SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-28-17, 09:28 PM   #1
tAKticool47
Bosun

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default ECM/EW/AEW Aircraft do anything?

Hi everyone-

My main question is- do the electronic warfare aircraft like EA-6B Prowlers, ES-3 Vikings, EC-130s etc etc etc. actually do anything? How bout the Airborne Early Warning planes like the Hawkeye or Sentry?

Here is my situation- I have been having fun with the last mission of the (EDIT- I messed up -
actually it was the final mission of the 688 Seawolf SubCommand campaign --- and I just installed the latest RA mod pack, and apparently lost my modified mission, doh. Oh well. ) .... I made it into a surface mission, added my own large surface fleet, a ton of various aircraft, and have been playing it for a few weeks now. Sadly I have never been able to really complete the "mission" (ie, kill all the bad guys" because it invariably crashes. I assume I have just too many planes and ships going against too many ships (Russians) with too many missiles. So I keep messing around and trying again, it's time-consuming but fun for a while here and there.

My wondering is, it seems to me, the Russians have a damn-near impregnable advantage- the SS-N-19 Shipwreck missile is nearly unbeatable, and the Kirov has so many, the Kuznetsov has so many, and then the Slava launches Sunburns, the Sovernmenny launches whatever it has, etc. But the real problem seems to be the fact that the Kuz and Kirov launch about 100 Shipwrecks , and as they're slowing tracking across the screen, my planes launch a ton of weapons, and they launch a ton of SAMs, etc. At some point I get a game crash-

but it raises the question- are my Prowlers, Hawkeyes, AWACS Sentrys, ES-3 Vikings, C-130 intel versions , *actually doing anything* ie affecting the bad guys ships/missiles in a bad way or me in a good way, or are they just taking up memory computations?

Ok thanks much. As always!

Last edited by tAKticool47; 07-28-17 at 10:07 PM.
tAKticool47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 03:39 AM   #2
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

All EW aircraft jamming works but i don't know how exactly.

For test just do in editor, mission with:
- for you: O.H.Perry or even Bergamini (longer range for missiles)
- hostile FFG in range 30 nmi
- hostile EW aircraft.
...and turn on link-11 and all your radars.

You will see, that shoting down hostile ASM's is much harder than without EW aircraft (because your FCR will be jammed)
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote