SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims > Sub Commander
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-15-17, 06:24 PM   #601
toothandnail
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Pump operation at depth

First, can I say I love love _love_ this game.
And that comes from a guy who basically only ever plays Nethack, Dwarf Fortress, and Tracon II.

While I think there is still plenty of room for growth in this game (and I do hope it does grow!) there is only one feature that I so wish were incorporated now: an option to allow the pumps to continue to work at depth.

I realize that it may not be realistic for the bilge pumps to work below 90 meters or so, and maybe defaulting to realism is fine. But it would be so much fun to battle the incoming water and try to make repairs as the sub sinks toward crush depth. I've lost many many subs that could have been saved if the pumps even partially worked below 90 meters. (My lame solution right now is to fast-drive the sub into shallow water, and get magically snapped up above 90 meters when it hits the shallow bottom. It's not like that's realistic either.)

This problem actually got me interested in how deep bilge pumps actually work on real subs. Turns out, this is not something easily google-able.

TL;DR: Add an option to allow the pumps to work continue working at any depth. I wouldn't care if they continued working minimally below 90 meters, or if it's easier, just an option to disable the pump depth limitation altogether.

Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeoff View Post
EDIT: Latest Version: 0.28

Sub Commander is a free, independently developed roguelike submarine simulator with an emphasis on realism and freedom of choice. Originally, the game was envisioned to be a kind of cross between Dwarf Fortress and the film K-19 The Widowmaker but it is rapidly growing to a full featured submarine warfare simulator. Eventually I plan to simulate all aspects of cold war era naval and aerial combat, so the player's submarine will be in the midst of a dynamic, procedurally generated global war.
toothandnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 06:40 PM   #602
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

toothandnail!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-15-17 at 08:12 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 05:55 AM   #603
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothandnail View Post
First, can I say I love love _love_ this game.
And that comes from a guy who basically only ever plays Nethack, Dwarf Fortress, and Tracon II.

While I think there is still plenty of room for growth in this game (and I do hope it does grow!) there is only one feature that I so wish were incorporated now: an option to allow the pumps to continue to work at depth.

I realize that it may not be realistic for the bilge pumps to work below 90 meters or so, and maybe defaulting to realism is fine. But it would be so much fun to battle the incoming water and try to make repairs as the sub sinks toward crush depth. I've lost many many subs that could have been saved if the pumps even partially worked below 90 meters. (My lame solution right now is to fast-drive the sub into shallow water, and get magically snapped up above 90 meters when it hits the shallow bottom. It's not like that's realistic either.)

This problem actually got me interested in how deep bilge pumps actually work on real subs. Turns out, this is not something easily google-able.

TL;DR: Add an option to allow the pumps to work continue working at any depth. I wouldn't care if they continued working minimally below 90 meters, or if it's easier, just an option to disable the pump depth limitation altogether.

Thanks so much!
You have a great point here, would be better if the pumps never quite cut out completely so there is still a (slim) chance of recovery. I've made a small modification so that this is possible -

First, download the new .exe file here and put it in the main Sub Commander folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8sx2qzoncw...0_28b.zip?dl=1
Then, for each sub you want to use, go to the /subs/[sub name]/performance.ini file and add the following lines at the bottom:
Code:
[ SYSTEMS ] 

min_pump_flow_rate_limit = 150
This will mean the pumps will always be able to operate at up to 150 litres/minute, regardless of depth. The performance will still be better at the surface and drop as you dive down towards 90 metres, but this means they will never become completely useless. You can tweak this value to your liking. Let me know how it goes!
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 07:33 AM   #604
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim toothandnail

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-17, 09:51 PM   #605
toothandnail
Swabbie

Default pumps working

This is so great!
I have not yet successfully put a sub through crush depth, repaired it and pumped it out, and brought it back up yet. But I intend to keep trying.

Thanks so much!
Old 01-28-17, 02:04 PM   #606
toothandnail
Swabbie

Default crush depth

Update: I did successfully push both November and Typhoon class subs down below their crush depths (collapse depths?), sustained damaged, repaired and pumped them out, and brought them back to the surface. If the pressure hull cracks relatively shallow (above 300 meters or so), it's not too hard to make the repairs and get back to the surface with these pump limitations. (As long as you do everything perfectly.) If the pressure hull holds out to below 300 meters, you take too much damage too quickly to save the boat.

Conclusion: these pump settings definitely add fun to the game. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothandnail View Post
This is so great!
I have not yet successfully put a sub through crush depth, repaired it and pumped it out, and brought it back up yet. But I intend to keep trying.

Thanks so much!
Old 02-10-17, 08:19 AM   #607
Torrance-Smith
Swabbie

Downloads: 9

Hello,

During torpedo attack on large taskforce, torpedo hits trigger change in diplomacy several times during attack. So taskforce don't fight back efficiently, if at all.

So I have request. Could you remove trigger on torpedo hit, that change diplomacy? Or maybe add option to turn it off?

Sorry for my english.

Cheers.

Last edited by Torrance-Smith; 02-10-17 at 09:06 AM.
Torrance-Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 12:39 AM   #608
ChristopherTarana
中国水兵

Downloads: 190

Very Cool, I was commanding a Japanese 688 sub out of Tokyo and there was a leak in the Fire Suppression system in the forward torped0 room. Took me awhile to fix that one, couple of crew almost asphixiated from lack of air. Next mission the entire crew died from radiation do to a leak somewhere! This software is a keeper!

Christopher Tarana
ChristopherTarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-17, 10:04 PM   #609
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrance-Smith View Post
Hello,

During torpedo attack on large taskforce, torpedo hits trigger change in diplomacy several times during attack. So taskforce don't fight back efficiently, if at all.

So I have request. Could you remove trigger on torpedo hit, that change diplomacy? Or maybe add option to turn it off?

Sorry for my english.

Cheers.
Thanks for pointing out this bug, I'll take a look. Diplomacy changes shouldn't happen that regularly.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-17, 07:17 AM   #610
Torrance-Smith
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeoff View Post
Thanks for pointing out this bug, I'll take a look. Diplomacy changes shouldn't happen that regularly.
Thanks for your answer

Cheers
Torrance-Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 08:46 PM   #611
phd45
Swabbie

This game is amazing. And I want to said good job for that
phd45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-17, 02:35 AM   #612
succerpunch
Torpedoman

Downloads: 292
Icon9

I believe it is dead.
Old 07-17-17, 03:43 PM   #613
idl0r
Swabbie

Downloads: 98

First of all, great game, thanks!
Do you have some original sounds/alarms for USSR boats by chance?
idl0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 10:53 AM   #614
Emetivore
Nub

Downloads: 35
Default Getting fullscreen to work

I'm having trouble getting fullscreen to work. When I change the gameoptions file to fullscreen, it simply removes the border and places the same-size window at the top left of my screen. Any tips?

Win 10, nVidia.

* Figured it out right after posting this ha. R-click exe, properties, compatibility, disable fullscreen optimization.
Emetivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 09:34 AM   #615
Exocet25fr
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 254

Wow !, very great game I discover only now !

Congratulations....

But, it's a pity, because few links about Submarines addons are dead !

I search about:

- Pinto Class
- Ohio Class
- Brisingr Class
- HMS Vanguard

I downloaded the Reverie Class, but it seems don't working with the last update of the game. I solved the problem, it's because files are missing in UI\reverie folder, I copied the UI\Default in UI\reverie and erase them with the reverie's files !