SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-18, 10:50 PM   #1
Destraex
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Question about submarines and layer detection for all you submarine experten.

A friend of mine asked this. I don't know what the latest tech does really. But those that play things like Command and that sort of thing may know. Any vets would be even better.

"I was wondering about the latest theories vis-a-vis the layer in submarine detection. If I’m in a sub and looking for other subs what are the considerations with the layer to maximise chance of detection of enemy subs while minimising self detection. I figure that as the chance of detecting the enemy increases so does discovery everything else being equal. If there’s no surface ships above the layer is the go?"
Destraex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 09:00 AM   #2
Mike Abberton
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 42

As a semi-literate layman, a sub generally picks an operating environment suited to its mission. If it's transiting, it's probably deep to allow a higher quiet speed. If it's hunting, it will be at the operating point that best suits its hunt.

Now, because I think you're asking where would it be best to hunt another sub, the answer would generally be "hunt where you think the other guy is." If he's hunting/patrolling, what is he hunting? Surface ships? Other subs? Is there even a layer here? What is the nature of the layer?

Regarding the layer, some games (Sub Command, Dangerous Waters) treat the layer like it is a thin sheet of glass. You're either on one side of it or the other. Other games, like Command, treat it more like a zone of mixed water with some amount of depth to it, i.e. it's at least possible that you can hide inside the layer. You're largely hidden when you're in the layer, but you're mostly blind as well.

However, if you're hunting subs, the best place to be would be either just above the layer or in the layer moving slow enough that the towed array is drooped down below the layer. If you're just above the layer, your hull sonar(s) can see above the layer and the towed array is below the layer. You're still detectable above the layer in this scenario. If you really think the target is below the layer, you can be inside the layer with the towed array below the layer. You're much less detectable to anyone, but still have detection capability below the layer.

For more information on how Command treats depth bands/layers in relation to submarines, the following linked thread contains a link to an electronic version of the Command Manual. Section 8.7 deals with depth bands/thermal layer mechanics.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3418599

Hope this helps.

Mike
Mike Abberton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 07:44 PM   #3
Destraex
Watch

Downloads: 0

Excellent answer thanks. Love it.
Destraex is offline   Reply With Quote