SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-11-17, 07:20 AM   #1
Skyhigh
A-ganger

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1
Default What I really miss in Cold Waters

It is pretty much perfect (okay, apart from that it's a bit too easy to kill off Surface Groups in 1984) but what I really really miss is the following:

Looking for contacts.

I know the game is geared to be a skipper and a skipper doesn't look at the sonar data.

But in DW I really loved looking at the sonar screen, moving the cursor around until you saw some sound data popping up. In a barrier search you'd travel down the barrier, stopping every now and then, looking around... That noise spike, is that a contact? Let's head closer. No it's not. Continue down the barrier.
New noise spike! Is that it? Ah it's a merchant.

Etc. etc.

That part of the stalking I miss, really.
Skyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 12:06 PM   #2
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Yes, with a 12 mile maximum engagement range, the game is somewhat more geared to a more casual or new sub warfare player leaning toward instant gratification. Even then, players with children are mentioning the game as is, difficult to play to a wining scenario in a short time since as with most war games, bad stuff happens while time is accelerated.
DW was definitely geared toward hard core players with its detailed sensor UI and complex engagement variables.

Perhaps realistic and above difficulty settings could include forcing engagement range to random which has the possibility of maximum out to 20 miles with briefing always having last contact heading. Barreling into a blind fight which is heading away from you or strait at you has its own game balancing issues some might object to.

With KF working on adding friendly vessels to the game in a future patch might make these shorter ranges more interesting and less predictable.

As far as difficulty, the community needs to assess if the diff sliders work appropriately. Is the max setting not hard enough?

Personally, even though I have 37 years experience playing sub games, in two weeks of playing I'm still finding realistic challenging enough. Some engagements are easy and some are very hard. That seems to me to be indicative of good play balance where not every engagement should be nearly impossible so average players are encouraged to look forward to winning once in a while and the hard earned techniques they've learned so far actually reward by working while exploits for the sure win every time are at a minimum.

For me, the adventure is part of the appeal of the game while some hard core players are looking more for the sure win exploits.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 03:47 PM   #3
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

It souldn't be so difficult to increase the engagement range and drop TC further away from a potential contact if the player wants. Would make for a final approach to target with more suspense
Old 09-11-17, 03:58 PM   #4
-Pv-
The Old Man

^^^
... at the risk you'll find nothing at all despite considerable effort. If there are only subs, you'll not have periscope, radar or ECM for assistance. They'll be quiet and gone gone gone. While they are running quiet and you are using max speed to discovery range, you'll be at disadvantage while they seemingly pop out of nowhere.

One potential avenue of research would be to load one of the surface engagement missions and purposely move away to see at what point all sensor contact is lost beyond recovery and set the limit to that as an option with 24K still being the default.
-Pv-
Old 09-11-17, 05:28 PM   #5
Skyhigh
A-ganger

I was just talking about the Narrowband Display really, not about ranges.

Right now sonar contacts are handed on a platter. You dont have to do anything about it.
With Narrowband display you have to look around for them. Is more interesting.
Old 09-11-17, 05:34 PM   #6
-Pv-
The Old Man

My impression is the game designers had a goal of the sensors being simpler to operate than DW.
-Pv-
Old 09-11-17, 06:17 PM   #7
Skyhigh
A-ganger

Sure

Just saying what I am missing. It is fun to search for contacts.

And there is a difference in sensors simpler to operate and not to operate them at all, the latter the choice of CW.
Old 09-13-17, 03:19 PM   #8
Zinmar
Commander

Downloads: 276

I like not needing to do it. If I wanted to play a sonarman on a boat I'd buy that game. I'm the skipper and shouldn't have to do that. That's the whole reason of having a crew. So when this is fully released and modders can gp to town leave options. While some want to do all of that work many don't. Strike a happy medium, if you make an ubber mod for the game have options in there for those not wanting to work every station. I love what modders at this place do but virtually everyone wants to man and control each station. It took me forever to get mods running where I don't have to do that. The sad part is I still can't play SH5 with the megamods because I can't get it so I just skipper the boat and let the TDC do the job. Instead I need to make the course corrections, fine tune the angle determine ship type and speed. Call me casual or lazy but that isn't what I want out of a game. I love the realism setting for this, improve some minor things and I might not go back to SH4.
Although, that is one thing I like about SH4 compared to this we are given a target region to patrol and we go there. I have the option of running in the map with TC on or I can go to the sub itself and watch it crashing through the waves or sneaking along the bottom, just above the rocks. with this we are given our targets and sent after them. I'd like to see more of the ocean then just where we are playing. The game is too dependent on what happens with this one sub. One missed mission and the war takes a bad turn, too many and the war is lost. What about all of the other boats that the countries have. Sure this is based off the old Red October but change it up, expand our options. They avoided the PC changing the course of the war in the silent hunter series because one boat can't make or break a war. I guess I just want to be able to see and do more, guess that's why they call them betas.
Zinmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 04:15 PM   #9
-Pv-
The Old Man

SH4 is still my favorite sub game.
-Pv-