SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-20-16, 12:39 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

bullhorn SUBSIM UBOOT dev team interview

Congratulations Deep Water Studio!

UBOOT has reached its Kickstarter goal, in no time at all!

Also, Subsim has just posted its UBOOT Dev Team Interview, read all about it here and return to this thread for comments and discussion.

It's not the intention to replace Silent Hunter 5 but to offer us something fun and interesting, with areas of U-Boat gameplay other games have not covered. I'm looking forward to getting a chance to play this one.
Old 05-20-16, 02:49 PM   #2
Vince82
Engineer

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0

Thank you for this preview, onkel.

The choice for distance compresion is innovative/risky. Time compression is what everybody was used to for the past decades, it worked well.

I like that 1st person view is included, manual periscope, plotting and torpedo data probably (TDC). Ship recognition manual??, stadimeter??

Aircraft will be dangerous. This means not cruising on the surface at daytime when enemy is expected and recharging at night. So real live tactics are needed.

scripted missions I don't mind that. As long as they are interesting. I did read something about this on the Uboot Campaign page.

I think only modelling the VIIc is a smart decision but covering the war all the way to 1945 is way too ambitious and unnecessary. Why not until black May 1943? Enough time for 15 or more patrols I would say.

UBOOT, pledged

Last edited by Vince82; 05-20-16 at 03:02 PM.
Vince82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 03:14 PM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Hi Vince,

you betcha.

I am going to use my crystal ball to say, from what I have learned, that there really won't be much need for TC. I am guessing that contact will be made more frequently than SH games, and in between engagements, the game will have a lot of crew and boat chores to entertain the player. And I think that will be ok, UBOOT is not trying to be better than SH5, it's trying to provide gameplay that the SH and other subsims did not focus on. And that could be a lot of fun, we will see.
Old 05-21-16, 06:59 AM   #4
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Role play suggestion

It may be too far along in development, but here's my idea anyway. In real life the captain would not micromanage the crew. He has officers for that. The second in command typically deals with crew issues.

I suggest that, like SH series, there are officers that the player can assume control of. He controls one of say, four men aboard, with an AI to handle the other three until he switches.

These could be the exec, engineer, captain, and the German equivalent of chief of the boat. The captain can influence things with orders and queries to the other three, or he can switch to one of them to more directly control an issue.

Just thoughts that could eventually lead to a multi-player coop version with four players per boat.
Old 05-21-16, 07:57 AM   #5
harag
A-ganger

Downloads: 67

Congratulations! You've discovered the Subsim UBOOT Easter Egg!

"I Found the Subsim UBOOT Easter Egg !"

In the post, you must say where you found the Easter Egg and what it is, plus enter this code:

"HAVE A U-BOAT COCKTAIL"

---

OK, I found the easter egg - it was on the Sub Sim Interview page (excellent read by the way - http://www.subsim.com/2016/preview_uboot.php) on the question: "Give me some idea of what a Subsim captain should expect from the enemy AI."

Looking forward to the game, and yes I've backed UBOOT for $100 - Glad to see it's met it's first goal!

All the best

Last edited by harag; 05-21-16 at 08:16 AM.
harag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 10:14 AM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by harag View Post
Congratulations! You've discovered the Subsim UBOOT Easter Egg!

"I Found the Subsim UBOOT Easter Egg !"

In the post, you must say where you found the Easter Egg and what it is, plus enter this code:

"HAVE A U-BOAT COCKTAIL"

---

OK, I found the easter egg - it was on the Sub Sim Interview page (excellent read by the way - http://www.subsim.com/2016/preview_uboot.php) on the question: "Give me some idea of what a Subsim captain should expect from the enemy AI."

Looking forward to the game, and yes I've backed UBOOT for $100 - Glad to see it's met it's first goal!

All the best

All right, you are the kind of skipper who sees that wisp of smoke on the horizon and moves in for the attack--good eyes!

Send me a PM with your shirt size and where you want me to send it, congrats!

Neal

Old 05-21-16, 01:17 PM   #7
harag
A-ganger

Downloads: 67

Wow, that is excellent news, Thanks Neal - PM on way !!!

harag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 06:54 PM   #8
Frank K
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
SHO "I FOUND THE SUBSIM UBOOT EASTER EGG!"

