Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-14-16, 03:23 AM   #1
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 0
Default CAPTOR and RA

Couple of months I was playing DW regularly with Lwami mod and the stopped due the lack of time but now I am back with RA mod installed.
Before my main platform was the Orion (due the lack of TMA skills; working on it now) and with LWAMI often I used CAPTOR one MAD contact. That always got me a kill or a hit since the CAPTOR after it gets in water would almost instantly fire its torp. Now with RA that was not the case. Last night I have set up quick mission with Orion one easy with truth on to experiment and see how RA changed Orion. I had one sub to sink a Han going flank submerged. Went above it and placed one captor on its path and other one I fired above him but it fell in the water behind him but it was very close.
The CAPTORS for some reasons did not fire on him despite him going flank and close to them. I have read the manual but I cannot understand around CAPTOR segment so if somebody with more experience with RA and CAPTORS give me tips on how to deploy, its presets and such things.
NiceSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-16, 07:56 AM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

That's quite an interesting tactic. Why not just drop a torpedo instead of a CAPTOR?

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-16, 08:24 AM   #3
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

I think in RA CAPTOR have smaller range of detection but it works fine. One of last MP battle I put russian version of CAPTOR near enemy sub and torpedo after few seconds was launched to target.

RA weapon manual have 2 CAPTOR topic: for OHIO (page 25) and for P-3 Orion (page 45).
In Orion section you can read this:
"Passive sonar detection channel, work is in the standby mode, listening 30-50 seconds every 5 minutes"
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-16, 08:32 AM   #4
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

@FPSchazly:
I was good tactic because in vanila and LwAmi CAPTOR was device with 360 deg searching sensor an can attack only enemy sub.
Air dropped torpedo have smaller cone of searching and almost always run in circle mode - somethimes turn for opposite direction than sub.
Old 12-14-16, 09:02 AM   #5
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
That's quite an interesting tactic. Why not just drop a torpedo instead of a CAPTOR?
I have noticed once I pass a sub and get MAD I have already flown above it and by the time I set torp and press fire its is far behind me. Thats why I always keep CAPTOR preselected and KILL READY in case of random MAD I can drop it ASAP. The thing is now the CAPTOR in RA do not see the sub that is flanking right next to it. It was 100% inside it CAPTOR radius that is if I am not mistaken 2.5nm effective.

So can somebody shed some light on depth setting relating CAPTOR and its usage in RA? How do you set it up to to get hit with it? It seems my does not see sub for some reason
Old 12-14-16, 09:24 AM   #6
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

All about depth you have in manual page 45
Old 12-14-16, 10:00 AM   #7
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
All about depth you have in manual page 45
That is my theory too, thing is the translation to English about the CAPTOR is bit hard to understand. Thats why I am asking here if someone could explain me those settings and how to deploy it properly.
Old 12-14-16, 10:43 AM   #8
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

You settings depth of CAPTOR doesn't matter because it depends from seabed depth:

Quote:
At water depths up to 230 meters (754ft) of the mine is set in the bottom position of 7.5 m from
the ground.
At water depths between 230-460 meters (754-1509ft), put mines is equal to half the
depth of space, and at a bottom depth more than 460 meters, it is 305 meters (1000 ft), which is close to the limit.
As you can see, depth of CAPTOR is set automatically.
Old 12-14-16, 01:46 PM   #9
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

It should see that Han pretty easily. I know if I get within a few thousand yards of one in a 688(I) at around 7 knots, I set off CAPTORs like it's nothing!

I'd also like to bring up a CAPTOR discussion based on what you guys have said. Is this behavior kind of "glitchy" or an unintentional side effect of how the CAPTOR is modeled? Shouldn't this thing have to sink to the bottom and set itself up before it actually fires on something instead of launching its torpedo as soon as it hits the water? Basically, shouldn't there be a decent length delay between the CAPTOR entering the water and it being ready to launch its torpedo?

