SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-04-16, 05:56 AM   #121
Aquelarrefox
Commander

Downloads: 159
Uploads: 0

what means "darkened ship" exactly?
Old 05-04-16, 07:20 AM   #122
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquelarrefox View Post
hi im very interested of making a spanish version of this mod. Could be posible to get the text of the pages?
Yes, we can do this, but I won't be able to address it until later this month. My school year is wrapping up and it is a bit hectic right now. I will PM you about it in a few weeks.

Quote:
what means "darkened ship" exactly?
Ships running under a neutral banner from one neutral country to another generally traveled well lit. Ships running somewhere that would be deemed sinkable by u-boats ran without any lights, in the hope that they wouldn't be seen. So Germany just assumed they were sinkable when they ran without lights. Ultimately, depending on which mods you run, you have to be somewhat careful in your target choices, especially in the beginning of the war.

Good luck!
rudewarrior is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 11:32 AM   #123
Aquelarrefox
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudewarrior View Post
Yes, we can do this, but I won't be able to address it until later this month. My school year is wrapping up and it is a bit hectic right now. I will PM you about it in a few weeks.

Ships running under a neutral banner from one neutral country to another generally traveled well lit. Ships running somewhere that would be deemed sinkable by u-boats ran without any lights, in the hope that they wouldn't be seen. So Germany just assumed they were sinkable when they ran without lights. Ultimately, depending on which mods you run, you have to be somewhat careful in your target choices, especially in the beginning of the war.

Good luck!
thanks the text were in documentation, but editing images in ps is a problem, how you get transparence.

i was looking and traslating, and i have some cuestion about torpedo setting: 1) whats exactly the port set from aug 39, isnt in text, 2) as you said if you change pistol type is not as tdc data, instantly. How much time could take it (playing as own players rules to simulate extract and reinsetion into the tube). 3)about the warming electric torpedos, in real operation, how time it would take? to emulate in game.

thanks

i found this
Quote:
The standard procedure for heating was as follows:
  1. four electric torpedoes loaded into torpedo tubes are connected with four control boxes ("Schaltbild 1" on Drawing 13) for single heating. The temperature of the battery reaches 30 °C (from starting 15 - 18 °C) after 3.5 - 4 h (the total weight of the electrolyte in the battery is almost 100 kg).
  2. After the current was automatically cut off, torpedoes in the tubes are connected in pairs to two control boxes. Two times less current maintains the battery's temperature at 30 °C. The other two boxes are connected to the four reserve torpedeos stowed in torpedo room ("Schaltbild 2" on Drawing 13). The time to heat reserve torpedo's batteries up to 30 °C is about 20-25 hours.

Last edited by Aquelarrefox; 05-04-16 at 11:51 AM.
Aquelarrefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 10:34 PM   #124
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
thanks the text were in documentation, but editing images in ps is a problem, how you get transparence.
You probably don't want to get too far into this. I have just finished editing all of the files to come out with a new version, 2.1. On the whole, there isn't a lot of very large changes, mainly grammar and really small changes, but you probably don't want to put a lot of work into that until I get finished with everything. Right now the version that is released is somewhat different from the completed version that I have on my computer, and I don't want you to waste time on something that isn't finished right now. In addition, don't worry about trying to do the templates. I did the German translation with another individual, and based on that experience, it is best to have you translate the text and then let me actually edit the template itself. Since I am so familiar with it, editing it works much more smoothly if I do it, since I have it set with layering software, etc.

Quote:
i was looking and traslating, and i have some cuestion about torpedo setting: 1) whats exactly the port set from aug 39, isnt in text
I'm not sure if I understand your question, so I will kind of overanswer it.

When the war started, the Germans did not have a pistol that was switchable between impact and magnetic. They were fitted at the base and could not be changed. A month later, they came out with a pistol that could be switched, but, as Dönitz stated, "The change-over of the pistols was always a task accompanied by much wearisome and often quite impracticable re-loading of torpedoes." Now to cover the other possibility that I see in your question, you may be asking me what the loadout ratio actually was. I never actually came across the ratio of magnetic to impact torpedoes in my research, but I got the impression that they had more magnetic torpedoes than impact as it was newer technology, and they really wanted that to work. So I am guessing it was somewhere around 60/40 to 75/25 magnetic to impact. I hope this answers your questions.

