SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-09, 11:03 PM   #286
Anton88
Helmsman

Downloads: 121
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody

Will there be anything else sir?

Peabody
What are you currently working on? Maybe i can help out..
(I'm just trying to get this mod out faster )) )

for the voices/sound effects i will need about a week, starting next thursday

Anton88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 04:07 AM   #287
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton88
Quote:

Will there be anything else sir?

Peabody
What are you currently working on? Maybe i can help out..
(I'm just trying to get this mod out faster )) )

for the voices/sound effects i will need about a week, starting next thursday

Hold your horses there! in the sound\speech folder there are 8 different folders : one per voice.

in each : there are 222 different sentences ! I already made a small mod from the movie Gochin (filmed during I-10's fifth war patrol, real sounds real sinkings etc..) but since it has only been downloaded 30 times it is clearly not a priority as we have other matters to fix.

Modding is a slow and painstainking process, I would know after the ships I did, Peabody does with the japanese campaign, Takao, Captainscurvy, Sledgehammer427 and certainly Skwasjer do, it takes time and patience to get it right. We don't have any Ubi SDK to make those files, though S3D is now pretty close . We have to reverse-engineer everything they made, and that's a pain. Sounds can only be mono and this length max etc... f.i. the develloppers' sounds are always smaller in size than mine were, even for the same time length !

this is exactly which we don't rush the campaign. we have to get the subs to work perfectly, they also need japanese weapons all the way, not only torpedoes and submarines.

If you look at the 3D Torpedo room thread on the AOTD (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=141858) with its 34318 views you'll understand how long it could take to model japanese submarine interiors, if we had those kind of pictures and blueprints, which, but for the midget sub and the Koryu, we don't have at the moment. (look at post 281 and you'll see what kind of pictures to exist, USN mission to Japan 1946)

The campaign layout is made from RL shipping movements of either the IJN or its merchant fleet. I for one would love it to get as real as possible, and still playable by most out there. I had to buy a new computer to play this game.

As for the face, I have made a few, using the japanese sailor faces that are ingame, I just bumped that thread for you. Since I don't know how they mod the face and split the head afterwards to create those dds I have to work on a skewed image which is a lot harder than using photos for faces f.i.

As for the signature thing, look up posts 51 and especially post #76 on this very thread, you'll see where we are headed. In post #104 Sledgehammer427 already suggested that Dönitz didn't sign that, didn't he now ?

We are not going to use copyrighted material in this mod. Faces or otherwise, unless we have the consent from their designer like I did from John Meeks and Michel Guyot (www.subart.net) who nicely donated the digitized copy of their work for the campaign's loading screens and intro screen. This is how it works, you ask, if they decline, you don't use the material.

Then there are new things too like on post #133 ... or 139 if you like the rewards but they have to be right. Or #157 if you wanna breathe underwater f.i. then there was the real kaiten model (post # 181), the last add-on we just implemeted is the type 93 naval mine thanks to Darkfish who made the files, and just that took a while.

We are trying to get all aspects right, as much as it is feasible anyways.

This said I look forward to hearing a few japanese sounds you'll make as long as you follow our guidelines.

Keltos

Last edited by keltos01; 02-01-09 at 04:27 AM.
keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 02:58 PM   #288
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Well gentlemen, i may be getting closer, i have been directed to some remarkable sources....and found some pics already including the engine room of the IJN I 400, and the interior of the deck hanger, more pics of the topside, and a detailed and remarkable account of the last transpac voyage of the IJN I 400 under US command with a Japanese prize crew...remarkable...and i am also asking for help from the Nimitz Librrary which serves Annapolis, we will see how it goes...

here is part of the last cruise of the IJN I 400 info, which has remarkable details about IJN submarine service operations and details of the boat....

Engine Room I 400

Hangar interior of I 401

one of the IJN Cargo Submarines which had no TT tubes but carried Kaiten's on deck as armament

I 401 at sea underway from the bridge

View Aft from Bow of I 401 along launching rail of plane catapault

3 I 400 class boats alongside (possibly in Germany)

I 401 with plane on foredeck, from a published journal of one of the I 400 IJN Japanese skippers in russian link below
http://www.pacerfarm.org/i-400/i-400.htm
THE TRANSPACIFIC VOYAGE OF H.I.J.M.S. I-400

[ed. notes: The document on which this page was based was to have formed the nucleus of Tom Paine's memoirs. It began as a simple reply to a request for information from Commander Compton-Hall, who was then researching Submarine Warfare: Monsters & Midgets.6 It served as the basis of a short piece that appeared in the U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings in 1986. An expanded version was published privately by the Submarine Warfare Library in February 1991. He continued to work on it from time to time over several months, leading up to this version.
Thomas O. Paine died from cancer on 4 May 1992. He had continued his work on submarine bibliography up to the very end. His personal papers are in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress in Washington DC; his massive Submarine Library is now a special collection of the Nimitz Library in the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis MD. His biography is online at the NASA History site. Had he lived to see the flowering of the 'net, surely he would have made excellent use of it for sharing his wealth of information about submarines, space travel, and the many other subjects in which he took a lively interest. This page is but a piece, a very small piece, of what he would have done.

This saga recounts my adventures during the last voyage of His Imperial Japanese Majesty's Sensuikan Toku (Special Submarines). In 1945 I returned from World War II as Executive Officer and Navigator of the U.S. Navy prize crew in one of these aircraft-carrying giants: H.I.J.M.S. I-400. Sailing her from Sasebo, Occupied Japan, to Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii, seemed a fitting finale to my career in the Submarine Service.
I'll begin by describing Japan's Top Secret submersible aircraft carriers, summarize their operational history, recount my experience in the Occupation of Japan, explain how our prize crew learned to operate the unusual I-boats, and tell the tale of I-400's eventful transpacific passage. An abridged version of this yarn has been published in U.S.N.I. Proceedings.1

The March 2005 discovery of the wreck of the I-401 prompted updates to the Wikipedia I-400 class submarine page.
The Russian Miletara Project site has what appears to be an online digest of Commander Hashimoto's memoirs including this photo of the I-401 with Seiran on catapault (see also this colourised view) and of I-400 class boats docking and moored to a sub tender with their hangar doors open.
http://militera.lib.ru/memo/other/hashimoto/

This memoir of I-14 Prize crew member Vic Webb
memoir of I-14 Prize crew member Vic Webb

and this memoir of I-401 Prize crew member Paul Wittmer.

memoir of I-401 Prize crew member Paul Wittmer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The I-400 is cited and illustrated in the World Aircraft Carrier page on Andrew Toppan's hazegray.org site.
Craig Burke's Imperial Japanese Navy site contains both a factual I-400 history page
and an interesting fictional I-400 alternative history page on his "Admiral Fura****a" site.
The one surviving Aichi M6A1 Seiran aircraft was restored by the U.S. National Air & Space Museum; see www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero/aircraft/aichi_serian.htm .
Prints can be ordered of this John Meeks painting of the I-401 crew preparing to jettison a Seiran aircraft at sea before surrendering.
For a detailed model of the I-400 see home.catv.ne.jp/dd/nekonii/topics/p-tpic12.htm.
To see Jim Gordon's I-400 model adapted from an Aoshima kit see www.steelnavy.com/I400.htm
Chris Alfred's Seiran model set in a I-400 hull segment diorama can be seen on the j-aircraft Ships Gallery page.

and here is the best so far: a pic of actual Japanese sub crew in the hangar of IJN 401

Living Conditions on IJN subs ..continued:

Dorr Carpenter and Norman Polmar's book Submarines of the Imperial Japanese Navy (Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press, 1986).

"Submarine crews, as well as the rest of the seagoing navy, tended to have preferential treatment with respect to food and cigarettes. At sea the submariners had a diet of boiled white rice, pickled vegetables, dried seaweed, eggs, beef, pork, various fish, and usually for breakfast, miso-shiro, a vegetable soup. Refrigeration was severely limited, and fresh meat, fish, and vegetables would be exhausted in about a week, after which canned food was the staple. There was little coffee but plenty of tea. Officers and men generally ate the same food, their daily submarine ration amounting to some 3,300 calories, quite high for wartime Japan. Sake and beer were available to submarine crews ashore, while at sea a commanding officer could issue alcohol under special conditions. But drunkenness ashore or afloat was not tolerated.

Life in the cramped, un-air-conditioned submarines was difficult. On long deployments bags of rice and canned food filled every available space, and just moving through the submarine was a difficult task. The newer boats had cooling systems; the older craft were always very humid. Rats were common on board."

There was only a very limited Fresh water ration on the IJN submarines, so washing was only done when they could swim in the sea - they also had only a very primitive Heads which would not function when submerged, hence the somewhat challenging conditions in the I-Boats.
------------------------
Discussion on Tully's Port
http://propnturret.com/tully/viewtop...c21e5d02baac11
about living conditions on IJN subs..this following was the personal opinion of one poster and his comments are not supported by other evidence..(the IJN ran very clean ships, and there was in fact ample water supply on the I 400's as noted later on in the source he is quoting....but such prejudices abound in discussion of IJN to this day sadly)
Referring to the IJN 400 from the journal of Tom Paine desribed above.

"After she was taken over from the Japanese on her way home from patrol you can imagine that the I-400 required a massive clean-up from stem to stern. The field day started with all hands moving aboard the U.S.S. Proteus, after which cylinders of fumigating gas were opened in every compartment and the boat sealed. Next morning bushel after bushel of dead rats and cockroaches were swept up. I'd noted with some revulsion on the Ha-boats the occasional rat leaping through a hatch from compartment to compartment, and hordes of scurrying roaches when a light was switched on, but I'd no idea that these boats carried so many verminous shipmates on patrol. If the I-400 had been rigged for dive when the rats and roaches were thrown overboard the Diving Officer would have had to order: Flood two hundred pounds to Auxiliary Tank from sea. "

I believe this is the reason why U-Boat personnel were not allowed on board I-8 or I-30 when they docked in France, as the Japanese Officers and Embassy personnel thought they would lose face by showing anyone inside the Submarine.

Your point about the better conditions on USN Ships over Royal Navy ones is absolutely true, by and large, not helped by the fact that some ships were transferred direct from Arctic Convoy duty to the Indian Ocean after European Hostilities ceased - they had plenty of Heating but no Air Conditioning, making things a little challenging for the Crews!

At least the Royal Navy Submarines that started to arrive in the Indian Ocean from late 1943 onwards were transferred from the Mediterranean, so were used to the kind of conditions they encountered (although the high humidity played havoc with any electronics they had).
A great point, made elsewhere, was that the key reason for installing Air Conditioning was to improve the reliability of the various items of Electronic Equipment used in the ships, and not Crew Comfort (although the siting of this equipment by some left a lot to be desired - for example, Type IX U-Boats had a key item of Electronic Equipment sited directly below the Main Hatchway, so was drenched in sea water every time they opened the hatch!).

----------------------------------
rebuttal from same forum:

If you read the NTJ Reports they point out that living quarters were cramped by western standards, but the ships that were still manned were clean throughout. In one of them a team went to RYUHO and commented on how neat their spare parts lockers were and that the decks were waxed, etc.

Last edited by Admiral Von Gerlach; 02-02-09 at 03:23 PM.
Admiral Von Gerlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 04:36 PM   #289
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Thanks Admiral, appreciate the effort you are putting into this. My mind is going to explode with all the info here and in PMs. Now if I can just find time to use it all.

Work is progressing.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 12:43 AM   #290
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Ok. will cut engines to half ahead i get happy when there is a chance to share from the past what others have shared with me. I have hopes for pics of subs that may have been hidden away....we will see...

Last edited by Admiral Von Gerlach; 02-03-09 at 01:47 AM.
Admiral Von Gerlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 01:28 AM   #291
rubenandthejets
中国水兵

Downloads: 20

Every time I pop in here for a look I'm amazed at how much is going on! Sorry I can't help out with technical skills. I'll keep an eye out for photos etc.

Keltos san, what's you're snail mail address? PM me and the books will be on their way!
Old 02-03-09, 03:57 PM   #292
Anton88
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01
We are trying to get all aspects right, as much as it is feasible anyways.

This said I look forward to hearing a few japanese sounds you'll make as long as you follow our guidelines.

Keltos
I agree with most of what you say Keltos. I'm not in a hurry, and I don't want you to release this mod prematurely.
If you rememember Silent Hunter II (made by different company/designers..).. that was a game released prematurely.

We'll get this one right from the start.
as for sounds, I got most japanese marches and army songs, as well as speeches from that era.. My radio and my gramophone folders will be full..
Old 02-03-09, 05:38 PM   #293
Anton88
Helmsman

Who put this movie up on Youtube.. with this IJN sub..
??

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=QGnzQd...eature=related

PS: .. I hope you find this one usefull =>
I-53 Type C3/C4 Submarine

Last edited by Anton88; 02-03-09 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-03-09, 06:18 PM   #294
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
??

I have the Sen Toku playable but it is the Fleet boat side, I am going to convert it to Uboat side. Keltos tells me it's too big, but I like it. You will see it in the campaign at least at a dock, whether we make it a playable or not we don't know, it actually never was used, the war ended when it was on it's first mission.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 02-03-09, 06:40 PM   #295
Anton88
Helmsman

Quote:
Quote:
??

I have the Sen Toku playable but it is the Fleet boat side, I am going to convert it to Uboat side. Keltos tells me it's too big, but I like it. You will see it in the campaign at least at a dock, whether we make it a playable or not we don't know, it actually never was used, the war ended when it was on it's first mission.

Peabody
I'm not sure about the "Launch aircraft option", if we will have that or not, i'd love to see that in the game..
but If I can make a small suggestion... regarding the Kaiten human torpedo.. we should have an option to launch them,..(not fire them from the torpedo tubes).
Each sub carried about 4 - 6 kaitens, towards the end.. as well as their regular torpedo loads. If they are in the tubes its.. 'unrealistic'
Old 02-03-09, 07:09 PM   #296
cgjimeneza
Captain

Downloads: 145
Default jap radio station....

Quote:
as for sounds, I got most japanese marches and army songs, as well as speeches from that era.. My radio and my gramophone folders will be full..
how about a Jap radio station to go with your mod..... you guys are working on that?

I helped with the transatlantic radio station so if you need help on that side of the shop/project...

"Left on their own, engineers can be dangerous"
cgjimeneza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-09, 07:33 PM   #297
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
??

Peabody
I'm not sure about the "Launch aircraft option", if we will have that or not, i'd love to see that in the game..
but If I can make a small suggestion... regarding the Kaiten human torpedo.. we should have an option to launch them,..(not fire them from the torpedo tubes).
Each sub carried about 4 - 6 kaitens, towards the end.. as well as their regular torpedo loads. If they are in the tubes its.. 'unrealistic'
Unfortunately the game has some limitations. Some can be overcome, some can not. You can not put a flyable plane on the gound, water, or ship, it will explode. There are two sets of planes. Flying ones and decoration, the plane on the Sen Toku, and any aircraft carriers are decoration. You can not spawn a plane (or anything else) within 20 miles of your sub. So even if you wanted to make a flyable plane appear and then take off, it won't happen. (that close to the sea, it would most likely crash anyway.) I assume they set it up like that so ships,subs and planes don't suddenly appear in front of you.

Technically you could "launch' Kaitens from an invisible tube on deck but we only have so many buttons and then you have to change tubes with the keyboard so you don't know which one is selected. And unless you are going to play the game with scuba gear and sit on deck, you won't know where it came from anyway. And it isn't even 'driven' like a Kaiten would be, we have to use an Acoustic to simulate the driving. You could also simulate by putting 4 Kaitens on the deck, go out and fire 4 Kaiten and return to base with 4 Kaitens on the deck, because that is how the game works. The torpedo does not actually appear until you fire it.

Peabody

Old 02-04-09, 05:50 AM   #298
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Quote:
??

Peabody
I still think it's too big, and I never touched it since you made it playable, your thing so to speak, although it was the first sub I too tried to make playable way back when

Well at least now we have the right guns for it and 8 torpedo tubes and lights, so it's ok, I wouldn't wanna have had it with the regular six tubes, missing 2 so to speak. now with 8 it's alright.

you still won't be able to submerged in coastal waters even with the Type AM (i-14) it's hard !!!

keltos

Old 02-04-09, 08:43 AM   #299
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default guns textured

on this image you can see the single IJN 25 mm AA guns implemented by Peabody and me.

(edit) new occlusion map for AAs

Last edited by keltos01; 02-04-09 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-04-09, 04:26 PM   #300
keltos01
Silent Hunter

got hit a little, but sank 3 DDs with this beauty

keltos