SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-11-19, 09:16 PM   #226
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Roger Goodell, commissioner of the NFL has released a few statements in connection with the New Orleans Saints being robbed in the NFC Championship Game against the Rams. Goodell lied when he said he spoke with New Orleans Saints players. Goodell, when confronted, admitted he never spoke with the Saints players. I think instant replay should be used in any situation where Roger Goodell addresses the media.

Quote: One complaint from Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards resulted in a letter from Goodell. Roger Goodell says NFL will review procedures

Goodell’s letter, posted on Louisiana’s government site, says the NFL basically couldn’t do anything but will take a look into its officiating procedures to avoid a similar situation in the future.
“I fully understand your personal disappointment, and the disappointment and frustration of Saints fans throughout the country,” Goodell wrote in the letter, dated Feb. 6 (via the New Orleans Times-Picayune). According to the Times-Picayune, in January Edwards wrote a letter to Goodell that stated, in part: “By missing the obvious, blatant and intentional penalty at the end of the game, the referees in Sunday’s game undermined that expectation and unfortunately were allowed to determine the winner.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/roger-g...225948507.html

This situation begs the question. Why should anyone next season, watch NFL games where the officials are intentionally and blatantly deciding the outcome of the games played ? Shouldn't the games be decided by the skills of the players on both sides ?

I know sports betting is legal now at various outlets around the U.S. I have an idea. Maybe there should be bets on whether the officials will cheat a team of a win or how many bad or blatant calls it can make in a game.

That might make things more interesting but I think I'm done. Although I'm not a fan of NHL Commissioner, Gary Bettman, I have never seen horrible calls like this in the NHL. Hockey is still the best.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 02-12-19 at 04:38 PM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 12:22 PM   #227
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

I heard a rumor that Roger Goodell, commissioner of the NFL, lied and said that he had talked with the coach and the players of the New Orleans Saints about the missed call in the NFC championship game ... when in fact he had not talked to them.

Perhaps the NFl needs new commissioner?

https://clutchpoints.com/nfl-news-tw...aled-for-2019/

The NFL has already decided upon two Thanksgiving Day matchups, settling on the Chicago Bears against the Detroit Lions and the Miami Dolphins versus the Dallas Cowboys.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 01:24 PM   #228
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I heard a rumor that Roger Goodell, commissioner of the NFL, lied and said that he had talked with the coach and the players of the New Orleans Saints about the missed call in the NFC championship game ... when in fact he had not talked to them.
Perhaps the NFl needs new commissioner?

Yes, I had said that in my previous post, #226.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
Goodell lied when he said he spoke with New Orleans Saints players. Goodell, when confronted, admitted he never spoke with the Saints players. I think instant replay should be used in any situation where Roger Goodell addresses the media.

With regards to a new NFL Commissioner, I can't remember a more inept Commissioner. I also can't think of anything that Roger Goodell has done to better or enhance the NFL or it's image. Goodell's failure to address the “ Fixing “ of games may well have cost him a number of football fans as well. When you start to lose your fan base and the revenue associated with ticket and cable access to games, you're going in the wrong direction.

The Saints are not “ lily white “ either. The Saints were disciplined for “ bountygate . “ Bountygate was where bonuses were paid out for injuring opposing players. One way of looking at this is this is “karma. “

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Or...bounty_scandal

Perhaps it's time for the team owners to look for another commissioner.
Old 02-12-19, 02:13 PM   #229
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes, I had said that in my previous post, #226.

With regards to a new NFL Commissioner, I can't remember a more inept Commissioner. I also can't think of anything that Roger Goodell has done to better or enhance the NFL or it's image. Goodell's failure to address the “ Fixing “ of games may well have cost him a number of football fans as well. When you start to lose your fan base and the revenue associated with ticket and cable access to games, you're going in the wrong direction.

The Saints are not “ lily white “ either. The Saints were disciplined for “ bountygate . “ Bountygate was where bonuses were paid out for injuring opposing players. One way of looking at this is this is “karma. “

Perhaps it's time for the team owners to look for another commissioner.
Ah ha so that's where I heard it lol
or achievement

Old 02-12-19, 03:50 PM   #230
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Quote: ... “By missing the obvious, blatant and intentional penalty at the end of the game, the referees in Sunday’s game undermined that expectation and unfortunately were allowed to determine the winner.”
Quote:
This situation begs the question. Why should anyone next season, watch NFL games where the officials are intentionally and blatantly deciding the outcome of the games played ?

There is some bad writing in that article. I think they actually meant the Rams player who committed the penalty was blatant and intentional, not that the officials intentionally missed calling it.

And yeah New England fans will rejoice on the day that bum Goodell is kicked to the curb.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 04:34 PM   #231
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
There is some bad writing in that article. I think they actually meant the Rams player who committed the penalty was blatant and intentional, not that the officials intentionally missed calling it.

And yeah New England fans will rejoice on the day that bum Goodell is kicked to the curb.

I'm not so sure on that August. I watched both Championship games and there were bad calls in both games. There was a referee official in the booth in both games and they said they were bad calls as well. I will point out 1 in each Championship game. There were more.

In the AFC Championship game, a KC Chief player was called for a 15 yard personal foul and automatic first down in roughing Tom Brady. Brady still had the ball and that play should not have been called as Brady was a legitimate target and the defensive player was going for a sack. It was said he hit Brady in the head which on replay, didn't happen, at least to the extreme that he was called.

In the NFC game, a Saints defensive back was called for interference and the ball was placed at the spot of the foul and an automatic first down. There was no interference, just a great defensive play by the Saints to break up a pass reception. I'm thinking that moved the ball 20 yards on that penalty but I could be wrong. That placed the ball for the Rams to where they eventually scored.

That's just 2 that the referee Official in the booth said should not have been called. If the referee's on the field had the same access to the replay's as the announcer's and Chief Referee in the booth, then why were these penalties called ? I think they were intentional , August. Everyone I know who watched those games agreed that they were bad calls and in the Saints / Rams game, Goodell admitted to that was as well. I also saw a face mask grab that wasn't called for a penalty in the Saints game as well.

That being said, I think we can all agree Goodell is ruining NFL Football and needs to go.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 02-12-19 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-12-19, 04:47 PM   #232
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
I'm not so sure on that August. I watched both Championship games and there were bad calls in both games. There was a referee official in the booth in both games and they said they were bad calls as well. I will point out 1 in each Championship game. There were more.

In the AFC Championship game, a KC Chief player was called for a 15 yard personal foul and automatic first down in roughing Tom Brady. Brady still had the ball and that play should not have been called as Brady was a legitimate target and the defensive player was going for a sack. It was said he hit Brady in the head which on replay, didn't happen, at least to the extreme that he was called.

In the NFC game, a Saints defensive back was called for interference and the ball was placed at the spot of the foul and an automatic first down. There was no interference, just a great defensive play by the Saints to break up a pass reception. I'm thinking that moved the ball 20 yards on that penalty but I could be wrong. That placed the ball for the Rams to where they eventually scored.

That's just 2 that the referee Official in the booth said should not have been called. If the referee's on the field had the same access to the replay's as the announcer's and Chief Referee in the booth, then why were these penalties called ? I think they were intentional , August. Everyone I know who watched those games agreed that they were bad calls and in the Saints / Rams game, Goodell admitted to that was as well. I also saw a face mask grab that wasn't called for a penalty in the Saints game as well.

That being said, I think we can all agree Goodell is ruining NFL Football and needs to go.
Okay that's the last straw ... the fans need to be in charge like in the old Rome arena days with the officials looking towards the owners boxes and asking for their opinion with a thumbs up or thumbs down.

or achievement

Old 02-12-19, 04:51 PM   #233
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

^ Now, I really like that suggestion, Mr. Quatro. At times, it seems like a gladiator sport anyhow. Hockey is getting that way more and more all the time too.

Anyone remember this ?

Old 02-12-19, 06:45 PM   #234
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
The Rams CB actually admitted he was going for the PI the whole time as he wanted to make sure he didn't give up a TD. That makes the no-call even worse!

Quote:
And Saints fans will have a parade, and declare a state holiday.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 08:32 PM   #235
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:

I see human error and a reluctance to admit being wrong but I don't see an intentional effort by the refs to control the outcome of the game.

Quote:

He is a creature of the owners and therefore his replacement might even be worse, but I will still be glad to see him go.

Old 02-12-19, 08:55 PM   #236
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
I see human error and a reluctance to admit being wrong but I don't see an intentional effort by the refs to control the outcome of the game.

He is a creature of the owners and therefore his replacement might even be worse, but I will still be glad to see him go.

I don't agree on that one August but it's all good. Regardless of the intent, it may well have cost another team a trip to the big dance. With regards to a replacement for Goodell being worse, I had never considered that but it's hard to Imagine someone being worse than Goodell.

It's interesting none of the respondents here like Goodell or have anything good to say about him.
Old 02-12-19, 09:23 PM   #237
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
I don't agree on that one August but it's all good. Regardless of the intent, it may well have cost another team a trip to the big dance. With regards to a replacement for Goodell being worse, I had never considered that but it's hard to Imagine someone being worse than Goodell.

It's interesting none of the respondents here like Goodell or have anything good to say about him.

I do agree that bad calls have a huge impact on games, which is a pity because I had bet on a Patriots Saints Superbowl and that blind ref cost me a lot of money. Somebody ought to buy that guy some glasses, maybe a coupon to an eye doctor. Seriously 50 even 20 years ago few of these would have been noticed or called but now there is instant replay footage, crystal clear and from many angles to show us exactly what happened and it's illustrating the limits of human refereeing
As for Goodell remember he was chosen by the owners and they could have replaced him long since if they felt like we do but they didn't so I don't hold out much hope for an improvement. I do hope I am wrong though for the games sake. One thing is the players need to get the final say in arbitration taken away from him or whoever the owners replace him with. It was a big mistake to negotiate that away and I hope the union corrects it when the contract is up for renewal.

Old 02-16-19, 09:04 PM   #238
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

The lawsuit part is over and we may never know the truth if the NFL stopped Kaepernick from playing in the NFL again. I heard that the AAF turned down his $10 million dollar offer to play for them.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6297825-n...CW9AuE4vyujlqM

NFL Clearly Defeated Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid by Getting a Confidentiality Agreement this is a bitter defeat the Kaepernick camp will have to swallow if they were looking for anything momentous besides a large pile of cash.
or achievement

Old 02-16-19, 10:28 PM   #239
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I watched the Cardiff Blues and the Glasgow Warriors today and found it better than the stupid bowl. Better sportsmanship, better broadcasting, better game.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-19, 09:46 AM   #240
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
The lawsuit part is over and we may never know the truth if the NFL stopped Kaepernick from playing in the NFL again. I heard that the AAF turned down his $10 million dollar offer to play for them.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6297825-n...CW9AuE4vyujlqM

NFL Clearly Defeated Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid by Getting a Confidentiality Agreement this is a bitter defeat the Kaepernick camp will have to swallow if they were looking for anything momentous besides a large pile of cash.
I'm not so sure on that. I guess it depends on your perspective. The NFL doesn't concede anything to anyone. By settling the lawsuit, without admitting guilt in any way of course, I believe is a defeat for the NFL in and of itself.

By settling the lawsuit, the NFL concedes it was at least culpable in denying Kapernik meaningful employment. Regardless of one's personal feelings on Kapernik, what the NFL did was contrary to established law. I'm thinking title 7 of the Civil rights act signed into law in 1964.