Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-17, 03:17 PM   #16
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosthetique View Post
The 76 mm only engage surface vessels. As it is too slow to engage planes.
Perhaps I am mistaken but, from my understanding of Spike's description, the 76mm gun in DW can engage aircraft and missiles (but only when the order is issued manually.)

Is this statement accurate?

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 04:34 PM   #17
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652
Uploads: 0

Herman,
You might want to have an experience by yourself and not rely entirely on someone else description.
Then I attached the manual page regarding the 76 mm.

You definition of "Manual" might expend a bit.

Now just like Harpoon, this game is a variation of a training tool, so there is no sitting on your hand to sit back and enjoy the sight of chaos. Some decision need to be made, and the player is required to make those decision and implement them into the game. The game has already decided what is the minimum involvement of the player. Look from the SONALYSTS web site:
INNOVATIVE 'AUTOCREW' ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
By assigning certain crew stations to be manned by the "virtual crewmen" you can hand off various functions for the simulation to manage. This allows you to tailor the game's difficulty level to your liking and set the precise level of involvement and micro management that you desire. You can choose to man every single available crew station yourself, just a few select stations, or relinquish control to the A.I. and let the 'autocrew' do the rest. Autocrew control is dynamic so you can enable or disable this feature at will for every crew station modeled in the game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DW75canon.jpg (100.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DW75canon2.jpg (99.4 KB, 18 views)
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 05:46 PM   #18
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Within those attached pages from the manual, at no point is the definition of a target given. The pages use 'contact' and 'target', while giving a detailed description of the firing procedures.

Spike has claimed that the 76mm gun is capable of engaging missile, air, and surface targets. Is this correct?

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 08-21-17, 06:21 PM   #19
biosthetique
Lieutenant

When was the last time you Played that game Hermann?
Spike can claim anything he wants.
The pages of the manual clearly mention the speed of the canon!...Did you read those pages?
There is a definition of target in the second page.

Last edited by biosthetique; 08-21-17 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-21-17, 08:04 PM   #20
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Yup, I read both of the pages and saw no indication of gun speed or how a target/contact is defined. Perhaps you could quote the exact wording, as I cannot see it.

I guess we can always hope that Spike is still monitoring this thread and will post an image of the 76mm gun engaging 1) an aircraft and 2) a missile.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 08-22-17, 10:38 AM   #21
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Herman, have EVER played that game?
Old 08-22-17, 10:47 AM   #22
Herman
Ace of the Deep

I have played DW and even wrote a review for it on Armchair General.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/revie...ous-waters.htm

Again, can you simply quote the passages from the manual regarding gun speed and what qualifies as a target for the 76mm gun?

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 08-22-17, 01:17 PM   #23
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Interesting review on which I concur Mister Herman. The only restriction is that the black bean version is the version before the last patch. The Black bean version can be brought up to the latest version.

I quote you: "Except for the occasional assault on the grammatical senses with the use of preposterous terms like "Functionality" and "Rate of Speed," the manual is very well organized, illustrated, and clear. In fact, unless you enjoy staring at *.PDF documents, I would say that the manual should be a compulsory purchase and not an optional one. Not only is the manual an asset to the game, it is a wealth of information on all aspects of submarine warfare." and "Bottom Line: This game is a must-have for any true naval grognard."

Very well Mister Herman, then since you have the game and the manual in your hands, bring her to the roof, you know where the info you are looking for, resides!...I don't need to do the job twice for you since:
- 1 - I already answer that question on steam and here.
- 2 - I designated the passage where some indication of the canon operation ability are expressed and where it is confirmed that the gun shoot at vessels only.

I am looking forward with a mix of joy and excitement the pictures of POS shooting down a plane and a missile with that 76 mm. I can also add that the suspense is gradually becoming unbearable!...Please BRING IT ON!

Last edited by biosthetique; 08-22-17 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 10:59 PM   #24
PoorOldSpike
Seaman

Downloads: 1

Well gentlemen, I see this sensational thread is refusing to die a natural death even though I conclusively demonstrated in my earlier decisive screenshot that the numbnuts Perry crew WON'T automatically fire SAMs and the 76mm gun against incoming anti-ship missiles to defend themselves, they'll only autofire the Gatling and chaff/flares.
To clarify the matter further, here are two more fabulous screenshots from tests I conducted today-

1- The ONLY way to make the Perry fire SAMs is to manually assign targets yourself with a 4-step clickfest process, namely left-click the skimmer/ right click it/ engage with/SAM.
Clearly if a number of missiles are coming in simultaneously you have to do a frantic clickfest to manually assign the SAMs against them and will finish the gaming session in a state of mental collapse and be strapped into a straitjacket by paramedics to be whisked off for urgent trauma therapy.
Here you see my SAM flying (the curved smoke trail) after I manually assigned it to a skimmer.
The Gatling is firing too because I set 'CIWS Auto' at the start of the game so it'll always fire without having to be told (unless its firing arc is blocked by the vessels superstructure) bless its little heart (sniffle)

2- Likewise, the ONLY way to make the 76mm gun fire is to manually assign it to target individual skimmers via the same 4-step clickfest.
I set it to "rapid fire" and it's dramatically banging away boom-boom-boom, and the Gatling has also automatically joined the party as usual-
(Remember to turn the ship if you have to, to give the 76mm a clear firing arc, as it and the Gatling are on the rear decking and therefore won't be able to engage anything coming in on the bows unless you turn the ship)

PS- as I've been saying all through this incredible thread, PLEASE TELL ME if I'm doing something wrong! Namely, if YOUR ships are firing SAM's and the 76mm automatically without having to be manually ordered to do so, tell me how to do it too, or is it a secret?
Until then, all I've said in this hallowed thread stands like irrefutable holy scripture..
PoorOldSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-17, 12:57 AM   #25
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Shooting with a 76mm gun is not very clever because it requires second FCR (CAS) only for low effective (against missiles) gun. It means only 1 SAM against ASM's

BTW i am experienced "Surf" player and i do all manualy - from stations.

Some things you can do from keyboard shortcuts:
- launching chaff/flares
- turning ship

All rest from stations:
1) Turn CIWS to Auto (NOT Full auto)
2) Assign incoming ASM
3) Press Fire button
4) Press Confirm button
and again.

I can in MP sessions shoot down / evade all 12 TASM attack with 80-90% for succes

But best way for evading ASM attacs is... be invisible to your enemy!
I recommend stay in EMCON, hide behind other ships.oil rigs, using helo in radar mode (but not too close own ship)

After message "underwater missile launch" you can turn on radars, CIWS and launch chaffs (recommended 2 manualy)
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-17, 10:13 AM   #26
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldSpike View Post
PS- as I've been saying all through this incredible thread, PLEASE TELL ME if I'm doing something wrong! Namely, if YOUR ships are firing SAM's and the 76mm automatically without having to be manually ordered to do so, tell me how to do it too, or is it a secret?
Until then, all I've said in this hallowed thread stands like irrefutable holy scripture..
Yes, I can tell you what you did wrong: You did not read the manual.
Then you did not look at tutorial vids.

In brief you did not research your subject before jumping into the water, and resisted incoming information, so you drowned.

Dangerous Waters unlike many other PC games requires full attention and dedication.

Would you play Harpoon without the manual and without tutorial from Herman?

Here is a Youtube tutorial vid from FPSchalzy: Perry-class Frigate Tutorial 3

But you can play Cold Waters, SSN, Fleet Command and many more without the thorough read of a manual.

In conclusion, what is right for so many games, is maladapted for this one.
Improvise, ADAPT and Overcome!!!