"I FOUND THE SUBSIM UBOOT EASTER EGG!"
Top of page, picture of Easter Eggs.
"HAVE A U-BOAT COCKTAIL"

Glad to be aboard and patiently waiting for this game, also I hope I did not mess up.
Frank K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 12:50 PM   #9
Vince82
Engineer

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
The part I hated most (And actually disabled) from SH3 was the crew management, which the Devs recognized and automated in SH4. So a game mostly centered around this seems risky business, but I'm looking forward to what these guys can do, the presentation so far is no less than impressive.
A lot of sh3 mods are about improving the interior and having more crew. From what I read from the interview 'uboot' crew is automated, but tasks like repairs have to be ordered:

Quote:
How much automation does the crew get? Can the player allow the crew to run the boat, or does he need to manage the duties and direct the crew?
Yes, some basic tasks are performed automatically by your crew. Each crew member has his work assignment that he will do in the first place when his needs are generally met. During the alarm, everyone will go on alert and go to either their work place or, if all slots are occupied already, any other work place on the ship.
They won’t do this optimally though and a good captain will find many ways to optimize the crew assignment to achieve his goals.
Repairs on the other hand is something that always needs to be ordered directly because this uses your spare parts and sometimes you may prefer to leave something broken to save them for more serious failures.
To me it looks like Deep Water Studio is going to put a living and breathing crew on board of our boats with more interaction than ever before. It's more about what kind of a captain you are and the horrors you and the crew are exposed to. An unexperienced crew might break when things get really bad.

My hopes for this game are that the developers will put some realism elements into this game that are missing in other games. Like aircraft suddenly appearing from the clouds and being way more deadly. That way you'll be forced to recharge the batteries at night or stay out of areas where aircraft are to be expected. And when caught cruising on the surface you have to make the right decision: crashdive when you still got some time or take evasive maneuvers and man the flakgun when the plane is too close.
Vince82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 09:52 AM   #10
doctrine
Mate

Downloads: 77

I will keep a close eye on this project, for it seems very promising.

A few things in general:
  • "With our rather modest team, we can’t really compete with Ubisoft in terms of scope [...]"
    From my experience of buying (early access) games from small(er) studios, this is something most small(er) teams tend to forget or underestimate. Resulting in the promise of an AAA-game only to find out they can't achieve the goal after 4 years.
    Knowing your strength / weakness is a great plus!

• "We have abandoned the time compression concept. [...] Instead we have filled these parts with a crew-centric content inside the ship."
    Another point which is spot on IMO. An other game I play is simply boring during travel since there's nothing to do. While the devs and some players say "that's hardcore". Your solution sounds like the best plan.

• "[...] and to some degree also Silent Hunter, but we have wanted to make something completely new and refreshing within the genre. A reset."
    Exactly what I'm looking for!

The best of luck and success with the project
doctrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 08:44 AM   #11
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Great interview. I really like the approach these guys are taking.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 08:17 PM   #12
RustySubmarine
Engineer

Location: Tamworth UK. Presently,somewhere Below The Atlantic
Downloads: 364

It sounds like this is going to be one hell of a subsim game, with a flavour of SH V and actual crew management blended together. This should give the player something to do during days of endless inactivity during the patrols. You have to give credit to the developers, for what they have achieved so far with this game and the graphics of the interior of the boat is almost spot on. I am really looking forward to getting this game as soon as it's released and I am sure that every subsim fan will want to play this game. I play SH III more than the others and still will when Uboot comes out, but it will be nice to have both games installed on my computer.
Thank you Neal for posting the interview with the devs, it was very interesting reading. The reason for my late posting is the fact that I have been in hospital for quite a while and have only just got news of this new game. However I am on the mend and will soon be fit enough to get back aboard my boat again.

I joined the navy to see the world
What did I see?
I saw the SEA!!!!
RustySubmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 09:58 PM   #13
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Frank K!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 12:04 PM   #14
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Frank K
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 05:51 PM   #15
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent