SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-18-17, 11:55 AM   #31
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereddaikon View Post
Sadly this patch is unplayable for me. Only one of the single missions show up, and it will not play and only the 1968 campaign is listed. It is the same, unplayable. When starting it will go to the strategic map bypassing the intro graphics. The map is frozen and the game does not respond to commands. I have to kill it with task manager. I have completely cleared out local files including mods and have done a fresh install. non-beta release works fine.

You can go to Steam and in properties, temporarily opt out of the Beta program and Steam will re-install 1.07e for you.

Another option is to copy your Cold waters working folder to a backup spot. If you get some bad beta just delete the beta and copy the working Cold Waters back.

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 12:01 PM   #32
thereddaikon
Watch

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

That's what I've done at this point. I guess I'll have to wait for the next patch.
thereddaikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 03:04 PM   #33
LTJGBeam
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgard View Post
I got a

Error:system.collections.generic.dictionary'2[system.string.system.string]Does not contain value for wires

where the first world in the text is covered by a picture of a submarine.

It stopped everything.

(Slobbers over a beer at the Pier Pub)
Delgard, I know you use the 2004 Campaign extensively. I had to upgrade/sync the 2004 campaign yesterday, at 4:45 pm AZ and then again at 6:45 PM for the exact error you are reporting. It was working for me after that. You may need to download the 2004 Campaign again to pick up the fix.

Let me know if it is working for you. If it's the vanilla campaigns then I am not sure what is happening. A clean install may be needed.

LTJG Beam
LTJGBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 05:15 PM   #34
wilky210
Swabbie

Downloads: 13

I noticed in the patch too that all the US subs got their decibels increased. Which i'm fine with. But now the Sierra is quieter by 5 DB over the LA class. Is that even realistic?
wilky210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 05:39 PM   #35
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

I know someone here who will not be happy the US subs are getting noisier.

I've not had the impression myself the game is too easy at the higher difficulty settings, but I expect my game play style is different from the extreme players.

As far as realism? No one knows the actual values of active submarine noise. This is all theoretical and game play balancing act.
Supposedly titanium hulls are quieter, but how much? Compared to what? It's all game design stuff.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 12:30 AM   #36
SiegDerMaus
Edgerunner

Downloads: 10

Either way, it's a known fact that pretty much all US boats were quieter than all Soviet boats made around the same time. The US spent the entire Cold War ahead of the Soviets in acoustic stealth. The Sierra being quieter than the LA is not realistic at all.
SiegDerMaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 12:53 AM   #37
wilky210
Swabbie

Downloads: 13

Agreed SiegDerMaus. I assume the change was based strictly on gameplay which is why i'm fine with it overall. But on a personal level i'd rather still see the US boats have an advantage even if it's a small one.

That's why i'm hoping to get a DLC with later boats such as the Akula improved/Seawolf (and other boats), while the US still has an advantage, the Russian boats were much, much closer in terms of being close to as quiet as the US boats in modern boats compared to their earlier counterparts during the Cold War.

And yeah, i know about the mods. The deal breaker (for me) is the lack of 3d models on the newer boats in the mods. Hopefully we can get a change that allows modding to change the actual 3d modelling or some DLC to fix that problem! It's hard to play the game when your Seawolf looks like a black 688.
wilky210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 05:00 AM   #38
Kiwi Red One
Nub

Downloads: 9

Been playing a lot of Cold Waters lately, but the latest Beta download tonight has made it totally unplayable.

I followed the steps outlined higher up the thread and opted out of any betas and was dialed back to 1.07 - now works perfectly OK and only took about 5 minutes to do

Don't give up on this game on the strength of one bad experience - personally I've been finding it quite tough playing NATO diesel boats but love the challenge.

Back to somewhere in the Norwegian Sea - trying to find a SSGN group.
Old 09-19-17, 06:52 AM   #39
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

LTJg Beam,
I did reload NA2004. All is fine. While pier side, I had the crew do a wash and wax and then it was a free pint each at the Pier Pub for the crew.

Thank-you,
Del
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 07:32 AM   #40
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegDerMaus View Post
Either way, it's a known fact that pretty much all US boats were quieter than all Soviet boats made around the same time. The US spent the entire Cold War ahead of the Soviets in acoustic stealth. The Sierra being quieter than the LA is not realistic at all.
Victor 3 was on par with 637 class, and Sierra and Akula are known to have been on par with the Flight 1 688s. The entire reason the Seawolf exists is because the Soviets made a quantum leap in silencing once they started taking it seriously, and their boats became very competitive.

And you should be working hard when you face the latest and best the Soviets can field, not have a 10db advantage like before.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 08:01 AM   #41
GravityWave
Mate

Downloads: 25

I got that system error too referring to wires. I removed override (2004RN), but may have some
files in the default fldr. If so I'll get rid of those as well if they are mods. I did a uninstall/re-install and still got the error. I'll hold off on the 2004 mod for awhile. I realize that its being updated as well. Its getting tough to keep up. Good work all around though.
GravityWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 10:21 AM   #42
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

This is the history of game modding that while the game is still being rapidly updated by the developers and the mod capability is both new and in development, the paper chase is challenging to both the modders and their users.

Players should not be too impatient, insistent and dependent on the mod community at this time and keep in mind the experimenting and learning which dominates this environment until the game becomes mature.

Unforeseen errors in beta releases should be expected because that is why they are betas, to give the many, widely variable community members a chance to try the changes before they are accepted as permanent changes to the game. Temporary beta test changes will have impacts on the mod community which cannot be avoided.

Those who do not wish to be impacted in their game play should opt out of the beta program and use the state of the mods which worked with the stable release, giving the modders a chance to catch up to the next official tested release rather than place unfair demands and pressure on their valuable time.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 12:05 PM   #43
golfvictorwhiskey
Swabbie

Downloads: 17

PV,
Very well articulated, Sir
GVW
golfvictorwhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 12:13 PM   #44
Stuart666
Swabbie

Downloads: 18

I think it was the Victor II that was as quiet as the 637 boats, or at least so Norman Polmar says in his cold war submarines book. They subsequently made the 637 quieter through the 1970s if wikipedia was any truth by having an electrical rectification bus fitted. So if anything, they modeled the Victor II noiser than it probably was. I can buy that about the Sierra. For one thing there is data online that suggests the Akula was a good 15 decibels quieter than the Sierra, which being larger is plausible. http://www.armscontrol.ru/subs/snf/snf03221.htm http://gentleseas.blogspot.co.uk/201...ine-noise.html

Bear in mind the 688 as modelled is pretty much the 1976 model. I would expect the Flight II and Flight III to be quieter, particularly with anechoic covering. Maybe this would be worthy of another thread, but there are some details on here on the noise level of Soviet boats. http://www.dtic.mil/docs/citations/ADC010105

My own view, and its just a personal view looking at that report, and some declassified CIA reports. The sea state noise could do with being upped, perhaps to 78 decibels, in line with what that report says about sea state in the Norwegian sea. And there is a CIA report on the CIA FOIA website that suggests that up to the early 1970s, Soviet sonar systems were for the most part about half as effective as comparable US sonar systems, which suggests to me they are overmodelled. The following estimates there were fewer than 20 ships in the Soviet navy in 1971 with comparable sonar systems to the US, and most of those were compromised by having poor signal processing capabilities. https://www.cia.gov/library/readingr...ent/0005512850

I do think the devs are heading in the right direction I might add. But Id like to see nuclear weapons as an option, ie you use a Mk45 nuclear torpedo, you unlock the reds using them too. Also, be nice to be able to configure availability of torpedos at Holy loch, just to make some nice, juicy weapons particularly scarce. Incidentally, did anyone look at the Moscow class from 1968, the cryptic reference to having not 'yet' added SAM systems?
Stuart666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 12:18 PM   #45
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Stuart666!EXCELLENT NAME! CAPTAIN HADDOCK: WELCOME BACK AFTER A NINE YEAR SILENT RUN!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote