SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-14, 01:14 AM   #1
redpiano
Seaman

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0
Default Relearning TDC all over again with Op Monsun mod.

Hey guys, so I had manual TDC nailed down in SH5 but that game is so unstable and my game crashed months ago and would never start up again so I gave up on it entirely as I lost a very long campaign save because of those problems.

So now I'm playing SH4 with the Operation Monsun mod installed but I can't really do manual TDC at all now, I've never used the AOBF before and I don't really care for it now cause it's rather confusing but I'm willing to learn.

I spent a couple hours looking over the included TDC guide with the Kirub mod? I think it's called? And it's hard to follow because the hud in the guide looks different than mine and he fails to explain a bunch of things that I had to figure out myself and it was just not helpful really.

So I'm going to list a couple questions, but if you have any other advice or you know of any good picture tutorials for the OM tdc I would love to see it.

1. All the dial names are in german, what do they all do? I know the speed and range and nothing else.

2. The AOB is the angle where I'm located from the target's position right?

3. Is there a way to determine range without the AOB finder with OM installed, I know the stadimeter doesn't seem to show range anywhere now.

If the stadimeter worked like it normally does and showed me the range I wouldn't have an issue at all, but it seems like you're forced to use the AOB finder which to me is just more confusing and slow than is necessary, but I guess I don't know if the Stadimeter is realistic or not.
redpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 05:03 AM   #2
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

You have to search a bit more, there are tutorials available for the KiuB. It's defnitely a fine mod and worth it.

It's very easy to find torpedo solution if you leave map contacts enabled. The most important observations are speed and angle on bow. So I simply put a marker over the target every 60 seconds, and measure the distances it travels in a minute. 150 meters are 5 knots, 250m are 8 knots etc. ( 1 knot is 1 nautic_mile/h and or 1.852 kilometer/h, or 30.5m/minute.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knot_%28unit%29 )

I also have the exact course of the target when I connect the dots with a line.

With course and speed established it is easy to use the drawing tools (protractor tool) to make a angle measurement at eg 50 or 60 degrees that lies exactly over the course of the ship, and put the data into the computer at the exact point in time when the ship reaches the base of the angle. When I do that properly I hit every time, except when the torpedoes fail.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 05:34 AM   #3
redpiano
Seaman

Yeah that's how I did it in SH5 with mods but I was able to use the stadimeter instead of map contacts, but yeah I just got done trying it with map contacts and was able to sink a couple ships, it's a fair middle ground.
Old 03-24-14, 09:09 AM   #4
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpiano View Post
Yeah that's how I did it in SH5 with mods but I was able to use the stadimeter instead of map contacts, but yeah I just got done trying it with map contacts and was able to sink a couple ships, it's a fair middle ground.
When considering whether to use map contacts, remember that you should have a plotting party to do the attack plot for you. While the plotting team would never be as accurate or efficient as the map updates function, it is certainly not more historically appropriate to have to do the attack plots all by yourself. (IMO, that is just too game-y. YMMV.)

The KiUB DOES have a stadimeter. Its use (and location) is covered on page 2 of the KiUB User Guide, included in the OMEGU v300 pkg.7z. BTW, the German subs manufactured in-war did not include a stadimeter, so estimating heights by the graticle is more historically correct.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 09:55 AM   #5
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Yes.

And if your problem is not knowing German, simply have a look at screenshots like this, the dials are the same.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 01:35 PM   #6
redpiano
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
When considering whether to use map contacts, remember that you should have a plotting party to do the attack plot for you. While the plotting team would never be as accurate or efficient as the map updates function, it is certainly not more historically appropriate to have to do the attack plots all by yourself. (IMO, that is just too game-y. YMMV.)

The KiUB DOES have a stadimeter. Its use (and location) is covered on page 2 of the KiUB User Guide, included in the OMEGU v300 pkg.7z. BTW, the German subs manufactured in-war did not include a stadimeter, so estimating heights by the graticle is more historically correct.
Yeah I use the stadimeter with the AOBF for height but I just can't get it to work accurately, I tried using it with the map contact updates on and all my estimates were wildly off by you know 500-1000 meters.
Old 03-24-14, 01:38 PM   #7
redpiano
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer View Post

Yes.

And if your problem is not knowing German, simply have a look at screenshots like this, the dials are the same.

What is the bearing dial for, is that the location the torpedo is intended to hit the target?

It seems like there's two sets of gyros? on the UI in Kiub, I don't really know how to use or read these?
Old 03-24-14, 03:12 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I can't give any real advice, being pretty bad at manual targeting myself, but this little AOB tutorial/pictorial is good to have anyway, and might be of some use.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3467
Old 03-24-14, 04:46 PM   #9
CapnDon
Seaman

Downloads: 46

When loading OM into SH4, is that compatible with TMO and RSRD?

Also, does the OM mod permit use of American subs in the Pacific and does the TDC carry over?
CapnDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 06:25 PM   #10
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnDon View Post

Also, does the OM mod permit use of American subs in the Pacific and does the TDC carry over?
No.

No, and no.

TMO and OM are both meagmods, and will rewrite many of the same files. Only the one you activate last will show up. And if the one on top uses any files the other one has changed, the result won't be pretty. RSRDC, AFAIK, only affects traffic in the PTO, not the Indian Ocean. It might work if you go that far East, but I'd expect strange results. Anyone else tried this and know for sure?

Don't know if OM has any AI USN boats. But no player subs. (What would be the point, when you already own SH4?) You mean, is the KiUB available in a USN boat? No USN boats.
Old 03-24-14, 06:37 PM   #11
captgeo
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 105

Quote:

there was at one time a version of TMO RSRDC that could run with OM, I do not use TMO so I can not be certain if it still works

I myself use RFB 1.5 , RSRDC and OM together and I have no problems at all
Old 03-24-14, 06:50 PM   #12
redpiano
Seaman

When does the VIIC come into the the war and how does upgrading work, at the start I think I'm in a IIX-B? or something like that. I don't like the small torpedo reserves, go kill two boats and RTB lol.
Old 03-24-14, 07:39 PM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
As BigWalleye said, they overwrite the same files to different purposes, and don't play well together. I only wanted to mention MultiSH4, a tool that helps you run separate installations of the game, so you can have one with each supermod and still keep one stock if you like.

Quote:
OM is strictly a full-war German campaign, replicating SH3 but with SH4's improvements.
Old 03-24-14, 10:08 PM   #14
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
OM is strictly a full-war German campaign, replicating SH3 but with SH4's improvements.
And IMO without most of SH3's great atmosphere/feel/immersion. But the graphics ARE better!
Old 01-30-18, 07:46 PM   #15
Geoff then
Gunner

Downloads: 63

Please help, that stadimeter is confusing me as hell.
As far as i got, it does not show any range at all??
Can you tell me how the stadimeter works, and how to submit the data?
I wouldn't have any problem to enter the range manually, but since there is not any dial that shows me the range the stadimeter emitts, I'm left with estimating and that is not acceptable at all. And is there any option to let the crew estimate the speed after taking some measurements?
Map contacts are no option for me...
Thank you in advance!

Edit:Forget everything i just wrote above, i just discovered, that KiuB is one of the best things ever put into a video game.

Last edited by Geoff then; 02-07-18 at 08:29 PM.
Geoff then is offline   Reply With Quote