SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-18, 09:24 PM   #1
TiberiusoftheSea
Swabbie

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default CTD Everytime in AN54

Greetings SUBSIM community!

Long time lurker here finally surfacing his boat to seek some much needed advice from his fellow kaleuns. I'm running a legit copy of SH3 (non-steam) with GWX 3.0 and SH3 Commander on Windows 7. I have a handful of mods installed and seem to have a solid setup going.

Although I've been playing (and modding) SH3 for many, many years, I've never played it "long term" however. I have some time on my hands at the moment and finally have a decent PC so decided to do it right.

I set myself up in the 7th/13th and ended my first patrol after a few minutes. I managed to jump ahead to August 31st (using SH3 Commander's days in base option and purchasing the hydrophone upgrade) and set myself grid location AN54 to pre-empt September 3rd with the idea of attacking Hartlepool.

When all things were said and done, I'd sunk eight ships for a total of 20,000 c. tons (with random tonnage enabled.) As I set a course out of the harbor, I made a save. As I headed ENE towards Blyth, I experienced a CTD. Looking at the crash report, the application to blame is 'Sound.act'.

I've tried to research what may cause this, however there doesn't appear to be any direct info. I'm assuming it's a sound file causing the crash, though which and why is a mystery. I tried disabling my mods (mid-patrol... I know) but the game would CTD when loading my saved career. I tried leaving Hartlepool in other directions, however the game would CTD every time.

Now, I noted that when I wasn't running TC I would get the Radio Message bug where I was being told that my home base had changed - this is, I'm assuming, due to the fact I ignored all the instructions when starting with the 7th flotilla. Unable to fix the bug nor leave Hartlepool, I uninstalled everything, cleaned up my PC, re-installed to my SSD and proceeded to start afresh.

This time, I started with the 2nd flotilla and conducted an eight day patrol before returning to base. Everything was going really well so I decided to set myself grid square AN54 again to carry on where I left off last time. I saved just as I entered the grid and set a small search course around the square. The date was September 2nd so I knew by the time my course had finished, I was free to move on Hartlepool

Or so I thought...

As I proceeded ENE I got another CTD! Again in roughly the same place! I tried loading my game several times and each time the game CTD in the same place. I took a screenshot but haven't figured the best way of attaching to this post just yet. It's roughly over a dark (so I'm assuming deep) spot on the map this time and was random on my previous career.

Has anyone ever come across anything like this before? I'd really like to be able to play this awesome game however at the moment it's impossible. Any thoughts, tips or advice are welcome.

Things I've tried:
- Running with no extra TC,
- Running with sounds off in the menu,
- Running on the surface/underwater,
- Trying to move in different directions at different speeds,
Etc , etc.

If push comes to shove, I'll reload my game before I set out on this patrol and opt for a different grid square however I'm very keen to know what may be causing my CTD. I managed to get into Hartlepool on my first career but couldn't get out. This time around I can barely move into the grid square!

Thanks for reading,

~ TiberiusoftheSea ~

PS: Is there a way of changing our usernames? I setup this account years ago when mods were "free to download" after getting locked out of my previous account. I'm interested in becoming a donor and would rather do it under my gaming ID - not this - but also realize multiple accounts are against the rules.
TiberiusoftheSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-18, 11:36 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

TiberiusoftheSea!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 07:17 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > TiberiusoftheSea
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3-4-5 Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below

What is your game installation path?
You do not want to install your game in the Program files x86 directory as it has restrictions which can cause problems.
Run all you applications as administrators as well.
Please post your mod list.
Post #9 JSGME How To Export Your Mod List To A Subsim Post

Last edited by THEBERBSTER; 05-02-18 at 04:55 AM.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 08:44 AM   #4
David I
Ensign

Downloads: 360
Default Saving the Game Basics

Well I don't know if this helps, but one of the basics of saving the game is not to do that within 50km of land. If you saved as you left the harbor and you were within 50km your inviting a crash.

The other basics are not saving while in sight of an enemy or while submerged.

Hope that helps.

David I
David I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 11:16 AM   #5
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208

Default Save game basics two/too

Well, I'm no expert and not an authority of any sort on the mysteries of SHIII...but...what THEBERBSTER pointed to should help you out.

Before I increased my machine's RAM and upgraded SH3.exe with the 4gb patch (or LAA), I had experienced saved games crashing when I was within 50km of anything when I saved and exited the game. Saving within 50km of land, ships, planes...anything including ships that I'd just recently sunk...seemed to be "poison".

