SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-10-13, 04:30 PM   #76
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

Released: The “Just Follow Orders!” Mod v2.0

See the first post for additional info.

Download here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin View Post
Has anyone got this working with MaGui 3.4 Widescreen?

If so, what "positions" of the templates etc do I need to use?

Thanks

Vermin
I don't know what the positions are. However, what I would do is create a "bare bones" version of an install of SH3 with just the MaGui mod enabled to minimize load times. Then I would start screwing around with the positions, should make life a little easier.
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 05:13 PM   #77
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3208
Uploads: 0

Downloading now...

I will install the mod in my SH3 GWX with WS MaGUI 3.4. Feedback soon...

Many thanks for the great work. It seems a must have!

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 06:30 AM   #78
Vermin
Helmsman

Downloads: 39

I look forward greatly to your results!

Regards

Vermin
Vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13, 01:45 AM   #79
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Great to hear about a version 2.0 The ability to receive new orders mid-patrol via saving adds to the excitement and is especially important for those people who play with type IX's and can be at sea for months. A German version is something I want to try too.
Old 02-17-13, 04:41 AM   #80
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

Outstanding.

I really enjoyed my first patrol running version 1 of JFO, and have been holding off starting my second patrol because I knew version 2 was imminent.

Well - I know what I'm going to be doing today

Thanks Rudewarrior

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 08:54 AM   #81
Vermin
Helmsman

Getting there:

Zones and Antar templates show up.

What screen/station should I find the convoy tactics and prize rules etc information on?

Are they all dragable items on the on the navigation map?

Thanks

Vermin
Old 02-21-13, 09:54 AM   #82
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Getting there:

Zones and Antar templates show up.

What screen/station should I find the convoy tactics and prize rules etc information on?

Are they all dragable items on the on the navigation map?

Thanks

Vermin
I put them all on the navigation map. I guess it could make sense to put them in different places, but it works better for me to just have them all in one place.
Old 02-22-13, 05:31 AM   #83
Vermin
Helmsman

Thanks!
That means I've hidden them under something. I will try playing with positions.

BTW when using the nav map at night, some of the colours and grey shades are pretty close to each other.

It may just be my monitor settings but could the colour and grey distinctions be differnetiated a bit more (no idea whether this is feasible).

Otherwise this is looking outstanding!

Gracias!
Old 02-22-13, 06:15 AM   #84
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default At last!

Brilliant idea and work. SH3 lives on...and on...and on...

Clever implimentation, sir.
Old 02-22-13, 09:20 AM   #85
Vermin
Helmsman

Well I just can't get anything other than the antar and zones templates to show up.

I checked correct location and id of crp for save file and ShIII folder "containing data folder" and this part worked fine - or said it did!

I set the coordinates of all the other orders and convoy instructions etc in the menu file to be the same as for the antar template so they would be in the same position even if on top of each other. Still no show

I'm guessing, that the issue is not the menu file (otherwise no antar and no zones template) but that the other files are not where they should be.

I'm also guessing that the only reason the executable is pointed at the crp file is to get a date.

Which implies that the path in which it copies the updated standing orders etc to is where the issue is.

I set it to my shiii folder because that is where my data folder is. Is there another folder containing a data folder somewhere else?

For some strange reason I now have another data folder in my menu folder. This data folder contains two folders as "Damage" and "ofAces" plus some files. I say strange because i never notice this second data folder before.
any help appreciated - my remaining grey hairs are running out fast!
Old 02-22-13, 10:55 AM   #86
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
That means I've hidden them under something. I will try playing with positions.

BTW when using the nav map at night, some of the colours and grey shades are pretty close to each other.
I chose the color scheme based on the idea that it should stand out enough during day viewing, without it being blinding during night viewing. The problem is, if I start making the colors too bright, then if you are playing in low light your home, they start to become blinding.

Try to rely on the borders and the dates/messages to fully understand what is happening. I also tried to use authentic color schemes based on my references. Plus, if I start to make the shading too dark, then you can't see through the regions to properly see positioning. There is a logical progression to how they rolled out the regions, try using that progression to help you understand what is going on.

Ultimately, you can edit them any way that you want. Just use GIMP or any other layering program to edit. It's not particularly difficult.

Quote:
Well I just can't get anything other than the antar and zones templates to show up.

I checked correct location and id of crp for save file and ShIII folder "containing data folder" and this part worked fine - or said it did!

I set the coordinates of all the other orders and convoy instructions etc in the menu file to be the same as for the antar template so they would be in the same position even if on top of each other. Still no show

I'm guessing, that the issue is not the menu file (otherwise no antar and no zones template) but that the other files are not where they should be.

I'm also guessing that the only reason the executable is pointed at the crp file is to get a date.

Which implies that the path in which it copies the updated standing orders etc to is where the issue is.

I set it to my shiii folder because that is where my data folder is. Is there another folder containing a data folder somewhere else?

For some strange reason I now have another data folder in my menu folder. This data folder contains two folders as "Damage" and "ofAces" plus some files. I say strange because i never notice this second data folder before.
any help appreciated - my remaining grey hairs are running out fast!
Ok, so I'm not a programmer, I am a scientist. But one principle remains the same. Take a bare bones SH3 install and try to get a single orders template to appear on the screen where you want it. Then try to get all four orders templates to appear on the screen. When doing this I would go into JFO! Mod and copy over some random templates to work with. This way when I try to update, I can see if the update is working. Then move everything you've done to the full install.

One rule that I know is the same in both natural sciences and computer sciences:

In general, the best way to solve a problem is to start thinking from the ground up, rather than trying to fix everything that is going wrong right where you are. Starting from the bottom makes sure you are fixing it by building anew as opposed to retrofitting and repairing, because then you are more likely to implement a "fix" that messes something else up. Try to carefully think out the order in which you need to fix each distinct problem. It will take more time, but be much easier in the long run.

Now based on what you are saying, there are several things that can be going wrong here. If they are not appearing at all, that most likely means one of two things. Either you have set the coordinates such that they are completely off the page, or you have the menu calling the files from someplace that they are not.

One thing to understand is that the coordinates for the Antar template and the orders template will be different. By how much exactly, I don't know, but I do know that the dimensions of the two objects are different. As a result the starting coordinates for their positions are going to be different. Instead of trying to make just a small part of the orders template appear, try and make it show up such that 1/4 or 1/2 of the template starts out on the screen. Then you can see it and start tinkering with the numbers to see how they work.

The executable sends the files directly to the data/menu/OLC folder. If you do not have your menu.ini entry set to call from that folder, then they will not appear no matter what you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond6751 View Post
Brilliant idea and work. SH3 lives on...and on...and on...

Clever implimentation, sir.
Thanx for the compliments! Thanx for all the support, everyone!
Old 02-23-13, 02:56 AM   #87
Vermin
Helmsman

Success!

I had indeed set the coordinates such that the "missing" pages were entirely off screen.

Thankyou for your patience and assistance. Now I can really enjoy this mod!

Not only is it pretty - it adds a whole new depth to SHIII.

Thanks again!

Vermin
Old 02-23-13, 03:01 AM   #88
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Success!
Old 03-01-13, 08:57 AM   #89
veers74
Nub

Downloads: 72

Hello Kaleuns.

Thank you for this great mod.

My englisch is bad but i have a question.
I want to use the JFO Mod with Rubinis WS GUI.

Can anyone tell me the changings for the menu_1024_768.ini (Rubini WS)?

Thank you and regards

Last edited by veers74; 03-01-13 at 12:57 PM.
veers74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-13, 02:20 PM   #90
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 26

It's taken me a while to get around to trying this mod, but what an awesome addition! A little bit of messing around with x/y values, but well explained in the Readme and the mod itself really adds to the realism.

Thank you rudewarrior

All my mods are available at MediaFire:
SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Wreford-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote