SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-18, 05:27 AM   #1
Decoman
Frogman

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0
Default Will a revisit to SH5 be rewarding?

I remember playing SH5 years ago, but didn't like seeing how bad the game mechanics were, having had high hopes that after SH3 & SH4, that SH5 would be a solid improvement when it came to the game mechanics.

Sadly, I've forgotten most of the old issues, but I KNOW there were plenty (even with mods after launch of SH5).

I would like some feedback on the following questions if possible:

1) With the existing mods, can I expect the AI crew to both properly spot and properly engage hostile or enemy aircraft by their own?

2) With the existing mods, can I expect the AI sonar crew to properly detect and report contacts, both when submerged and while on surface? (Presumably, the sonar can be used to some extent while on surface, or correct me if I am wrong.)

3) Do AI properly detect the player submarine, and do they react properly?

4) Are there aspects to SH5 that are game breaking, or aren't working properly, because those things aren't/couldn't be fixed by modding? One small example of something that couldn't be changed, but heh not exactly game breaking: I remember running into a blocker trying to mod the look of the torpedo graphics for the torp loadout screen as I remember, was how the alpha channel for torpedoes was hard coded, which made it impossible to use two different masks when adding custom rendered images for electric and "regular" torpedoes (because the rear part simply looks different).

5) Have modders somehow managed to add new features to SH5?

6) Are there unrealistic or "unbalanced" issues to the gameplay that moddern's can't fix?

7) Is the crew skill system working ok? (or does the crew become "overpowered" over time?)

I still remember playing the very first hour of SH3, and thought the gameplay and the experience was awesome, until the awareness of all the shortcomings came about ofc.

Last edited by Decoman; 07-10-18 at 05:51 AM.
Decoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-18, 05:49 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi D
Forget the past, look to the future and no better way than to play the ultimate Silent Hunter 5 game The Wolves of Steel (TWoS) mega mod.
Over 100 mods, easy installation, full instructions, 100% ctd free, fully working Enigma machine option to decode your orders, and much more.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703
Check out my tutorials for more SH5 options.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-18, 10:24 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

Decoman! AFTER AN 8 YEAR SILENT RUN!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-18, 11:28 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I echo here that TWoS is a must-have to play according to what you want. With some savant modding you can also play the stock game 1.2.0, but you lose a lot of features, instead the gameplay will be much easier (ask here if interested).

It's 'Yes' to almost all your points, but...

1) You need to send crew to their stations first, the procedure is somewhat complex for the deck gun, but still the answer is: yes.

2) Yes, and even the enemy is capable to detect you with sonar if you are on the surface, if he is close.

3) yes; exception: in rare cases an enemy unit will always follow you without attacking, this is a bug and impossible to fix AFAIK. You must save/reload.

4) No, not anymore with TWoS, except maybe destroying the leader of a convoy that may lead to CTD in certain conditions or ships burning or exploding in ports as a result of spawning in too shallow waters, but all this is RARE. The first one has been mostly solved by re-writing the convoys, the second one is unfixable AFAIK without removing port ships completly.

5) Yes, see the TWoS main thread > changelog (click on Spoiler).
The main changes are a) the campaign roaming, All traffic is date-controlled. Included is Open Horizons II which expands the campaign with a lot of content. b) NewUIs from TheDarkWraith (7.5.0 if I'm not wrong) which will enhance sub interiors and instrument/map handling with realistic tools + 'Real Navigation' adding best possible realism + 'Automation' features from Trevally like autopilot through chanels and ports, and scripts for evasions/attack.
With all these changes SH5 doesn't look like the stock game anymore...and easily beats SH3/SH4, but the learning curve is HIGH.

6) It's fair to say that there will *always* be unfixed things, that's not only a trait of SH5...Also read 4)

7) There is little to Crew Skill or crew managment compared to SH3 or SH4, but yes, you get points to distribute skills to your crew if you succeed with missions.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-10-18 at 12:08 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote