SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-22-10, 10:50 AM   #46
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

I can't remember where the leppard skin problem come from...

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 10:52 AM   #47
iowa101
Commodore

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 0

that look awesome mate congrats on the sub.

very nice model

"A good Navy is not a provocation to war. It is the surest guaranty of peace."
iowa101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 12:04 PM   #48
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa101 View Post
that look awesome mate congrats on the sub.

very nice model
model is from turbosquid bought by Hautpoul so I could make a mod out of it.

keltos

Old 11-22-10, 12:12 PM   #49
iowa101
Commodore

do you remember the carrier that was 2mil verts and polys lol, boy was that a laggy thing to view

i keep playing with my model, to see what i can do and i just found out how to ruins it alot

Old 11-22-10, 06:09 PM   #50
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

Hi Keltos,

Not sure if you've got this already, but here's a link for ya!

http://www.servicehistorique.sga.def.../listebato.php

Loads of plans, including the Surcouf and a few other Sous-marin!

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
MGR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 06:42 PM   #51
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Keltos,

Very pretty sub, just in time for Christmas. I also don't remember what caused that color problem but I have seen it on other ships/boats so someone may remember.

Info I found:
Quote:
Fleeing to Britain in June 1940, she was taken over by the Royal Navy in July (after a fight that left four men dead and two wounded). She remained under British command but operated with a Free French crew. After patrolling the Caribbean for several weeks without incident, the Surcouf was ordered to the Pacific. An American freighter reported colliding with an unidentified submarine on February 18,1942 in the Gulf of Mexico; as the Surcouf was never seen again, it is assumed it was the sub struck. However, one conspiracy theory claims that the French crew had allegiance to the Vichy government and was secretly resupplying U-boats; when the Allies discovered the treachery, they sank the Surcouf. While the collision is likely the truth (and bitterly ironic, as a submarine designed to prey on merchant ships was herself sunk by a freighter), the conspiracy theory has more
adventuring potential. In a truly illuminated campaign, the sinking may have been faked to allow the Surcouf to perform some special mission . . .

The most unusual feature of the Surcouf was the two turreted 8” guns just forward of the conning tower. While they were quite powerful (only the British M1 of 1918, with a single 12” gun, has carried a heavier deck armament for a submarine), the range-finder was set rather low, allowing the guns to reach only 12,000 yards; presumably the plane would be used to spot for the guns at longer ranges. There is some debate as to how much the turret rotated; one opinion is that the 8-inch guns only fired straight ahead in combat; the turret rotated to only one side for maintenance dockside.
Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 09:37 PM   #52
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

I like the colour scheme!

Great ship! +1 for the idea of incorporating it as a "what if" on the US side...
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 09:53 PM   #53
Arael
Planesman

Downloads: 94

Very nice. Very nice indeed. Is there a chance of having it converted to SH3 format?
Arael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 04:06 AM   #54
iowa101
Commodore

Well, colour problem or not. she's a beautiful model none the less.

great work on getting her into game mate.

Old 11-23-10, 04:20 AM   #55
keltos01
Silent Hunter

from the stern, notice the name of the sub to port.

the tower and the gun turret

training turret on target Sir !

I disabled the caustics in the .dat for now, that is till I find where the problem comes from since it's enabled in all my mods.. :-/

the door of the plane hangar is a separate node and maybe it could be animated later...

keltos

Old 11-23-10, 05:20 AM   #56
iowa101
Commodore

would you take a look at my topic keltos, i want to see if you know how to delete the two things stated on it.

And the texture looks alot better mate well done. i love the new look

Old 11-23-10, 06:23 AM   #57
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default color problem

you need to reassign the texture coordinates.
Old 11-23-10, 06:44 AM   #58
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default Surcouf v 1.5

from stern

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Conning tower

I made ao maps for a bunch of stuff : door, director, tower, hull... and basic textures etc..

keltos

from bow

Old 11-23-10, 06:48 AM   #59
iowa101
Commodore

looking good mate, I am also moving on to textures shortly. first im dealing with my models nodes and such.

Old 11-24-10, 02:09 PM   #60
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

I buildt the Surcouf from the Heller kit some 30 years ago and remember the colours to be a much darker green.
However, did some search and came up with this...

Colourscheme 1932 and 1940:

Only pic found from 1938:

At sea in 1941:

From "upgrade" in 1942:

Here's something I came across on the travel:

Special Reports
Surcouf Redux, by Jerry Casius.
[Ed. Note: In Newsletter #8, Bill Moyer reported on French super-submarine Surcouf and the possibility of it participating in Operation Westindie. The Surcouf (or perhaps a large tanker) sank under strange circumstances on February 14, 1942, or two days prior to U-156's attack on Lago. In the following special report, Jerry Casius also weighs-in on the possibilities of the Surcouf's demise.]
(08/26/06): "The sinking of the Surcouf - It seems highly likely that Surcouf was sunk by U-502 (Ed. Note: Our Oranjestad Harbor "friend") under Kapitan Jurgen Rosenstiel. So far, it has been possible to identify only six of the seven ships reported as sunk by U-502 and the unidentified target matches Surcouf - although at the time of the attack it (unidentified vessel) was identified as a tanker. This action happened on February 14, 1942, in Square EC9436. This (location) is about thirty-two (nautical) miles southwest of Aruba and five (nautical) miles north of the lighthouse on Peninsula de Paraguana, Venezuela...Surely it would be a simple matter of going to this position and diving to see what is down on the seabed. It is quite likely that Kptit. von Rosenstiel's tanker of 2500 tons turned out to be the missing submarine.
(08/28/06): "First let me say that this Surcouf research is not mine, but was done years ago by Eddie Rumpf...The following was published in Germania - The German Navy Study Group's newsletter, which has been out of print for some time.
"In February 1942, three U-boats left France (Operation Neuland sic)...U-67 (Kptit. Gunther Muller-Stockheim); U-502 (Jurgen von Rosenstiel); and U-156 (Werner Hartenstein)...[Ed. Note: U-129 (Nicoli Clausen and U-161 (Albrecht Achilles) were also a part of Operation Westindien aka Gruppe Neuland]...The U-boats would not have known that such a huge submarine was in their operation area and at night it would have been easy to confuse such a large submarine with a tanker. Their reports of torpedoed ships are almost perfect, except that the Allies cannot account for one of the ships sunk by von Rosenstiel (emphasis added). Von Rosenstiel claims to have sunk a tanker of about 2400 tons in square EC 9436 on February 14, 1942. This position is 12 degrees 09 minutes North by 10 degrees 21 minutes West. The depth of the water at this location is approximately 50 fathoms (300 feet).
"Von Rosenstiel saw his target burst into flames and sink rapidly - so it is highly unlikely that this was an imaginary sinking. He almost certainly sunk something - but what? The dates and positions fit quite well into the last hours of Surcouf and it shouldn't be too difficult to find the wreck which had been von Rosenstiel's target. The aforementioned position is about 32 nautical miles southwest of Aruba and five nautical miles from the lighthouse of Peninsula de Paraguana."
[Ed. Note: Some mighty interesting speculative information. Anyone for a dive?]

As far as I can tell, nobody has found the Surcouf yet?
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote