SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-16-17, 09:46 PM   #16
Whitzwolf
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

"Active and passive torpedoes no longer home on sinking/sunk vessels"

AmI the only one upset about this? I loved using wrecks to deter torpedoes away from me, especially in my diesel boats
Old 07-16-17, 10:01 PM   #17
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default welcome aboard!

Whitzwolf!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 04:01 AM   #18
ChaosphereIX
Mate

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitzwolf View Post
"Active and passive torpedoes no longer home on sinking/sunk vessels"

AmI the only one upset about this? I loved using wrecks to deter torpedoes away from me, especially in my diesel boats
yes you might be, this is one of the most frustrating things about hunting, say, a convoy - torps all go to a wreck and not to any actual ships

I am really glad this is being fixed.
ChaosphereIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 05:37 AM   #19
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

It will also be more realistic which is strong enough argument for some of us.
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 08:40 PM   #20
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

I'm only slightly on the fence with this. Reason being is that a sinking ship makes a lot of noise and I think, all other things being equal, probably would attract a torpedo (assuming its passing though the same depth ect.) Also a ship on the bottom (or any other large object) would likely have a decent enough return on active to bring in a pinging torpedo as well. I'd honestly like to see stuff like that stay, but what has to go is the torpedoes being attracted to the wrecks from miles out vs going after their intended targets.

Same idea as the wrecks having the same sonar signature / still emitting radar.
Old 07-18-17, 04:43 AM   #21
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
I'm only slightly on the fence with this. Reason being is that a sinking ship makes a lot of noise and I think, all other things being equal, probably would attract a torpedo (assuming its passing though the same depth ect.) Also a ship on the bottom (or any other large object) would likely have a decent enough return on active to bring in a pinging torpedo as well. I'd honestly like to see stuff like that stay, but what has to go is the torpedoes being attracted to the wrecks from miles out vs going after their intended targets.

Same idea as the wrecks having the same sonar signature / still emitting radar.
I was thinking the same thing some time ago but I think there is a topic somewhere on this forum, where Shipkiller explained why it shouldn't happen.
Radar is another thing though and sinking ships should still attract missiles.
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 05:14 AM   #22
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Well, turns out the torpedoes are actually listening for specific narrowband frequencies and not broadband noise, so there's no reason they should lock on a wreck no matter how noisy it is.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 06:14 AM   #23
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_Harpoon View Post
I was thinking the same thing some time ago but I think there is a topic somewhere on this forum, where Shipkiller explained why it shouldn't happen.
Radar is another thing though and sinking ships should still attract missiles.
Yup, as I recall though he was talking about a depth "floor" where by a seeking torpedo targeted at a surface vessel wouldn't dive down after returns below a set depth. I should have been more descriptive too, when I said "pinging-torpedo" I mean something that is already gone into acquisition, chances are (and this is probably quite wrong for newer, more sophisticated torpedoes) if you can give it a bigger sonar return (in this case the wreck) it will go for that, something like early Sidewinder missiles breaking lock and homing in on the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
Well, turns out the torpedoes are actually listening for specific narrowband frequencies and not broadband noise, so there's no reason they should lock on a wreck no matter how noisy it is.
That's a good point too, that the torpedo would be homing on the sounds made by the mechanical parts of the ship functioning and not just noise in general.