SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-23-19, 11:56 PM   #16
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Place your bets now. I bet there will be 31 DLCs released.

Man I used to love Paradox. Then CK2 happened with it's unending DLCs, and then they turned Stellaris into Vicky: 2200 IN SPACE!!! I

I'll have to wait a good minute before I bite on this one.
Old 06-26-19, 05:13 AM   #17
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

After its rather rocky launch, Imperator has now been updated to 1.1 which has some pretty cool changes:

1.2, coming in September, will further change some of the core mechanics that have not been well received such as the different "mana" powers.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-19, 07:44 AM   #18
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy3129 View Post
Place your bets now. I bet there will be 31 DLCs released.

Man I used to love Paradox. Then CK2 happened with it's unending DLCs, and then they turned Stellaris into Vicky: 2200 IN SPACE!!! I

I'll have to wait a good minute before I bite on this one.
This. I was also a Paradox fanboy, they make great games. CK2, Vicky, HOI, Stellaris and especially EU IV are some of my favorite strat games. EU IV in particular is my most-played grand strategy game ever.

But their DLC policy soured me. The way it's done you really can't pick and choose certain DLC while ignoring others. You can, but it leads to issues.

I'll give a concrete example. A few years ago Paradox released a DLC for EU IV called Common Sense. In it, you gained the ability to spend monarch points on province development. A couple years later they introduced another DLC called Rights of Man with a mechanic called Institutions. So lets assume you purchased the later DLC but not the earlier one. Well, it turns out you cannot gain institutions (the core feature of the latter DLC) without the ability to develop the provinces. So this leaves you with the choice of either buying the one you skipped, or having the one you paid for not work.

Beyond that, I feel that their DLC is overpriced for what it is. That's subjective, but I've been at this a long time and feel I know what good value is, and Paradox DLC, while often making the game better (and sometimes not) is rather light for the price in my eyes.

As for Imperator, my take is Paradox released a rather barebones grand strategy game. Mainstream reviews are good, but player reviews are not. Perhaps the latest update improved things? My gut feeling is that Imperator was released this way with the tacit intention to flesh it out through paid DLC. It's their thing now.

I was really looking forward to this game, after all it was billed as the best of CK2 and EU IV, and doesn't that sound wonderful?, but it doesn't seem they hit the mark. It may eventually become the game it should have been, but how much DLC will that cost?

I stopped buying Paradox games, which is shame as I was such a vocal proponent and their games are well-suited for me. But until they rethink their DLC policy I will continue to protest by not giving them more of my money.

We were talking about this on another forum a few weeks ago. I made the remark that I would be OK with it all if Paradox would have some sort of comprehensive version of their DLC-heavy games. They are in business to make money, I understand that. But I think they should have a version at a reasonable price point that includes much of the older DLC. Recent stuff can be sold seperately. But a Game of the Year version like many companies offer over time would be good, and allow new players in at a reasonable price point.

So I looked in to it. EU IV came out in 2013. The comprehensive package they offer is currently $251. $251! And that's 10% off. Gee, thanks.

And after just a cursory look, that does not include the last six DLC, which combined would cost another $90. So a new player wanting to get a full version of EU IV would spend $340. Good grief.

The comprehensive pack is exactly the thing I am asking for, including the earlier DLC while the latest is still sold individually. But that bundle should be $60, and then the latest at $90 makes it all cost $150. Much more reasonable. $340 is too much. But this is the way they operate.

I don't forsee any changes. As long as folks buy it they'll keep selling it. It would take a massive flop of a flagship title for them to think about a change.

Last edited by Threadfin; 06-26-19 at 07:54 AM.
Threadfin is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-19, 11:13 AM   #19
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

^Can't disagree with that.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote