SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-11-17, 08:14 AM   #61
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
Jimbuna's steady posting of pictures showing ugly stock SH3 models has always been a great motivation for doing better models
I probably shall give credit to his contribution

Quote:
I would like to complete another project before. The major obstactle is that the guns are not available:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_5-51_mk7.php

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_3-50_mk10-22.php

Gap, if you feel for you may consider to re-create them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
And what about 4,7inch guns with and without shield (for Nelson battleship I converted from SH5) ?
if someone can provide me with good quality pictures of the guns seen from different angles or, at best, with construction schemes, why not?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 08:38 AM   #62
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
if someone can provide me with good quality pictures of the guns seen from different angles or, at best, with construction schemes, why not?
Let's finish all our projects first.
Old 06-11-17, 01:31 PM   #63
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Gap, how many projects you "run" by now?
Here you go

http://www.mediafire.com/file/99b3n1...50_Mk_10-22.7z

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nk7bub...hb/5inch-51.7z

Mind the polygon count, we need AI items not player models

A largely correct model of a 3inch-50 submarine wet mount is in SH4 but has in total >30 000 polygons
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 02:03 PM   #64
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Gap, how many projects you "run" by now?
Here you go
You mean how many projects carried me away?
I don't know exactly, but obviously more than I can handle

I couldn't ask for more

Quote:
Mind the polygon count, we need AI items not player models
Roger that
How many polygons more or less would you like each gun to be?

Quote:
A largely correct model of a 3inch-50 submarine wet mount is in SH4 but has in total >30 000 polygons
I will have a look into it. Maype I can downsample it. If not, it will be a good template to start from
Old 06-11-17, 04:02 PM   #65
the_frog
Commander

Quote:
How many polygons more or less would you like each gun to be?
Check the 6 inch model I once sent

Most of the guns I did had 4 to 5 000 triangles. This seems to be good comprise between the level of detail and what SH3 can handle.
Old 06-11-17, 04:10 PM   #66
gap
Navy Seal

Icon14

Quote:
Check the 6 inch model I once sent

Most of the guns I did had 4 to 5 000 triangles. This seems to be good comprise between the level of detail and what SH3 can handle.
Those amazing guns... I almost forgot about them!

Time to download your files, hoping that the link is still working, and to return the favor
Old 06-11-17, 04:16 PM   #67
the_frog
Commander

I remember seeing a model of the USS Texas having the two guns. It could be this model but I do not use Sketchup anaymore and so I cannot check.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/545ff652d009382f7bb109af440648c0/USS-Texas-BB-35?
Old 07-16-17, 01:56 PM   #68
gap
Navy Seal

Hi The_Frog

In the past few days I have been reading information on the guns that you need for equipping your upcoming model and, seeing how many US ships had those guns fitted aboard (some of them even featured in stock SHIII, IV and 5), I must say that it is a scandal that no one has modelled them yet.
So, being the curious (and lazy) guy that I am, I have decided to have a look into the sketchup model that you pointed me to, and I hve also managed extraxting some meshes from it. Here they are, after some basic reworks by me:

Far from being a perfect copy of the real guns, I think those models look pretty decent though. Indeed, besides the usual reworks imposed by missing polygons, normals facing the wrong direction, etc, they will require a good polygon reduction (they are way beyond the poly count limit you gave me).
What do you think? Should I go for it?

Something I have noticed, is that the the look of the 3"/50 gun varied quite a lot during its long service. The model above probably reperesents an interwar mark (Mk 20 maybe?), when New-York-class battleships were re-fitted with those guns. Do you think it is okay for your upcoming model, or we should go for a later mark?
Old 07-16-17, 04:22 PM   #69
the_frog
Commander

Hello gap,

the 3 inch-50 was one of the most numerous pieces of equipment in the USN inventory and used especially on anti-submarine warfare vessels such as the DEs. So, yes, it's kind of funny that Ubisolft did no model of it

Those models are good enough for SH3 purposes but it is pretty clear they are based on cyclinders with far more than the 12 edges that give nicely smooth models in SH3.

Missing polygons, faces facing opposite directions and the stupid number of faces, these are the annoying features of meshes converted Sketch Up meshes. I think fine tuning such models needs more time than re-building them from scratch. But if you feel for starting the preocess I won't stop you

I still have little time to dedicate to 3D stuff but I lost interest in the Treasury class cutters (those need the two guns) and went back to the Dido. Some progress ...

Top and bow-heavy they were.

Most fittings are ready and "just" need to placed ...
In addition, items left to do: funnels, masts, davits, shafts ... and those bloody ships had boats different from those of Southampton/Fiji ... well, at least the 27-ft whaler is same.
Old 07-16-17, 05:28 PM   #70
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
the 3 inch-50 was one of the most numerous pieces of equipment in the USN inventory and used especially on anti-submarine warfare vessels such as the DEs. So, yes, it's kind of funny that Ubisolft did no model of it
Exactly my point: when I discovered that the two New York class battleships
had both guns in their late and mid-late war configuration, I thought I could rip them from SH5, but I was horrified to discover that Ubisoft guys fitted those ships with a fantasy armament

Quote:
Those models are good enough for SH3 purposes but it is pretty clear they are based on cyclinders with far more than the 12 edges that give nicely smooth models in SH3.
Twice the needed number of edges to be more precise: 24

Quote:
Missing polygons, faces facing opposite directions and the stupid number of faces, these are the annoying features of meshes converted Sketch Up meshes. I think fine tuning such models needs more time than re-building them from scratch. But if you feel for starting the preocess I won't stop you
Well, I see them more as a 3D blueprint than as a model ready to be fed in s3D. I think more than 3/4 of the time I spend for modelling complex objects, is used for figuring out shapes and proportions from photographs and flat drawing (and for looking for them), than for actually modelling. Sometimes I get stuck, and I can only proceed to the next step when I find a photograph from the 'right' angle, or when I have a mental illumination lol. So, for me, a good 3D template is always a good thing

Quote:
I still have little time to dedicate to 3D stuff but I lost interest in the Treasury class cutters (those need the two guns) and went back to the Dido. Some progress ...
Have you seen the SH5 model of it? How does it compare to the real Didos?
Old 07-17-17, 02:32 PM   #71
the_frog
Commander

Quote:
Exactly my point: when I discovered that the two New York class battleships had both guns in their late and mid-late war configuration, I thought I could rip them from SH5, but I was horrified to discover that Ubisoft guys fitted those ships with a fantasy armament
Well, well, Ubi did several fancy fantasy items. One is the 4.5-inch guns in SH5, which is partly modelled after the US 4 inch-50. Or the director towers of the SH4/5 Dido

Quote:
Twice the needed number of edges to be more precise: 24
Great ...

Quote:
Well, I see them more as a 3D blueprint than as a model ready to be fed in s3D. I think more than 3/4 of the time I spend for modelling complex objects, is used for figuring out shapes and proportions from photographs and flat drawing (and for looking for them), than for actually modelling. Sometimes I get stuck, and I can only proceed to the next step when I find a photograph from the 'right' angle, or when I have a mental illumination lol. So, for me, a good 3D template is always a good thing
I understand. As templates they may work fine if to scale.

Quote:
Have you seen the SH5 model of it? How does it compare to the real Didos?
The SH3 model was bad but was re-used in SH4, with some polygon-heavy nonsense added. This worsened model, with little changes, then made it into SH5 ...
So, it is about as close to reality as the equipment of the New York class
Old 07-17-17, 04:18 PM   #72
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Well, well, Ubi did several fancy fantasy items. One is the 4.5-inch guns in SH5, which is partly modelled after the US 4 inch-50. Or the director towers of the SH4/5 Dido

The SH3 model was bad but was re-used in SH4, with some polygon-heavy nonsense added. This worsened model, with little changes, then made it into SH5 ...
So, it is about as close to reality as the equipment of the New York class
Old 08-13-17, 04:55 AM   #73
yamatoforever
Weps

Downloads: 20

Quote:
Seems you have not been here for a while
Welcome back.

Still modding train simulations or are you returning now to the sea?
Both! And the great new ships are then installed in my DFW videos.

(Schön wieder dabei zu sein und von dir zu hören)
yamatoforever is offline   Reply With Quote