Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 08-25-10, 06:50 AM   #1
ReFaN
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 0
Default Track IR a must?

Been trying really hard to get into the flight sim genre again, but i cant get the desired enjoyment out of it, mostly because my flight *skillz* is severely hampered by bad situational awereness, im usually dead because i lose track of the enemy airplanes.

a Track IR V5 costs about 150 euros here in sweden, should i get it?

Liverpool is my relegion, Anfield is my church. True believers never walk alone.
ReFaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 07:02 AM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Try this site:

http://www.free-track.net/english/

How to make your own cheap and easily, or so it sounds - I've not done it myself but my do if you try it successfully first
Old 08-25-10, 07:04 AM   #3
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Makes a lof difference, certainly. Greatly improved my flying in DCS (being able to see where I'm going) and allowed me to do some level of dogfighting in Il-2 (was basically flying blind without).

Just note it eats up a lot of CPU cycles. During the summer I avoid using it 'cus it greatly increases the amount of heat being vented out of the case.

Good dual or quad certainly recommended.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 07:09 AM   #4
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Imho headtracking in combat flight sims is as useful as a joystick, ie. mandatory. It makes for a lot better experience and helps tremendously with situational awareness.

As for what kind of headtracking, I'd take FT over TIR at the moment. For me FT has done everything I've needed with a fraction of the pricetag and without much of a CPU hit. The majority of the time I'm seeing 1-3% on a single core, topping out at around 5%, and I'm only using a chepo webcam which isn't the most efficient solution. You can then spend the extra money on a new monitor for example
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 07:14 AM   #5
ReFaN
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincuan View Post
Imho headtracking in combat flight sims is as useful as a joystick, ie. mandatory. It makes for a lot better experience and helps tremendously with situational awareness.

As for what kind of headtracking, I'd take FT over TIR at the moment. For me FT has done everything I've needed with a fraction of the pricetag and without much of a CPU hit. The majority of the time I'm seeing 1-3% on a single core, topping out at around 5%, and I'm only using a chepo webcam which isn't the most efficient solution. You can then spend the extra money on a new monitor for example
i got a good 24 inch monitor, a awesome joystick and a Good computer, so its all set, what is FT by the way?

Liverpool is my relegion, Anfield is my church. True believers never walk alone.
Old 08-25-10, 07:34 AM   #6
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Free Track
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Try this site:

How to make your own cheap and easily, or so it sounds - I've not done it myself but my do if you try it successfully first

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 08:38 AM   #7
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Does Free Track support 6DoF?
If not you should go with Track IR. I've a Track IR3 that got shipped without the vector expansion and it was absolutely crap. Every forward or sidewards motion of my head got translated into a yaw or pitch motion by Track IR and made flying a Pita. It was up for scrapping that thing or get the vector expansion (which is nowadays a standard in all Track IRs and doesn't need to be acquired separately anymore). After I had decided for buying the vector expansion flying became a lot more stress-less than before. Actually even if you don't use the 6DoF function the Track IR is now able to tell forward motion from pitch motion etc. and will simply ignore those movements if the game doesn't support them, or if you switch them off (like I do). If Free Track is just two dimensional you will need to learn to really not move your head unless you absolutely want it, which guarantees a stiff neck (at least I always had one in the pre vector expansion time) and plenty of frustration if you are aiming at an enemy, move your head subconsciously closer to the monitor for a better view and see how your virtual head turns away and you lose sight of your target.
Old 08-25-10, 10:27 AM   #8
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Does Free Track support 6DoF?
Yes it does!

I built my last year and it works beautifully with all my flightsims

I use a WiiMote as IR-camera

Old 08-25-10, 12:54 PM   #9
ReFaN
Grey Wolf

Been trying some Rise of Flight some more today, dogfights are impossible, i keep loosing targets because not being able to keep track of them because my Joystick head turns to sluggishly, and because every time i have an enemy in my sight and try to Roll to the left to keep track my Joystick automaticly yaws aswell because it spins slightly, seems i have to order a TrackIR, or build a own one with FT and rudder pedals and a new Joystick, just hope its worth it

Old 08-25-10, 04:55 PM   #10
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Trust me once you get some form of tracking be it Track IR or other options available you will not look back. I gave myself a slap for being so late in adopting TrackIR. It makes flight sims so much more immersive and enjoyable.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 09:44 PM   #11
Foggy
Loader

Downloads: 35

I'm using TrackIR 5 in Microsauce FSX, Rise of Flight, Wings of Prey and in the racing sim GTR2 and I swear by it. I'm sure the do-it-yourself ones work just as well, my point being once you have the freedom to look around a cockpit while flying/driving, there is no going back...
Foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 03:31 PM   #12
ReFaN
Grey Wolf

I have a webcam, a Microsoft Lifecam 1000, but no head thing, could i just buy a TrackClip Pro and use it with that? or do i need a Track IR for the TrackClip to work?

Old 08-29-10, 04:46 PM   #13
Foggy
Loader

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReFaN View Post
I have a webcam, a Microsoft Lifecam 1000, but no head thing, could i just buy a TrackClip Pro and use it with that? or do i need a Track IR for the TrackClip to work?
As previously mentioned, check out the forums at the FreeTrack website, they can tell you what combinations work (some use reflective tape/paint and make their own headsets in various ways). By checking out what others have done on that site, you'll get an idea of where to go with it...

Also, check out the compatibility of your camera on their forums/lists, because some (most) cameras require either modding the camera to remove filters, or adding a sheet of negative film over the lens to filter out types of unwanted light...
Foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 05:34 PM   #14
ReFaN
Grey Wolf

i have to remove the IR filter in my Webcam, and some negative film, wich im working of prucuring.

Old 08-29-10, 07:58 PM   #15
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
By checking out what others have done on that site, you'll get an idea of where to go with it...
My all time favorite

and of course