SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-28-15, 09:20 AM   #1
dazzer
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Sub Command & SCX

After a long time away have dusted off the SC to revisit it. I have a problem with SCX and not sure if its actually installed properly or its just me and my memory of what SCX does within SC. I'm running Win8.1 and downloaded SC from steam, I then installed SCX into the SC folder within the steam program.
On starting SC, the splash screen appers and in the bottom right corner the SCX11c is visible.
But the game still seems to be stock nothing seems to be different, I'm I missing something?
Any pointers would be gratefully received
dazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 09:21 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

dazzer!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 06:51 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

My apologies, I don't have SC but welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 09:26 AM   #4
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

If you got it with Steam then the game is likely installed somwhere in the Steam folder in C:\Program Files\Steam. Windows UAC prevents the mod from modifying the game files. Ideally the game should not be installed in Program Files as the game relies on saving files into the Scenario folder. A solution may be to make a copy of the game folder and place this elsewhere on the c-drive. And run the subcommand executable from there. But iirc you also need to tweak a registry setting so the game knows where it's files are stored. I'm sure it is talked about in some thread in here over the years.

Also, the SCU program hacks the Subcommand executable to get different playable units, it's changing specific bytes inside. The Steam version of the file is different, and so SCU cannot work on this.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-16, 11:52 AM   #5
Orbiter688
Swabbie

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
If you got it with Steam then the game is likely installed somwhere in the Steam folder in C:\Program Files\Steam. Windows UAC prevents the mod from modifying the game files. Ideally the game should not be installed in Program Files as the game relies on saving files into the Scenario folder. A solution may be to make a copy of the game folder and place this elsewhere on the c-drive. And run the subcommand executable from there. But iirc you also need to tweak a registry setting so the game knows where it's files are stored. I'm sure it is talked about in some thread in here over the years.

Also, the SCU program hacks the Subcommand executable to get different playable units, it's changing specific bytes inside. The Steam version of the file is different, and so SCU cannot work on this.

So if I'm interpreting this correctly, because we purchased it via Steam we will not be able to use the SXCII & SCSIIc mods for SubCommand?
Orbiter688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-16, 12:52 PM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

No, just the SCU utility of it that allows you to change to a non-stock playable class. All other mod features are still functional.
Old 01-05-16, 02:08 PM   #7
Orbiter688
Swabbie

Quote:
No, just the SCU utility of it that allows you to change to a non-stock playable class. All other mod features are still functional.
Thanks for the quick reply. don't know what the non-stock vehicles were so I guess I won't miss them, just happy that the other items in the mod are usable. Now where do I find it? SubGuru had links, but they all showed as file no longer found. Can anyone refer me to a good download link for SCX & SCXIIc? Thanks.

EDIT

This is what I just found at SubGuru.com and it is downloadable.

What it is - SCX is a community-created mod for Sub Command. It adds new subs, ships, aircraft, weapons and sensors, as well as 'tweaking' the originals for added realism. SCU (Sub Changer Utility) is an add-on to SCX II that allows the player to control other sub classes in addition to the 'stock' Los Angeles, Seawolf and Akula subs.

SCX/SCU (Simple Installer Version)
(42 MBytes)

This installer combines the SCX II and SCX IIc update packages as well as the ESM Fix so you don't need to install any of them again. Furthermore all changes for the SCU are done as well, so all you have to do is select your Submarine of choice (don't try to use the InstallPlayableSub.exe - you don't have to). Same goes for the batch files which are still in some of the directories ... simply ignore them. The only optional thing you can do is use the SC SoundEdit Tool (which is included in this installer) and add the buoy sound which is mentioned in one of the ReadMe's.

After installing the SCX Package there is no going back to stock Sub Command unless you deinstall and install it again. There is no JSGME Tool or other such thing included in this installer.

Big Thanks to the SCX Team - you guys did a great job. I just put a new wrapping on the gift package.

Cheers,
Thorsten "OneShot" Bergmann

Do I just have to install this and them I'm good to go? If so, where do I install it ?

EDIT: 1/06/2016

Mod downloaded and installed, now just have to get in there and play. Thanks for all the help, this is a great community!

Last edited by Orbiter688; 01-06-16 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-05-16, 04:53 PM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

I never used this simple installer version myself, so I'm not 100% sure of how it works. It's possible that Oneshot's Setup does a file verification check on the subcommand executable and checks if it is modable for the SCU utility. Then likely it cannot be used with Steam. It will probably give a warning. Maybe you can ask Oneshot via PM here on the forum if you cannot get it to work.

Iirc I had to run the batchfiles myself with the older DIY-downloads found on subguru.com. This installer apparently does it for you. I think you just run the setup file and it either finds Subcommand from the registry automatically, or you have to point it to the Subcommand folder inside the Steam folder (probably: c:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Subcommand or something like that). Remember to run the SCXIIc_Installer file as an administrator if it is in the "Program Files" folder structure, or else some things won't stick.
Old 01-05-16, 05:02 PM   #9
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Ahh heck, I still need to finish Subguru/Bill's Scicilian Wedding multi-mission scenario after all those years. I'll try to reinstall subcommand on my win 8.1 and see how far I get with this. As I said, I can't account for the Steam factor in this puzzle though. YMMV

[EDIT]Hmm, not having any luck today trying get the game to run in Windows 8.1. I know others can, but I must be doing something wrong, or I need directx 8.0c which I haven't tried.

Last edited by Pisces; 01-05-16 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-06-16, 09:22 AM   #10
Orbiter688
Swabbie

Quote:
Ahh heck, I still need to finish Subguru/Bill's Scicilian Wedding multi-mission scenario after all those years. I'll try to reinstall subcommand on my win 8.1 and see how far I get with this. As I said, I can't account for the Steam factor in this puzzle though. YMMV

[EDIT]Hmm, not having any luck today trying get the game to run in Windows 8.1. I know others can, but I must be doing something wrong, or I need directx 8.0c which I haven't tried.

To Pisces:

Mod downloaded and installed (and yes the executable runs a batch file during the installation process), now just have to get in there and play. Thanks for all the help, this is a great community!