SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-07-18, 10:35 AM   #1
Jackdaw
Watch

Downloads: 214
Uploads: 8
Support [REQUEST] Depth Charge Shake for SH4?

Moin comrades!

In SH4 I'm really missing a special effect which already existed in the mother of all subsims AOD and, so far I remember, in Silent Hunter (1 [Commander]) too. It is meant that near and nearing DC's will shake the screen in connection with the adequate sound. The situation at the moment is comparatively less thrillingly, isn't it? I think it would be a violent improvement when some more "activity" will capture the screen if outside is action. If this was possible in the old sims why not now?

For SH III there was this mod: Depthcharge Shake v2.01

1. In the SHIII download area I cannot find it. There you will find only this:

- http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4301

which refers to the mod just written.

2. DC Shake v2.01 seemed to be not compatible with SH4v1.5 UBM with GFO.

3. I have this mod and can provide it as base for instance.

This is the readme content of the mod:

"modded by Nvdrifter, aka Zen Master Caine
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The goal of this mod is to 'hopefully' make SH3 more realistic, challenging, and fun.

-added my own custom depth charge interior sound effects. Now when the interior camera shakes from depth charges, there will be a rattling. hull groaning sound. The closer the depth charge explosion, the louder the rattling sound. Also, when depth charges explode really close to the U-boat, there will be crew screaming and heavy breathing. I came up with this idea from when I used to mod SH4 a while back. Recently I was watching the movie Das Boot , and it inspired me to figure out a way to implement this effect. Hopefully it will add to the immersion, atmosphere, and terror of being depth charged. Have fun.

-added my Depth Charge Shake mod. Here is from the original mod readme file:

************Hello fellow SH3 players. Has it ever bothered you that when you are are being depth charged or bombed in SH3, the close falling charges or bombs never seem to shake your U-boat? Well, it has always bothered me. That gentle rocking back and forth when being blasted with depth charges just doesn't convince me of the immense danger outside of my iron tube. This mod was released to deal with that missing feature. With Depth Charge Shake v1.03, your U-boat will shake from nearby exploding depth charges... I mean REALLY shake. If the charge or bomb explodes fairly close to your U-boat, it will shake violently. This does not automatically mean that your U-boat is taking damage, but there is a good chance that it is.Farther away depth charges may only slightly shake the U-boat or not at all. I feel this mod realistically models nearby explosion shock waves striking the U-boat and extreme compartment vibrations/ shaking .

Hopefully now you feel like your U-boat is taking damage, and the big question... "How much longer can she hold together?". I hope Depth Charge Shake v1.04 will immerse you even more into SH3. Turn up your speaker volume and hold onto something tight!

**Known issues**

When taking cannon fire on the surface, the U-boat will violently shake, as if being severely depth charged. Sorry, but this is an unavoidable hard-coded side-effect that I cannot change. Also, if trying to repair on the sea bed floor, the U-boat may eventually take collision damage- even when not moving. This happens especially when your boat has heavy flooding. When this happens, the screen will sometimes shake. Not violently, but it will shake. This is also unavoidable. In rougher seas when cruising on the surface, the U-boat may shake and vibrate slightly sometimes due to large waves hitting the U-boat's hull. I feel that this is somewhat realistic, so hopefully it's not really an issue.**************

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks to the following playtesters for all their help, feedback and support:

Rango
The Bad Wolf
Samwolf
anzacmick
Philipp_Thomsen
Uber Gruber

And of course thanks to all members on the Subsim message board for your ideas and comments.

One final note. I have finally decided to move on in life, so I will be permanently retiring from modding SH3. Sadly this will be the final version of LRT. But thanks everyone for using LRT these past few years!

-Nvdrifter"

That means a new guy, what I'm looking for, is needed for the job whether or not the mod can be reworked for SH 4. I think I wouldn't be the only delighted single one if a modder could be found!

If I should provide the SHIII mod please send me a PM with a valid Mail-Adress. The mod is small and I will send it at once.

Thanks for reading!
Jackdaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 12:49 PM   #2
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1783
Uploads: 0

Travellers mods for TMO have a depth charge shake.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-18, 03:59 AM   #3
Jackdaw
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
Travellers mods for TMO have a depth charge shake.
@JO313: THX ! But;

to contemplable is "Traveller Mod v2.6 Final for TMO 2.5". There as extra is optional included "Traveller Mod 2.6 No DC Camera Shake". The DC Shake itself came with "Traveller Mod 2.3". No chance of download neither in the new nor in the old download area.

A intensive search brought this:
- http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108074

but links from File Front & Co are continuous dead. For the rest is to ascertain that the use of the DC Shake might be a question of taste. Therefore I'm looking for (a) the single mod. A complete Super Mod only to catch the "Shake" is too much of the good.
Old 06-09-18, 06:36 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Traveller's Mod Final

I'm not certain you'll find it in any other form.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-18, 05:04 AM   #5
Jackdaw
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Traveller's Mod Final

I'm not certain you'll find it in any other form.

@propbeanie, Hi!
You can be c e r t a i n and that is the absolute incomprehensible problem! If you only have the content of the link above (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108074) you will see that there was done a lot of work on the DC-Shake-Mod theme. Different mods have been released; I'm close to "tennis-finger" 'cause so many useless because dead download links I've opended. What eludes me completely is that obviously no version here on subsim was stored?!

Furthermore (at least in this case) I cannot extract the DC-Shake from a great mod and I'm not interested to installate two large mods only to get this feature; quite apart from the question whereto the inflating of already as supermods existing mods shall lead at last?

So I'll hope that perhaps anybody, who has the "SH4 v1.3 Depth Charge Shake v1.02" will read this words and can deliver it to me. I suppose that it will be compatible to SH4v1.5; if not I meanwhile have the informations to tinker myself a little.

Schönen Sonntag! (Somewhere I've read about your High School "German-torture..."