Quote:
2) as you said if you change pistol type is not as tdc data, instantly. How much time could take it (playing as own players rules to simulate extract and reinsetion into the tube).
Other than the Dönitz quote, I never found any sort of time listed on how long it took to actually extract a torpedo, change the pistol (which required removing it, altering it somehow and reattaching it), and reload the torpedo. I just assumed it would take an hour to do the whole thing as a nice round number, since the game has torpedoes load/unload in ~11 minutes or so that would leave ~40 minutes or so to get it done, which seemed reasonable. I don't have anything to base that on other than my own general mechanical experience. As a result, I chose not to offer any suggestions in the mod. I gave the player all the info I had, and I figured they could come to their own conclusions.

Quote:
3)about the warming electric torpedos, in real operation, how time it would take? to emulate in game.
I never saw anything about that either. I am curious about your source though. I am always interested in any sources that could shed light on the scope of my mod.

Your quote gives me the impression that the temperature of the torpedoes could be maintained. However, I do know that the electric torpedoes had lots of regular maintenance that had to be performed on a daily basis, so I suspect the temperature couldn't be maintained while the torpedoes were being serviced. However, I do suspect that when they went into a combat situation, all servicing would be reduced and/or halted. And since temps could be maintained (at least from what I have gathered in your quote) my best guess is that there would be no need to actually simulate it in the game since the times don't really seem to be incompatible with the amount of time I usually use to position before attack.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-05-16, 02:44 AM   #125
Aquelarrefox
Commander

Quote:
You probably don't want to get too far into this. I have just finished editing all of the files to come out with a new version, 2.1. On the whole, there isn't a lot of very large changes, mainly grammar and really small changes, but you probably don't want to put a lot of work into that until I get finished with everything. Right now the version that is released is somewhat different from the completed version that I have on my computer, and I don't want you to waste time on something that isn't finished right now. In addition, don't worry about trying to do the templates. I did the German translation with another individual, and based on that experience, it is best to have you translate the text and then let me actually edit the template itself. Since I am so familiar with it, editing it works much more smoothly if I do it, since I have it set with layering software, etc.

I'm not sure if I understand your question, so I will kind of overanswer it.

When the war started, the Germans did not have a pistol that was switchable between impact and magnetic. They were fitted at the base and could not be changed. A month later, they came out with a pistol that could be switched, but, as Dönitz stated, "The change-over of the pistols was always a task accompanied by much wearisome and often quite impracticable re-loading of torpedoes." Now to cover the other possibility that I see in your question, you may be asking me what the loadout ratio actually was. I never actually came across the ratio of magnetic to impact torpedoes in my research, but I got the impression that they had more magnetic torpedoes than impact as it was newer technology, and they really wanted that to work. So I am guessing it was somewhere around 60/40 to 75/25 magnetic to impact. I hope this answers your questions.

Other than the Dönitz quote, I never found any sort of time listed on how long it took to actually extract a torpedo, change the pistol (which required removing it, altering it somehow and reattaching it), and reload the torpedo. I just assumed it would take an hour to do the whole thing as a nice round number, since the game has torpedoes load/unload in ~11 minutes or so that would leave ~40 minutes or so to get it done, which seemed reasonable. I don't have anything to base that on other than my own general mechanical experience. As a result, I chose not to offer any suggestions in the mod. I gave the player all the info I had, and I figured they could come to their own conclusions.

I never saw anything about that either. I am curious about your source though. I am always interested in any sources that could shed light on the scope of my mod.

Your quote gives me the impression that the temperature of the torpedoes could be maintained. However, I do know that the electric torpedoes had lots of regular maintenance that had to be performed on a daily basis, so I suspect the temperature couldn't be maintained while the torpedoes were being serviced. However, I do suspect that when they went into a combat situation, all servicing would be reduced and/or halted. And since temps could be maintained (at least from what I have gathered in your quote) my best guess is that there would be no need to actually simulate it in the game since the times don't really seem to be incompatible with the amount of time I usually use to position before attack.

Hope this helps!
I have traslate manly all, I have to work in ai to get templates. But I can wait a little until you get new to add new things.

About electric torpedo, well, there's an article about launch tubes quick spoke about that, later I will try to find it. I think, the recommendation would be set no less than 2 sailors in tubes room every time if you have electric torpedoes, else one sailor. If you don't have an anyone for a time, wait almost 1 hour to shoot when you put they into the room again. Maybe a rule fit having almost 4 sailors into room to shoot. I think less than 4 couldn't be possible shoot it.

I fiend little references about time.yt? It Said, a torpedo with maintenance, would need from 10 to 15 minutes. So a pistol change could take about 25 to 35 minutes, I think because it shouldn't be much complex than extract, change and pull into again. What you think?

Last edited by Aquelarrefox; 05-05-16 at 04:58 AM.
Old 05-05-16, 12:28 PM   #126
mikey117us
Engineer

Downloads: 162

I will add that from u-boat KTBs during the first 10 days of transit the U-boat would during a dive to A -30 ( 30 meters ) withdraw and "Level" torpedos ( for accurate Depth keeping of torpedos ) charge the batteries, degaussing with vasaline and Self-ventilate after charging for 15 minutes. This ventilation occurred in the tubes only. Also leaving for patrol Tube 1 was empty, tubes 2-4 were stored torpedos "not ready. 3 were stored Port. 3 starboard. 2 under the floor. And one air torpedo to be "quick readied" for opportunities for tube 1. Later I will post a link to some documents. For certain procedures. But like I said reading KTBs is very helpful as Kaluens wrote usually dived to A-30, Torpedo Maintenance. Das Boot accurately showed part of this procedure. At least tube 3 in this scene was a TI as they inserted Boat Air Supply.
mikey117us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-16, 01:25 PM   #127
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
I fiend little references about time.yt? It Said, a torpedo with maintenance, would need from 10 to 15 minutes. So a pistol change could take about 25 to 35 minutes, I think because it shouldn't be much complex than extract, change and pull into again. What you think?
That was my thinking as well. I would think that removing/replacing the pistol would be a series of bolts and replacing a gasket, based on my own experience working on motorcycle engines. Then the pistol would have to be modified. I would guess that you would want to build a piece of equipment for combat deployment that can be switched with minimal training and necessary equipment, since it would be happening in the field. This is just my own opinion based on how things like this were done in my own, albeit 90's era, military experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey117us View Post
I will add that from u-boat KTBs during the first 10 days of transit the U-boat would during a dive to A -30 ( 30 meters ) withdraw and "Level" torpedos ( for accurate Depth keeping of torpedos ) charge the batteries, degaussing with vasaline and Self-ventilate after charging for 15 minutes. This ventilation occurred in the tubes only. Also leaving for patrol Tube 1 was empty, tubes 2-4 were stored torpedos "not ready. 3 were stored Port. 3 starboard. 2 under the floor. And one air torpedo to be "quick readied" for opportunities for tube 1. Later I will post a link to some documents. For certain procedures. But like I said reading KTBs is very helpful as Kaluens wrote usually dived to A-30, Torpedo Maintenance. Das Boot accurately showed part of this procedure. At least tube 3 in this scene was a TI as they inserted Boat Air Supply.
Yes, the KTBs are an excellent source of info. I used them for reference.

In addition to what you mention there were a host of other maintenance tasks to be performed for the boats, e.g. they had to dive every 24 hours and "trim" (level) the boat by transferring fluids fore and aft. The vast majority of this stuff is beyond the scope of this mod. I tried to put as much info into the players hands as possible such that they can make their own decisions on what to impose on themselves. Every person plays their own way, and I tried to give players as much freedom to implement stuff from the mod as they wish.So, when I made the mod, if I could find a way to effect the game, then I put it in the mod. If I couldn't, I gave the player the tools and info to make their own semi-informed decision.

For me personally, I can't see myself implementing anything from this dive info into my gameplay as it would require me to dive for a period of time that ultimately would be a guess and...that's it. Considering we can compress time and distance is a mess because we use a cartesian map instead of a globe, I feel ok with not diving for a period of time every 24 hours without sacrificing any "realism" and/or opening a wormhole in the space-time continuum.
Old 05-05-16, 04:15 PM   #128
mikey117us
Engineer

Downloads: 162

Here are some Essential Links to anyone interested.
No.1: The Diving Regulations: ( Translated Into English ) Including Dockside Tests, Trimming and Regulating The Boat, Proper Commands, Etc.
http://www.uboatarchive.net/Diving/D...egulations.htm
in German:http://www.uboatarchive.net/Diving/D...ionsGerman.htm

No.2: U Bootskunde für U Boote Bauart VII C, Stand vom 15.07.40, M.Dv. 371, 181 ( U-boat Information for U-boat Type VII C, Effective 15.07.40, Navy Off. Inst. 371, 181 ) All Essential Information on the Type VIIC not available in Wikipedia, or many places elsewhere other than U-boat Archive.
http://www.uboatarchive.net/Manual/Manual.htm
mikey117us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-16, 09:15 PM   #129
Aquelarrefox
Commander

the link

http://www.ubootwaffe.pl/en/u-boats/...german-u-boats

i think the pistol were removed by other as i read the mecanism is totaly diferent, i didnt read explicit, but i undestand the pistol are phisicaly diferent and a change means remove and insert.

if you have new version of text please send me it, you can send a mp, thanks for great work.

i was traying to use the "change pistol rule" (to change pistol, 15 min, no silent run, once a time) (in type ii configuered with 2 impact one magnetic) and the game changes so you are more conditionated, for exampe (using hsie fixes) is close to imposible break a destroyer as a hunter or letter type with impact, then you hav only one shoot. this really get the game more interesant, and using 2 men fix in torpedo with fatigue gets them down drasticaly, more rotation. Incredible, i love this ****-metal-can,

addition, once open the tube i think its imposible to change the pistol. What happens with the water into tubes once the fish was launched. There was a extraction system? curiosity.

RUDE: how you get and empty torpedo slot (as you said in your mod for vii) when you are sailing from bases?

There was ealy recomended torpedo configurations for torpedos and tubes? like you added at middle 43, would be a good adittion for next version.

Last edited by Aquelarrefox; 05-09-16 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-15-16, 12:49 AM   #130
Aquelarrefox
Commander

a change of plans, i have changed from gwx to nygm for several reasons. aniway i use magui and caws.

Theres no traduction to nygm, so i will merge JFO to my version of casw in english.

later mybe i can use the text i traslated in a spanish version.
Any way mybe if you are thinking in a newer version you can think about this way to build images.
I will aplly a 4 fold pages joined tga, and i will apply an pop on screen as i made with speeds tables in my version of caws. posible i will rebuild the manu file becose i have an error mesage on loading but it works.

when i have an example i will show you. all info will be showed in single tga, lees files, better to use sh3 commander.
Old 04-12-17, 12:20 PM   #131
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Hi Everyone,

I have released a new version of the mod, v2.1. It is in the download section, and there is a link to it placed at the bottom of the first post. If you wish to upgrade from v2.0->v2.1, please follow the instructions in Section 4.3 of the ReadMe. From there it should work just the same.

With that, I believe the mod is finished. Regretfully, I may be finished with SH3 as well. I have a new computer and it seem to be almost too good to run SH3. I use Steam, and I can get it to run with my mod soup, but it crashes almost immediately. In addition, I can't seem to get the Steam version to run with SH3 Commander.

I have a new child, and he is taking up most of my time. Trying to get SH3 to run on my computer seems like it would be a project in itself that I just don't have time for. So I will probably be playing games that I enjoy that are much easier to maintain, because of the time constraints involved.

Finally, if one of the powers that be could update the title of the thread to say v2.1, that would be great!

Good luck to you all!

P.S. I will check back here and there to make sure there are no issues with the mod, and also if someone has implemented a simple Steam solution that works for me, I will hang around. If that all works and I can keep the game from crashing, we'll see how it goes. Peace.

Old 04-12-17, 12:48 PM   #132
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I have released a new version of the mod, v2.1. It is in the download section, and there is a link to it placed at the bottom of the first post. If you wish to upgrade from v2.0->v2.1, please follow the instructions in Section 4.3 of the ReadMe. From there it should work just the same.

With that, I believe the mod is finished.
Perfect. I never tried this mod but always wanted to. So, that's a good opportunity to start ! ...
Old 04-12-17, 02:37 PM   #133
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

With that, I believe the mod is finished. Regretfully, I may be finished with SH3 as well. I have a new computer and it seem to be almost too good to run SH3. I use Steam, and I can get it to run with my mod soup, but it crashes almost immediately. In addition, I can't seem to get the Steam version to run with SH3 Commander.

I have a new child, and he is taking up most of my time. Trying to get SH3 to run on my computer seems like it would be a project in itself that I just don't have time for. So I will probably be playing games that I enjoy that are much easier to maintain, because of the time constraints involved.

Finally, if one of the powers that be could update the title of the thread to say v2.1, that would be great!

Good luck to you all!

P.S. I will check back here and there to make sure there are no issues with the mod, and also if someone has implemented a simple Steam solution that works for me, I will hang around. If that all works and I can keep the game from crashing, we'll see how it goes. Peace.

@rude

Perhaps checkout Blitkriegs thread regarding steam installs here;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=218598

Really hope this helps, we all owe you much. Hope all goes well, if not, thankyou for your contributions

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Congrats on the birth of the youngun
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-17, 08:46 AM   #134
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2Niner View Post
@rude

Perhaps checkout Blitkriegs thread regarding steam installs here;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=218598
Thanx for the advice.

Actually BK and I have been in semi-direct contact lately. I will probably look at this sometime, but our baby (We call him The Overlord) is a bit time consuming lately.
Old 04-13-17, 01:05 PM   #135
La vache
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 193

Thanks rudewarrior for v2.1

It would be a shame if they could not have more SH3. A great idea donor would be missing.