SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-09-08, 01:25 PM   #1
Gotmilk
Planesman

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Default Making your own virtual reality submarine station?

Ok. I would really like to play SH4 and feel that i am actually in the submarine. First of all i would put all mods to make subsim as realistic as possible. Now below you see my image. There are numbers. Each number will explain what it is and what it will do.

1 - Headset with microphone. You can use microphone to give basic orders. You must install the voice command mod.

2 - Somekind of a virtual goggles. There are some out there but i dont have any idea wich would suit the best for this game. <-- a big problem. And you can add motion sensor too. So when you move your head left then the ingame camera moves left.

EDIT: Just made a little research. www.trimersion.com should do the trick

3 - Logitech MX Air mouse http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi.../3443&cl=us,en

you can use this mouse for quick commands. Just wave your hand in air and click on the right icon to make quick actions in critical situations.

4 - Somekind of Wii type controller. I dont know what it should be. There are many joysticks out there but it must be light weighter and easy to use only on one hand. With that controller you move around the submarine and on deck. I like tiger maru mod where you can move freely.

Then you could add all bunch of mods to make this game better. ROW and Maru adds so much to the game.

I would gladly hear what you think about this crazy idea. I would really like to set up my workstation and make the subsim as real as i can. Feel free on suggestions. Especially the VR goggles are the biggest problem.

Last edited by Gotmilk; 02-09-08 at 02:12 PM.
Gotmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 07:15 PM   #2
Archie
Medic

Location: The South Pacific, No, Really.... The South Pacific
Downloads: 73

Put on a raincoat, sit in a bathtub filled with ice cold water and get your missus to throw buckets of salty water over your head every two minutes while balancing your keyboard on your knees. Buy a klaxon horn for your car and get the kids to hit the horn when you want to dive promptly ducking your head under the water (tip: keep keyboard above water though).... :rotfl:

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"
President John F. Kennedy,
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 07:55 PM   #3
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I'm all for Realism Gotmilk but...

I think you've taken it waaay beyond a whole nuther level. :rotfl:

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 05:27 AM   #4
castorp345
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 118

i'd highly recommend your taking the tips from this page into account!
==> http://www.bluejacket.com/humor_navy-life.htm
castorp345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 02:26 AM   #5
Gotmilk
Planesman

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL
I'm all for Realism Gotmilk but...

I think you've taken it waaay beyond a whole nuther level. :rotfl:
You may be right but....

There are guys who invest hundreds or even thousands of hours modding and making this game better. There is even one chap who built himself an uboat room. I am not afraid to try something new. I am tired of sitting behind monitor. I want to be in the game. Im just trying to figure out how to built cheapest VR system for this game :hmm:

And throwing bucket of water on my head in every 2 minutes is a great idea but i dont want to hassle my missus with my gaming issues
Gotmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 09:28 AM   #6
DavyJonesFootlocker
The Old Man

Downloads: 138

I just called in the paddywagon for Gotmilk. "Take him away boys!":rotfl:
A proud member of the Wikipedia Haters Club
DavyJonesFootlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 05:29 AM   #7
John W. Hamm
Watch Officer

Downloads: 8
Default Well..

you know at first I thought there was going to be a punch line , but at the end I found you were serious , but you know he first time I found out about the head piece I considered it as well (and I still plan to get some. I game alot but they are just to expensive right now), and of course there are verbal commands some where I think I have seen them (I think):hmm: , actually your idea is great, it would certainly add immersion . I think what throws me off is the drawing:rotfl:
Old 02-10-08, 07:18 AM   #8
Mush Martin
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 4

Enjoy

Tutorial
Mush Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 07:47 AM   #9
Wild_skipper
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mush Martin
Enjoy

That is cool kinda freakcy two

GWX 3.0 gold

Wild_skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 09:55 AM   #10
tomoose
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 23
Default Erm gents?

Head tracking is already available for the PC, it's called TrackIR and it's excellent!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_AO0F5sLdVM

Having said that it's currently only avail for 70+ titles. Not sure how it would apply to a subsim although being able to 'lean' around the bridge tower to 'look' around would be kinda cool.

I do NOT fly IL2 or BOB without it and I've got the 'old' version without 6DOF ($40)! It really improved my dogfighting abilities (I still suck, just not as bad as before as I've got better situational awareness being able to look around without the need for keys or a hatswitch).
tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 11:36 AM   #11
linerkiller
Captain

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmilk
Ok. I would really like to play SH4 and feel that i am actually in the submarine. First of all i would put all mods to make subsim as realistic as possible. Now below you see my image. There are numbers. Each number will explain what it is and what it will do.

1 - Headset with microphone. You can use microphone to give basic orders. You must install the voice command mod.

2 - Somekind of a virtual goggles. There are some out there but i dont have any idea wich would suit the best for this game. <-- a big problem. And you can add motion sensor too. So when you move your head left then the ingame camera moves left.

EDIT: Just made a little research. www.trimersion.com should do the trick

3 - Logitech MX Air mouse http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi.../3443&cl=us,en

you can use this mouse for quick commands. Just wave your hand in air and click on the right icon to make quick actions in critical situations.

4 - Somekind of Wii type controller. I dont know what it should be. There are many joysticks out there but it must be light weighter and easy to use only on one hand. With that controller you move around the submarine and on deck. I like tiger maru mod where you can move freely.

Then you could add all bunch of mods to make this game better. ROW and Maru adds so much to the game.

I would gladly hear what you think about this crazy idea. I would really like to set up my workstation and make the subsim as real as i can. Feel free on suggestions. Especially the VR goggles are the biggest problem.
Do you watch Futurama cartoons?:rotfl:

BTW: it could be useful when we will play SH40

"When we realized that our clubbing and kickings were being administered by the burned, mutilated survivors of our handiwork, we found we could take it with less prejudice." Captain Richard "Dick" O'Kane-USS Tang
http://www.youtube.com/user/willembrock
linerkiller is offline   Reply With Quote