SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DARPA Game – “ACTUV Tactics”
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-11, 04:10 PM   #1
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
Default Maximum Effort

Interesting scenario.

I'm look at that merchant thinking man, he's moving awfully fast, and he's coming right towards me. So i move to let him pass. He turns into me. I move again. He turns again. AHHH He's chasing me!

Using the gator, this became a real sprint and drift (well still 20kts), type race. Evade the ship, get the sub, rinse and repeat.

It's going to be a real pain (undoable?) in the Seahorse, who's top speed is 1 knot less than the pursuing ship.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 04:17 PM   #2
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

My only try in this mission so far ended rather hilariously. For some odd reason, within the first 2 minutes of the mission, I got reports of "loud explosion" on the sub's bearing. I then found it on my HF, but it wouldn't pick it up as contact. It soon became very apparent to me that the sub was dead and gradually sinking deeper and deeper... blew itself up? What happened? I have no idea...

I then spent some time running from the merchant and getting no points, until finally deciding to give up

As for evading the merchant, I highly suspect that the ACTUV is far more maneuverable than the merchant. So even if you are slower, you should be able to dodge him and force him to overshoot.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 04:24 PM   #3
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
My only try in this mission so far ended rather hilariously. For some odd reason, within the first 2 minutes of the mission, I got reports of "loud explosion" on the sub's bearing. I then found it on my HF, but it wouldn't pick it up as contact. It soon became very apparent to me that the sub was dead and gradually sinking deeper and deeper... blew itself up? What happened? I have no idea...

I then spent some time running from the merchant and getting no points, until finally deciding to give up

As for evading the merchant, I highly suspect that the ACTUV is far more maneuverable than the merchant. So even if you are slower, you should be able to dodge him and force him to overshoot.
Dodging and overshooting is easy.... It's keeping him outside that 500yd exclusion zone was the tricky part.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 04:32 PM   #4
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Fighter pilots have a saying... "rate kills." And that freighter's turn rate sucks. Even worse, it's rotational momentum is horrible.

ACTUVs that are not the Seahorse can do an OK job turning inside him and outrunning him. "Get on his tail and stay there" more or less... a two-circle fight. It's easy but it's time-consuming.

But what's better--and vital for the Seahorse--is to trick him into turning one way and then going the other. It'll take him a few minutes to get out of that turn, and that's time you can use to get as far away as possible and regain contact. It takes a little more planning ahead than a two-circle fight but it pays off very quickly.
Old 04-06-11, 05:41 PM   #5
DngrMse
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

I just went faster, and turned inside his attempts to cut me off from the sub. It might not have been the most elegant, or most fuel saving way of dealing with it, but it worked.
DngrMse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 02:29 PM   #6
Kip336
Torpedoman

Downloads: 19

The sub ran towards a car carrier. I ran after it, dodging the car carrier. The tanker however, with it's horrible turn rate, was just getting out of a turn, and wasn't so lucky.

"Explosion on the bearing of Master 5!"
"Explosion on the bearing of Master 8!"
Kip336 is offline   Reply With Quote