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-16, 04:28 PM   #10
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Yeah it could be the depth I was in very deep water...deeper then the CAPTOR limit I guess.
Chazly the CAPTOR only worked in deep water in Lwami. There like 5 sec after it get in the water it would send torp on the sub...probably not realistic but hey I did not hesitate to abuse it
I will try in shallow water and report back with RA
Old 12-15-16, 05:23 AM   #11
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Did some experiments and I have foudn out in RA I must stay within depth limits also in shallow water if you drop it from orion it will probably hit the bottom and be destroyed (this was the case on 200ft).
But if I found some medium deep water and try it there it worked I killed a sub that was not going more then 3kts.
Old 09-01-17, 12:31 PM   #12
A-Ganger
Sparky

Downloads: 13

I've been having this discussion with the guys over at the RA Mod website (RU).
Since they've changed the Captor mines anchoring system to work like real world mines, they've almost made launching these mines from the P3 pointless.

They linked me this:
https://translate.google.ru/translat...-text=&act=url

In deep water they anchor at 1476 feet. YET on the P3 you still have settings of surface, shallow, deep and bottom! Unclear why the changed anchoring model yet didn't remove the ability to set the depth?

This is their weapons RA info:
MK 60 CAPTOR Moored Mine (CAPsulated Torpedo, P3 Orion Payload)
Contains a Mark 46 Torpedo, which is released once the CAPTOR detects an Enemy Submarine.
Sensor Max Range: 6,000 Yards (effective range 2 nm)
Max Depth Bottom at place installation: 2998 ft (914 m.)
Mark 46 Captor Torpedo - Range: 11.112 m (12,000 Yards). Depth - 1500 ft (457 m.)
Mk 60 Setting Depth: Automatically after launch by user.
At water depths up to 230 meters (754ft) of the mine is set in the bottom position of 7.5 m from the ground. At water depths between 230-460 meters (754-1509ft), put mines is equal to half the depth of space, and at a bottom depth more than 460 meters, it is 305 meters (1000 ft), which is close to the limit.
In order to set the CARTOP at 100 ft (30 m.) with a large depth of the bottom, set the mode of the “Shallow” in mine preset.
Passive sonar detection channel, work is in the standby mode, listening 30-50 seconds every 3 minutes. The torpedo Mk.46 launched when mine equipment classifies Target as a hostile submarine, located in a submerged position.
NOTE: Only general device has the block of classification of the target.
The torpedo can be induced on the ship if he will be found out by a torpedo.

I can tell you that these do not work. Yesterday I dropped 5 Captors in deep water, they all went to 1476 feet.
Enemy sub drove so close to 1 mine (sub @ 900ft, mine @ 1476 ft) I could see the sub while looking at the 3d view of that mine. Captor NEVER launched? Maybe it was on it's cooldown, no way to tell.
However, the sub continued on and drove right by 2 other Captors all within 1 nm of sub..NEVER EVER LAUNCHED any of them. All mines on cooldown at same time> Highly unlikely since they were dropped over a 10 min time frame.

Now one other confusing point from they link they sent me. Where it discusses the The Main TTX Mk.60 Captor
After the pressure inside the mine shell is equalized with the external hydrostatic pressure, the top cover of the shell opens. At the same time, the torpedo engine starts, and it exits the mine body, circulates in the vertical plane and enters the search depth (the latter is set when the mine is equipped).

The last part:
Is this to referring to the settings in the P3 (surface,shallow,deep,bottom) for the Captor?
Meaning you are setting the search depth from the P3?
That would make no sense! When it shoots at a target the torpedo would obviously home in on the target regardless of target depth.

Lastly, their own RA Weapons description is wrong.
It states; In order to set the CARTOP at 100 ft (30 m.) with a large depth of the bottom, set the mode of the “Shallow” in mine preset.

What is (a large depth of bottom)? It's unclear/undefined and I can tell you that in deep water, NONE of the P3 settings have any affect on the depth of the mine. They all go to 1476 feet.

A-Ganger is offline   Reply With Quote