Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 08-09-10, 04:28 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Frugalsworld

Several months ago we learned and I posted on problems with Frugal's World. But I have lost track of what went on sinc then , last info status I had was that they are set to recover from a server attack and personal problems and planned to go back online "within some weeks."

It's now maybe 7-9 months later, and when I used the old link, it sent me straight into Nirwana. Google also did not solve it, just listing many messages from last fall that they had problems.

Has anyone a confirmed sitrep on their status? Something tells me that they are gone - I hope I'm wrong!?
Old 08-09-10, 04:39 PM   #2
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Ok guys here is an update.

The server was moved and it seems the machine it was moved onto was simply not up to the job. I now need to upgrade to a new server which is going to cost an extra 50 bucks a month. However the time it is going to take to rebuild the server is the main issue. On the good news front as far as I can tell the forum backup is intact and so we should not lose any forum posts, at worst we will lose 24 hours worth.

For those that don't know I am a single parent to my 3 children these days. I also work full time. This means that the web site, although very dear to my heart, is quite low priority. It does not help that as the server went down my ex decided that she wants to try to get the house. Fortunately the kids told her outright that they don't want to live with her, they want to stay with me. This has meant that she has dropped the idea of getting custody (for now). As you can imagine it's been a very tough few weeks, actually it's been a very tough year.

My main focus in the very short term is spending this weeks school holiday with my kids at our caravan in Clacton. My next focus is going to be trying to secure my house for my kids future. My ex is willing to sign it over to me now so that she can get a place off the council but that is going to be costly and pointless if she can still take the house (or rather force me to sell it) as part of the divorce settlement.

In the background I will be trying to get the site back online particularly for the hosted sites like Cougar World and eBattalion, the latter of which I am very concious of how important it is to the people that use it while their loved ones are deployed.

FW has had a good run over the last 10 years and I don't intend it to end here, but it is going to be a bumpy road for a while.

Frugal
Is the last gen I can find, and as far as I can make out, it's still down, according to posts in the same thread from last month.
Ironic...he has a caravan in Clacton...wonder if it's at the same site I go to...

Sorry I couldn't be more help Sky.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 04:55 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Yes, I seem to remember that post by him - it is from last fall or winter. I am unable to find any relevant news from let's say spring or summer.