Last edited by biosthetique; 08-23-17 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-23-17, 08:22 PM   #27
PoorOldSpike
Seaman

Quote:
Yes, I can tell you what you did wrong: You did not read the manual. Then you did not look at tutorial vids.
In brief you did not research your subject before jumping into the water, and resisted incoming information, so you drowned..
An interesting conspiracy theory mate, but no..
Perhaps I didn't explain clearly enough, so here are another set of 3 stunning new screenshots from tests I just conducted which will illustrate further what I've been saying.
These pics are of an ENEMY- repeat ENEMY- Perry, note how it does everything right despite being under computer control. Firstly it fires Harpoons at hostile ships-

Then it fires SAMs at incoming skimmers, and note the ships wake as it cleverly manoeuvres-

And finally its Gatling begins speaking-

Get it? to their great credit, the DW developers have given enemy AI vessels the brains to both engage the enemy and to defend themselves, that's AI programming of the highest order and they deserve a medal, (even the ships in the much-hyped CMANO/Inferno/Chains don't have the brains to do that!)
But as I've said all along in this thread, our human-controlled DW vessel has to be ordered manually to fire its Harpoons and SAMs, and manoeuvred around.
I daresay a lot of players enjoy micromanaging like that, but regrettably I'm not one of them.
So thanks to everybody's input to this unearthly thread, my original question has been answered, namely that DW ownships have to be micromanaged because they won't do it themselves.
I'm not saying it's a game flaw, it's just the way the game was designed..

Last edited by PoorOldSpike; 08-23-17 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-24-17, 12:50 PM   #28
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldSpike View Post
An interesting conspiracy theory mate, but no..
But as I've said all along in this thread, our human-controlled DW vessel has to be ordered manually to fire its Harpoons and SAMs, and manoeuvred around.
And, that is the reason why they are human controlled, otherwise they would not qualify as "HUMAN CONTROLLED"...Would they?

You must have complained a lot to your teachers when you were at school.
All the homework, listening, taking notes, writing assignments...I mean all that MICRO-MANAGEMENT!....

No OODA loop for you then!...

Did someone hint you that DW was based on a training tool?

Finally what are you complaining about? The Perry's do on their own what you wanted them to do. So what is your real request?

Last edited by biosthetique; 08-24-17 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-24-17, 01:43 PM   #29
PoorOldSpike
Seaman

Quote:
...Finally what are you complaining about? The Perry's do on their own what you wanted them to do. So what is your real request?
Well mate this sensational thread of mine has run to 2 pages and is chock full of my stunning screenshots, divine proclamations and heavenly-inspired insights, and has become a holy shrine for naval wargamers everywhere who make pilgrimages to worship at it, so if you still don't know what it's about, I suggest you take holy orders and enter a monastery for further spiritual study.
PS- By way of my "credentials", here's a 6" silver trophy I won for topping a wargame league, I keep it on a small table in my living room, carefully positioned so that it catches the rays of the sun and is the first thing guests see when they arrive, and I can keep steering the conversation towards it during the course of the evening..

Old 08-24-17, 01:54 PM   #30
A-Ganger
Sparky

Downloads: 13

The issue is he is complaining that the FFG won't auto shoot anything but the machine gun "I think?" when he has incoming missiles.
Unlike the AI version of the FFG which shoots everything.

But hey, why not give subs underwater missiles to shoot all the incoming torpedoes so the player doesn't have to do anything?
I mean they threw in a shoulder mounted SAM launcher on subs (which is completely retarded anyways and never ever happened).

Why not give the MH-60R Helo multiple Hellfires to shoot at incoming SAMs or give it an Autocrew to shoot at incomings with it's machine gun?
And I might add as well, the player Helo doesn't always have time to even shoot flares even when set to AC.

Honestly tho, why play the FFG is you want it to do everything for you? What's the point in that play style. Drive around shooting at everyone else while your ship auto shoots at everything shot at it. Wouldn't be much of a player controlled game if everything is on Auto.

Doesn't SC do all that for you?
A-Ganger is offline   Reply With Quote