SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-11-19, 09:03 PM   #1
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253
Uploads: 0
Default Small boats (Type II's)

In regard to deployments and flotillas in the game, I have noticed that the type II boats are only in the first flotilla.

Uboat.net history appears to disagree with this.

I have only been playing this game 3 years, and am not one of the old hands. So, this topic may have been asked and answered before. I did do a search here but may have missed it.

Are there work-arounds for solving this?

My setup>
Win10
Silent Hunter III via Steam.
GWX3 Gold
SH3 Commander.

Thanks in advance.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-19, 11:31 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I don't currently have SH3 installed, and there are a lot of things I've forgotten, but here is something I wrote long ago that should still be valid.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=186988
Old 05-12-19, 03:09 AM   #3
vadupleix
Watch

Downloads: 29

You can use SH3 commander to do this and it's fairly simple, just change the start date and/or boat Type in a file called "U-boat availability.cfg", I'm currently using VIIC in 1939.

This seems to be tricker if you want late war technologies like a VIIC/42 with snorkels and all the other fancy toys though.
vadupleix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-19, 05:36 AM   #4
Leoz
Ensign

Thanks guys!

Figured out some additional things with small boats.

Would highly recommend running your game with SH3 Commander.

In the SH3 Commander config where the time is set to x4 if you get near land, push this up really high.

The reason is that when you are assigned to Kiel, going through the canal saves a heck of a lot of time. With the time adjusted above you won't be going through the canal at x4 large parts of the time because you are near land. Just be extra careful with your navigation and not running into things.

The canal was very enjoyable.

Also what I experienced was that by end of the second patrol, I had sunk a few ships with some modest renown. Once I got in port I applied for a transfer to the 2nd Flot and got it with my little type II, so ...problem solved.

Will post a few screen shots in the future. A few lovely shots going under both bridges in the rain.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Old 05-13-19, 09:44 AM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I use GWX and I love the Canal. My habit is to set up my own waypoint one step at a time and do one stretch at moderate TC, then go on deck and look at the sights.

The Wilhelm Nav and Schleuse mod for GWX borrows the scenery from LSH3 (I think), and you get most of the many bridges over the Canal, including the revolving bridge. It also adds working gates to the locks at each end, so you sit and wait for the gate to open. It wastes a lot of time if you're just in it for the sinking, but for me it's one of the little things that makes the game worth playing and keeps SH3 at the top of my list.

If only SH4 had received the same treatment.
Old 05-13-19, 03:20 PM   #6
Leoz
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I use GWX and I love the Canal. My habit is to set up my own waypoint one step at a time and do one stretch at moderate TC, then go on deck and look at the sights.

The Wilhelm Nav and Schleuse mod for GWX borrows the scenery from LSH3 (I think), and you get most of the many bridges over the Canal, including the revolving bridge. It also adds working gates to the locks at each end, so you sit and wait for the gate to open. It wastes a lot of time if you're just in it for the sinking, but for me it's one of the little things that makes the game worth playing and keeps SH3 at the top of my list.

If only SH4 had received the same treatment.
That sounds awesome! I will look into that!

For such good advice, I am going over to YouTube right now and find "Anchors Aweigh" and play it.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Old 05-31-19, 07:45 AM   #7
Blackswan1940
Bosun

Downloads: 0

Leoz you have PM.