SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-19, 01:05 PM   #1
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0
Default Switching from Disc game to Digital Download

Hello All;

I'm redoing my old back room office (collect all room) and making it my sons bedroom for when the times when he comes home from college.
Anyway as I was digging out all of my old desktop computers that I used to play on I found a box full of my older games that I used to play.
Man there were some memories in there:
Falcon 4.0/ Janes F15/Jane's WW2 Fighters/European Air War
Jane's Fleet comand/Sub Command/Dangerous Waters/Silent Hunter III/Silent Hunter IV
So I got a bug up my (you know) and started setting up the old system in the dining room...as my wife looked at me with a panic'ed look in her eyes saying....
"OH NO!! NOT AGAIN!!" ....I just smiled saying no just checking to see if it still works. That was two months ago...hahaha.
Anyway I have got the sub bug again bad.
Never got that good at manual targeting or keeping from getting killed in SH4 but am determined to get it down.
Anyway I do a lot of out of town work and don't want to take a chance on breaking any of my classic CDs by hauling them back and forth. So for the games I can play on my laptop which seems to be most of them, I decided to fork out the cash and buy the digital download version(s).
SH4 gold edition from Amazon is supposed to be the latest and greatest version with U-boat missions and latest patch.
I already had my CD version without U-boat missions installed on my laptop when I made the decision to get digital downloads. So I uninstalled my CD version from my laptop.
Here's the question:
Is there anything else I need to do to my laptop to get any stray SH4 files removed from my previously installed CD version before doing the digital download and install?

"You know what the chain of command is?
It's the chain I get and beat you with till you understand who's in command."
-ME
hunter301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 02:23 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter301 View Post
Hello All;

I'm redoing my old back room office (collect all room) and making it my sons bedroom for when the times when he comes home from college.
Anyway as I was digging out all of my old desktop computers that I used to play on I found a box full of my older games that I used to play.
Man there were some memories in there:
Falcon 4.0/ Janes F15/Jane's WW2 Fighters/European Air War
Jane's Fleet comand/Sub Command/Dangerous Waters/Silent Hunter III/Silent Hunter IV
So I got a bug up my (you know) and started setting up the old system in the dining room...as my wife looked at me with a panic'ed look in her eyes saying....
"OH NO!! NOT AGAIN!!" ....I just smiled saying no just checking to see if it still works. That was two months ago...hahaha.
Anyway I have got the sub bug again bad.
Never got that good at manual targeting or keeping from getting killed in SH4 but am determined to get it down.
Anyway I do a lot of out of town work and don't want to take a chance on breaking any of my classic CDs by hauling them back and forth. So for the games I can play on my laptop which seems to be most of them, I decided to fork out the cash and buy the digital download version(s).
SH4 gold edition from Amazon is supposed to be the latest and greatest version with U-boat missions and latest patch.
I already had my CD version without U-boat missions installed on my laptop when I made the decision to get digital downloads. So I uninstalled my CD version from my laptop.
Here's the question:
Is there anything else I need to do to my laptop to get any stray SH4 files removed from my previously installed CD version before doing the digital download and install?
welcome back,hunter.
in no particular order:
be sure to delete the folder where you stored your CDROM version of the game before reinstalling the digital version.
be sure to delete the SH4 mission SAVEFOLDER hiding in your My Documents folder.
when you re-install be sure to use a unique folder and not the default folder. for example: C;\Ubisoft\SilentHunter4\
do not use the default in Programs(x86).my apologies if know this already.
reboot after you de-install and before you re-install.

you didnt say what your operating system is. win10 folks should probably read theberbsters tutorial.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=219029

good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 04:03 PM   #3
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Thanks.
I did a search on my C: drive and found 3 folders listed but when I went to look for the only one is there:
C:\users\owner\mydocuments (found it/deleted it)

C:\users\owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\R ecentItems (Not listed in owner folder)

C:\users\owner\Recent (Not Listed in owner folder)

BTW....I stil run Windows 7 so haven't had a load or playing issue.

-ME
Old 03-07-19, 08:21 PM   #4
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Got everything loaded with no problem.
Game is playing version 1.5 with U-boat missions included.
ONE MAJOR PROBLEM!!
It's playing in a square frame resolution.
The game does not fill the whole screen of either my laptop computer or the plug in flat-screen monitor I have hooked up to the laptop. I checked resolution and it is set at full as high as it can go. Brand new Viewsonic 28" pc flatscreen monitor.
Game is playing great with no lags otherwise.
Had this problem when I first loaded up the game using my CD version.

-ME
Old 03-07-19, 10:39 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The game is an old beast, and does not "auto-detect" anything on your computer. It can be rather finicky about your video settings. The game defaults to a 1024x768 mode, from Windows XP days.

It is usually best to set your Windows machine to match the "native" resolution of your LCD monitor, which Windows will refer to as "Recommended". ie: I am on my desktop, which has 2x 5:4 ratio NEC LCD 1850E displays, which have 1280x1024 resolution (yes, I are old). My laptop has a 17" screen that does 1600x900 (16:9 ratio) widescreen. In both cases, my video card is set to match those settings for the displays. Then, in the game under the Options menu, I have set the game to the same resolution, which fills the screen in both case, with a 5:4 ratio display on the desktop and a 16:9 ratio on the laptop. Works great.

You having two monitors, with the one being a laptop display, and the other an external monitor, might have to decide which way you're going to play, and leave things set at that. Else, just deal with having to change things each time you change displays, in that each time of starting the game, you're going to have to change the game's screen resolution to match the monitor. So you would start the game, change the resolution, and then re-start the game again for that to take effect. Or maybe do a batch file to start the game, and have that change the text file that holds that info prior to the start...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 01:45 AM   #6
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Well took most of the night screwing with different settings but I finally got.
Running some fun single missions.
Just did one where I had 6 destroyers running around in circles all trying to take me out.
Periscope depth. Fire torpedo...crash dive...300 feet silent running...reload torpedos......come to periscope depth and do it all over again.
Was able to sink 2 destroyers but the little bastards are fast and when they are working together like that they remind of ex-wives ganging up on you..LOL
Thanks for all your help guys.
Good to be back in the soup again.
Really missed the hours of play I used to get out of this.

-ME
Old 03-09-19, 09:51 PM   #7
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

One mod that's almost essential;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1196

Among other fixes it gives the surface ships some mass physics to reduce the zero to 37 in 1/4 second dragster acceleration. With that mod (or patch, more accurate description) the destroyers still wind up to full tilt boogie pretty quick, but nothing like the "wind it up and pop the clutch" that the stock game has. Easier and more realistic.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote