SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-17, 08:42 AM   #16
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

My comment is only directed towards American boats.

In my 'opinion' the tube layout should be all odd tubes on the starboard side (tube one on top, tube three on the bottom) and the even tubes on the port side. This is how it is done on the boat.

I like the current layout with the exception of the numbering. The overall layout is oriented forward on the boat so you can always know which tubes you are using, whether they are numbered serially or port/stbd.

I do not agree with this example:

Quote:
Example: The way we'd like you to renumber the tubes to match IRL (please!):

1 - 2
3 - 4
5 - 6
7 - 8
shipkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 07:33 PM   #17
Killerfish Games
Cold Waters Developer

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDFTigerTank View Post
Also, any chance we can get depth readings below 1000 ft?
Spent a relaxing Sunday arvo yesterday doing just this.
From the work in progress thread on Steam:
Conditions tab can now be scaled to 1000, 2000, 3000 ft max.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/541210...2967807455160/

In the future, will you be adding new ship & sub models to the game?
Yes. Neutral merchants are being worked on right now.
Additional navies, subs will likely come in future DLCs.
Old 09-03-17, 07:48 PM   #18
-Pv-
The Old Man

Very Nice!
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 08:43 PM   #19
Killerfish Games
Cold Waters Developer

Downloads: 0

New beta available:

Quick point release to fix the last few issues with the new GUI as well as adding depth scaling for the Conditions panel and perhaps fixing bug where capsized vessels could still move/attack.

Version 1.07e
In Beta

Combat
Set depth meter set to closest 50 ft increment at mission start
Emergency deep now lowers all undamaged masts
Silent running now sets speed correctly if individual knot setting is being used
Capsized vessels should no longer attack/sail forward (needs verifying)
All toolbars can now be forced on and individually offset to any position on screen
Forcing toolbars on hides tabs for them and disables opening/closing of them
default/hud/default.txt added new variables:
ForceAllToolbarsOn=FALSE HelmToolbarOffset=0,0 DiveToolbarOffset=0,0 SensorToolbarOffset=0,0

http://steamcommunity.com/app/541210...5965302007811/
Old 09-04-17, 02:37 AM   #20
EnjoyableSTIG
Seaman

Downloads: 68

I like what you've done with the latest update!

Is it possible to split up the category of ships from the "Signature" tab? It seems tedious to go through every ship type when you know you have a submarine contact, it can't be a surface contact.

Basically, the "Signature" tab could be split up into four categories: Submarines, Warship, Merchant, All (original setup with all contact types listed). That way it would make classification faster when general ship categories are already known. Especially if you ever officially add a Russian campaign, as then you could switch between NATO/Warsaw pact ships. But that's for later I'm sure.

A screenshot from this update checking out the scalable "Conditions" tab and the automatic lowering of all masts when going "emergency deep."

Last edited by EnjoyableSTIG; 09-04-17 at 02:48 AM.
EnjoyableSTIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 08:36 AM   #21
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

I thought the same thing about the signature tab, although, I just see it as surface and sub-surface. I do wish there were more merchants in the play. Sometimes I don't even bother with identification, I just look to identify its direction so I can slip in for a kill shot. Anyway, I guess it is also dependent on the year of the campaign.

Lovin' it.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 09:12 AM   #22
PacificWolf
Ensign

Downloads: 237
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyableSTIG View Post
Basically, the "Signature" tab could be split up into four categories: Submarines, Warship, Merchant, All.
Awesome idea

"All ships can dive, only submarines can surface"
PacificWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 10:58 AM   #23
Rodent Onboard
Nub

Downloads: 7

Anyone else getting an occasional keyboard shortcut ghosting on a subsequent window? I see Shift T showing through the minimap in the bottom corner at times and an occasional reference to enter colon shortcut on the data screen in the lower right. Does NOT have any effect on play though.
Rodent Onboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 11:01 AM   #24
-Pv-
The Old Man

"Basically, the "Signature" tab could be split up into four categories: Submarines, Warship, Merchant, All."

+1

I was going to post about the difficulty in scrolling through long lists of vessels today which nearly negates the advantage of beating your crew to the punch. While doing all that scrolling and comparing sometimes small differences in the display with noise to the reference, I have to mostly ignore the evolving tactical picture and issue timely commands. Perhaps the crew is too handicapped when it comes to submerged threats. They seem to handle surface ships faster (probably because the turns are louder?)

Unfortunately, the many forces added to the sim by modders makes the problem worse even though trace characteristics are duplicated.

Is there code in the sim to determine identification speed based on clarity of the trace (signal to noise?) If not, please consider it. If so, possibly revisit this code? Certainly if it takes me a minute or two to scroll through a list of references and make a selection, a crew member should also be able to do this in comparable time? Documentation seems to indicate your crew are experts and considering the time period of the sim when US naval alertness and training was at its highest performance in recent history, the identification time on what looks like clear traces on the display seems lacking. I suspect it's degraded on purpose to enable advantage of the user interaction which is partially degraded (actually frustrated) by the slow UI.

Brings back memories of the original Hunt for Red October where I had to hammer on a control for a minute or two before the code interrupts would finally let the command through after it was too late to save myself.

-Pv-
Old 09-04-17, 11:34 AM   #25
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

I think I found another bug.

Let me see if I can articulate this.

You have a torpedo running and it is active. It has not detected anything... No targets in its vicinity.
Now it detects and acquires a submerged target you did not have on your mainframe sonar and runs to detonation. The target sinks to the bottom (does not implode in deep water) but the AI modeler still keeps the target radiating a noise source like it was never hit by a weapon. You can do TMA on the noise source.. It says its doing zero (0) knots...

If you try to esc. out of the scenario, the program will say 'vessels in area'.
If you shoot another torpedo at the target, it will acquire and run to detonation. NOW you can leave the scenario..
shipkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 12:37 PM   #26
-Pv-
The Old Man

My impression is bugs related to sunk vessels not really recognized as sunk have been an on-going problem. The latest patch beta addresses another one similar to this. In your case, there is the possibility the first torp was not a totally lethal hit (similar to what might happen to yourself if a hit caused enough flooding to bring you to the bottom) and your crew was still alive and repairing, trying to save the boat although it likely would never go offensive again. I don't know if the simulation supports near misses where the boat floods but doesn't get lethal damage.

This might be why your crew detected the sub as still "active" but not moving whereby another torp was required to seal the fate of the boat. What I didn't see in your report is if you had a sunk icon on the map for that contact which might be the deciding factor. Keep hitting it until you get the sunk icon.

As stated in a famous movie ... Ships made to sink are hard to sink.
-Pv-
Old 09-04-17, 06:54 PM   #27
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish Games View Post
New beta available:

Quick point release to fix the last few issues with the new GUI as well as adding depth scaling for the Conditions panel and perhaps fixing bug where capsized vessels could still move/attack.

Version 1.07e
In Beta

Combat
Set depth meter set to closest 50 ft increment at mission start
Emergency deep now lowers all undamaged masts
Silent running now sets speed correctly if individual knot setting is being used
Capsized vessels should no longer attack/sail forward (needs verifying)
All toolbars can now be forced on and individually offset to any position on screen
Forcing toolbars on hides tabs for them and disables opening/closing of them
default/hud/default.txt added new variables:
ForceAllToolbarsOn=FALSE HelmToolbarOffset=0,0 DiveToolbarOffset=0,0 SensorToolbarOffset=0,0

http://steamcommunity.com/app/541210...5965302007811/
Getting better all the time!

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 06:57 PM   #28
EnjoyableSTIG
Seaman

Downloads: 68

Actually, I saw something similar to this:

I was using the New Playable Subs mod and I used the "sea lance" to hit two diesel electric soviet subs. A Tango and a Foxtrot I believe. I hit them both with two "sea lances" but this still didn't outright destroy them. However, they could not escape the flooding and both sunk until implosion.

Before I realized they were sinking to implosion, I fired a MK48 at one of them. Before the torpedo armed the two targets imploded. After this point, the MK48 went active and was able to track their last known position. The MK48 was tracking and seeking (active sonar) the point in the water where the Tango imploded, but obviously nothing could be there anymore.

I did not sustain any damage in this engagement. I was using a modded sub (and I'm sure the weapons used and the enemy subs were at least slightly modded as well.)

I hope that explanation makes sense.
EnjoyableSTIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 08:43 PM   #29
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Yes on the undead dead. My torps just seem to want to go after sunk ships like crazy. Dealing with an invasion force takes much more planning so that a second salvo doesn't re-attack the sunken from the first salvo.

Also, is there a key stroke to shut down a torp that is still wire-guided? Just a thought towards neutrals being incorporated. Especially if it is transporting beer.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 10:46 PM   #30
-Pv-
The Old Man

"Also, is there a key stroke to shut down a torp that is still wire-guided?"

I have successfully used cut wire.
-Pv-