+ game freezes).

I'm unsure to what the source is. Because it alwasy happens at around the same time (near the goal line) I'm suspecting that its something to do with the last few triggers, probably the trigger that spawns the last opposing sub... but I can't be sure and haven't found a solution.

Does anyone else besides me experience this?:hmm: