SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities > 2009 SUBSIM Meet
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-09, 01:40 PM   #31
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carotio
Yes, Neal, I'm sure as Skybird also wrote. I used to make a trip to Lübeck once, and I'm pretty sure the train embarked the ferry.

I also think it can be a stress day, but then again how many times does one have the option to go to Laboe as someone living far away. I live relatively close, so I'm not sure I will participate in that one-day trip, but if you really wanna go, then do it.

As Skybird suggested, I have visited the homepage for Avis, a rental office. One of many, I have to say. But just as an example.

3 screencaps below.

You'll see on the map that you have about 163 km between Copenhagen Airport (Kastrup Lufthavn) and Rødbyhavn:

And the prizes for vans:

For the 9 person van, more in detail:

That is 2,122 DKK for the rent and the first 100 km. Extra km is 3.60 DKK. And the route in Denmark is ((163+163)-100) = 226 km * 4.50 DKK = 1017 DKK + 2,122 DKK = 3139 DKK. Then you also have the extra km in Germany. But sofar it's 348,78 DKK per person in the van.
Very helpful!

So, that's about $60 per person to rent a 9 person van. Does that include the return mileage? Mileage to Laboe from the ferry? And ferry charge?

This is useful if we end up needing to take a van.
Old 03-02-09, 02:00 PM   #32
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Then we rise early Weds 16th, take the train OR rent a van to Laboe, across the excellent ferry.
There is no direct train from Copenhagen to Laboe, with train you must go first to Kiel central station and then take two busses (#102+#120) to Laboe Ehrenmal (U-995).

The trains from Copenhagen to Kiel goes the northern route through Denmark via Flensburg. The trains from Copenhagen which uses the ferry (the train moves into the ferry) goes to Lübeck and further to Hamburg.
Old 03-02-09, 02:07 PM   #33
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Seeadler! I sure hope you are coming, I would like to meet you.
Old 03-02-09, 02:13 PM   #34
Thomen
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 14

Just a note to the bus:
As far as I remember it, and maybe one of our other resident Germans can comment on it:
Is the price above with driver?
Because, if you want to drive a vehicle in Germany, that has a capacity of more then 7 Passengers (incl driver) you need a Personenbefoerderungsschein (what a word lol), basically a license to transport people from one place to another.
Thomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 02:14 PM   #35
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Quote:
Seeadler! I sure hope you are coming, I would like to meet you.
Yes, I plan to participate for the meeting, here from Hamburg I can fly four times a day to Copenhagen
Old 03-02-09, 02:34 PM   #36
Carotio
Mr. Bad Wolf

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Quote:
You'll see on the map that you have about 163 km between Copenhagen Airport (Kastrup Lufthavn) and Rødbyhavn:
And the prizes for vans:
For the 9 person van, more in detail:
That is 2,122 DKK for the rent and the first 100 km. Extra km is 3.60 DKK. And the route in Denmark is ((163+163)-100) = 226 km * 4.50 DKK = 1017 DKK + 2,122 DKK = 3139 DKK. Then you also have the extra km in Germany. But sofar it's 348,78 DKK per person in the van.
Very helpful!

So, that's about $60 per person to rent a 9 person van. Does that include the return mileage? Mileage to Laboe from the ferry? And ferry charge?

This is useful if we end up needing to take a van.
Yes, 348,78 DKK is 58,96 $ or 46,81 €. In practical, the prizes in Denmark are sliced up in either 0,00 or 0,50 or 1,00 (the only small coin we have left is 0,50 DKK), so the prize would be 349,00 DKK. Just so you all know it.

I didn't write the mileage in Germany for one reasons: we don't know yet, where the final route is, if it's just Puttgarten-Laboe, or is it also into Kiel city or maybe a sidetrip to Lübeck.

But to give you all an idea, Puttgarden-Laboe. Here's a route map and below a description of route and info of time needed to drive that route and length.

The route in Denmark is highway from Copenhagen down to the ferry, however the highway from the bridge between Sjælland (Sealand) and Falster and to Rødbyhavn is a two lane highway road, and not very convenient to drive in bad weather - yes, I have tried. But otherwise, it's okay. You can drive with either 110 km/h or 130 km/h on that route, that is that's the allowed speed.

Now the route in Germany, will for the most part be on smaller roads, some with 80 km/h speed limit, I suppose. Which also is the reason for the estimated time schedule on the screencap, I guess. The info is: 90,09 km and that is only one way. 1 hour 12 minutes is the estimated time.

So the route length totally would be (2*163km)+(2*90,09km) = 506,18 km.
The first 100 km is included in my first proposal, so one would need to pay (4,50 DKK * 406,18 km) = 1,828 DKK for the extra km's plus the original 2,122 DKK for the rent, which is 3,950 DKK in total for a 9 person van, which is 439 DKK per person or 74.21 $ or 58.92 €

So that prize proposal is for 9 persons. And that will of course change, if it's more or fewer people. The sooner the better, if people know whether they will do the trip Copenhagen-Laboe both ways, or not. Or maybe, some will go and meet up in Laboe on their own, like German members. They may do a rent trip on their own the reverse way and keep the rented car in Denmark during the 4 day meet. That's also an option.

EDIT:
I forgot, the trip prize will most likely be without the cost of benzin/diesel for the van, so one will need to pay for that too...

Route map and route guide:

Download my mods from SHMF
Follow my photography here
taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle fraais, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo castellano

Last edited by Carotio; 03-02-09 at 03:59 PM.
Carotio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 03:58 AM   #37
gandalf71
Loader

Downloads: 1

Quote:

Now the route in Germany, will for the most part be on smaller roads, some with 80 km/h speed limit, I suppose. Which also is the reason for the estimated time schedule on the screencap, I guess. The info is: 90,09 km and that is only one way. 1 hour 12 minutes is the estimated time.

We drove this route starting from Plön last year in our summer holiday and I also know the final piece from Lütjenburg to Laboe, and I can tell that 1 h 12mins is an quite optimistic estimate for this route. You should calculate with 1h 30mins which would be more realistic. On many parts of the route speed is limited to 70 km/h (ca 45 mph) and there are even some villages you have to pass, there is a limit of 50 km/h (ca 30mph), and some traffic lights where you may have to stop. You should also consider that there are very likely some agricultural vehicles on the road in mid of September, which may be difficult to overtake, espacially on the last part of the trip (Lütjenburg-Laboe).

Cheers,
Michael
gandalf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 09:10 AM   #38
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Hitman, et all, how does this sound?

Americans leave Monday 14th and fly into Copenhagen on early morning in Tuesday 15th. One day to rest up, see a little of the town, and get plenty of rest that night and solve the jet lag. Then we rise early Weds 16th, take the train OR rent a van to Laboe, across the excellent ferry. See U-995, meet up with German and other western Euro members who are driving in. Then we take the train/van back OR ride back with people who have cars. If there are two or three Euro drivers, we probably will not need the train on the return trip.
That would be perfect for me, I would arrive at Copenhagen the 15th for lunch and be rested and ready for the 16th

For the trip I still believe the rented bus would be the best because it would bring us directly from the hotel to U-995 and back, and that is the most comfortable option. Alternatively, if we rent a car or several cars (I'd say one for each 4 persons should be OK) I can drive/share driving.
Old 03-03-09, 04:01 PM   #39
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Ok. I think I will change the wording of the meet to say Sept 16-20. We can work out the details on train/van later, but we will set a date and time to meet in Laboe. Date will be Weds Sept 16, time ~1pm. That way everyone know when to meet at Laboe.
Old 03-04-09, 08:07 AM   #40
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

To my surprise, all the area around Kiel and Laboe is covered with Bird'S View photography by Live Search. The pics
can be moved, zoomed, and turned 90°-wise.

If you chose to get there by car and you have no drivers knowing the area, you may want to use this wonderful
function to check your approach route into Laboe for faster orientation. - Useful for orientation in Copenhagen as well, I assume.
Old 03-04-09, 11:33 AM   #41
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nice!
Old 03-04-09, 01:27 PM   #42
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
For the trip I still believe the rented bus would be the best because it would bring us directly from the hotel to U-995 and back, and that is the most comfortable option. Alternatively, if we rent a car or several cars (I'd say one for each 4 persons should be OK) I can drive/share driving.
I'd be down for this option. I'd be kind of intimidated being alone in Denmark and not speaking a lick of Danish, trying to get to Laboe :rotfl:

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 07:53 AM   #43
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

I wouldn't worry too much about that, I believe most danes speak english and many do also speak german (Danish is also a germanic language, and learning one when you know another is much easier). I can speak german also, and I'm sure I won't be the only one, so we would make groups with at least someone who can speak the local language
Old 03-05-09, 08:22 AM   #44
gandalf71
Loader

Downloads: 1
Default U-995 Sneak Peek

Hi All!

To get an better impression what is expecting you onboard of U-995 you can take a look at those 360° panorama pictures.

You need to have Adobe Flasplayer installed.

Control Room (forward section)
http://www.deutscher-marinebund.de/0...ntrale_max.swf

Aft Torpedo/Electric engine compartment
http://www.deutscher-marinebund.de/0...schine_max.swf

and the great view across the Kiel fjord from the top of the Navy Cenotaph
http://www.deutscher-marinebund.de/0...renmal_max.swf

For the language I wouldn´t worry too much also, as long as you have 2 hands and 2 feet there will be certainly a way to get your ideas across

Hope you enjoy those pics...

Cheers,
Michael
gandalf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 02:01 PM   #45
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
That I will not attend the meeting in Copenhagen does not mean that I could not assist from the distance, where possible.
Look into my eyes

You will attend.

You will attend.

You will attend.

You are getting very sleepy.

Soon you will...

I'm awake! I'm awake!

Darn! I hope that worked.