Since you pointed out that the sound.act file seems to be the culprit, I'm wondering of you were inside that 50km zone from a ship, or ships, that you had recently sunk, but were still in existence below the "sea surface" slowly sinking and generating the sinking noises (even if you aren't within "hearing" range) that continue until the wreck gets to the bottom and "dissolves". Or, perhaps you were within 50km of another noise generating ship, including those in harbor.

Those problems that I experienced almost all seemed to go away when I applied the 4gb patch, but I still pay heed to that 50km "rule".

Good luck...good hunting...sink 'em all!
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 12:29 PM   #6
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 7

Would you, please, post the list of mods you are running?
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 05:11 PM   #7
TiberiusoftheSea
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
TiberiusoftheSea!
Thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > TiberiusoftheSea
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3-4-5 Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below

You need to install the Large Address Aware (LAA) application to increase the games memory.
Large Address Aware (LAA) > Download Link < Essential Application for SH4
Further information can be found in my SH4 tutorials.

What is your game installation path?
You do not want to install your game in the Program files x86 directory as it has restrictions which can cause problems.
Run all you applications as administrators as well.
Please post your mod list.
Post #9 JSGME How To Export Your Mod List To A Subsim Post
Thanks for the welcome. I've already got HsieOptionsSelector installed using the V16B1-Patch-Kit which includes the 4GB patch - I assume LAA would be pointless on top of it? Also, you've stated it's for SH4?

Game installation was initially on a 1tb HDD used for only games - my C drive is on an SSD. When I re-installed SH3 this time around, I installed it directly on my SSD but in its own folder; I stayed away from the Program Files folders.

Regarding my mod list... In my infinite wisdom four years ago, I copied across my mods, images etc to an external drive for backup. Along the way I've somehow managed to rename them... Yeah... I know what they are, but not what they were originally called

Quote:
Originally Posted by David I View Post
Well I don't know if this helps, but one of the basics of saving the game is not to do that within 50km of land. If you saved as you left the harbor and you were within 50km your inviting a crash.

The other basics are not saving while in sight of an enemy or while submerged.

Hope that helps.

David I
Hi David. I had read somewhere once that there was a suggested "safe zone" for saving the game though I thought it was 30km. Not sure why I thought that but thanks for telling me it is actually 50km. With my original install, of course I was in the actual harbor and the game would have crashed around the 50km mark so you may be on to something there. However... with my latest install and fresh start, I saved many miles (200km+) out to sea and still CTD in AN54.

I've never saved while submerged - again I read it somewhere once. In fact, I always save on the surface with no ships around and after pressing F2. Probably doesn't affect anything, but always did it that way. The only exception is immediately after starting a patrol. My initial save is while at the dock/port and that save always loads 100% fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBones View Post
Well, I'm no expert and not an authority of any sort on the mysteries of SHIII...but...what THEBERBSTER pointed to should help you out.

Before I increased my machine's RAM and upgraded SH3.exe with the 4gb patch (or LAA), I had experienced saved games crashing when I was within 50km of anything when I saved and exited the game. Saving within 50km of land, ships, planes...anything including ships that I'd just recently sunk...seemed to be "poison".

Since you pointed out that the sound.act file seems to be the culprit, I'm wondering of you were inside that 50km zone from a ship, or ships, that you had recently sunk, but were still in existence below the "sea surface" slowly sinking and generating the sinking noises (even if you aren't within "hearing" range) that continue until the wreck gets to the bottom and "dissolves". Or, perhaps you were within 50km of another noise generating ship, including those in harbor.

Those problems that I experienced almost all seemed to go away when I applied the 4gb patch, but I still pay heed to that 50km "rule".

Good luck...good hunting...sink 'em all!
Thanks for the detailed reply. As mentioned above in this reply thread, I have the 4GB patch already installed. It does make a huge difference. Shame I can't utilize the full 16GB I have available though (SH3 remake anyone?)

With the CTD I had the first time round, I'd sunk eight ships so could well believe those were the "poison" that caused it, however with my new install, I hadn't fired a single shot. I have noticed that some of the harbor ships in Wilhelmshaven and Kiel tend to beach themselves and burn but always assumed this was a bug in GWX? Aside from them, I simply went on patrol. No damage dealt.

Regarding the sound.act bug... does anyone know why it causes a crash? I have modified many of the stock sounds in the game sampling from various mods as well as my own material however the bug occurs with or without those sound mods installed.

As above, I was aware there was a "safe zone" for saving and am confident I was well outside of any danger when I saved. I have a screen shot taken just before the CTD and we're looking at 200km + easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlechter pfennig View Post
Would you, please, post the list of mods you are running?
Regarding my mod list... In my infinite wisdom four years ago, I copied across my mods, images etc to an external drive for backup. Along the way I've somehow managed to rename them... Yeah... I know what they are, but not what they were originally called

Thanks all for your replies. Although I still have this issue, its been a pleasure
Old 05-01-18, 07:00 PM   #8
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

Hi TiberiusoftheSea,

Just a suggestion regarding CTD when loading saves. I run a similar install to you: disk version SH3, Win7 64bit, GWX 3.0, V16B1 kit with 4gb patch included plus a stack of other mods.

If you haven't already, as THEBERBSTER pointed out, run your SH3.exe as administrator and in compatability mode for WinXP Service Pack 3. I can't say whether these settings will fix your problem loading saves, but they worked wonders for me and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Once applied, I went from about a 20% failure rate of loading saves to zero. Since then I've probably loaded about 75-100 saves in succession without any glitches (touch wood). As an additional bonus, I can completly disregard the 50km rules (often save near ships sunk or ships closeby, convoys, whilst under attack, near land etc) and will very often save whilst submerged, all with no problems on loading. When I save, I always do it at TCx1 and with map view (F5). I do still obey the rule with regards to changing mods whilst in mid-patrol.

Good posts and I hope you fix your problem.
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 05:10 AM   #9
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi T
Sorry about the LAA mistake.
SH3 is incompatible with Windows 10 and needs to be run in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

I have found SH3 saves to be bullet proof although that is with LSH3-2015.
I always save in the command room F2.
I can save anywhere as long as it is a manual save and never had a problem when loading.

Does your ctd in AN54 happen in a particular area or only when you sink ships?
Run all your applications as administrators
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 05:23 AM   #10
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Hmmmm strange always in same grid... With new installation too.
I think really your soup mod guilty...
But difficult help you if no remember which Mod installed..
Old 05-02-18, 07:15 AM   #11
TiberiusoftheSea
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stork100 View Post
Hi TiberiusoftheSea,

Just a suggestion regarding CTD when loading saves. I run a similar install to you: disk version SH3, Win7 64bit, GWX 3.0, V16B1 kit with 4gb patch included plus a stack of other mods.

If you haven't already, as THEBERBSTER pointed out, run your SH3.exe as administrator and in compatability mode for WinXP Service Pack 3. I can't say whether these settings will fix your problem loading saves, but they worked wonders for me and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Once applied, I went from about a 20% failure rate of loading saves to zero. Since then I've probably loaded about 75-100 saves in succession without any glitches (touch wood). As an additional bonus, I can completly disregard the 50km rules (often save near ships sunk or ships closeby, convoys, whilst under attack, near land etc) and will very often save whilst submerged, all with no problems on loading. When I save, I always do it at TCx1 and with map view (F5). I do still obey the rule with regards to changing mods whilst in mid-patrol.

Good posts and I hope you fix your problem.
Hi

I set SH3Cmdr.exe, the original SH3.exe and the SH3.exe that needs to be put into the V16B1 supplement mod folder to run as administrator and in compatibility mode for WinXP Service Pack 3.

First attempt at loading my save game resulted in a CTD when the red bar loading screen had finished. The second attempt went as far as flashing the "No So Long Ago" screen before CTD. Third attempt crashed while the red bar was filling up.

I disabled compatibility mode for the above mentioned .exe applications but left administrator "mode" on. This time my career would actually load but still getting CTD in the same area (AN54.) I did try starting a new career with compatibility mode and run as administrator turned on and it loaded up right away - though so did my current career so sadly that doesn't help. I'd need to sit down and rush towards AN54 to see if it still crashes or not. Got to be worth a try though. Thanks.

It does sound like we have the same setup (aside from mods) so was wondering if you'd be willing to share your mod list? If it works for you, it may work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi T
Sorry about the LAA mistake.
SH3 is incompatible with Windows 10 and needs to be run in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

I have found SH3 saves to be bullet proof although that is with LSH3-2015.
I always save in the command room F2.
I can save anywhere as long as it is a manual save and never had a problem when loading.

Does your ctd in AN54 happen in a particular area or only when you sink ships?
Run all your applications as administrators
Peter
No worries. Thought I'd check first

I've never played any supermod/megamod aside from GWX 3.0 though maybe if I can't resolve my issue I can try LSH or NYGM. Would ideally fix my issue but if not, it's an option.

The CTD in AN54 in my original career was happening in the EXACT same spot when heading ENE from Hartlepool. When attempting to leave AN54 through any other direction, the CTD would still happen at roughly the same distance away. On my current career, I've saved in AN55 on the surface, in the command room with no contacts in sight. There is a bit of a storm (if that's relevant?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauangua View Post
Hmmmm strange always in same grid... With new installation too.
I think really your soup mod guilty...
But difficult help you if no remember which Mod installed..
I'll go through the mods that I renamed and compare them to the awesome archive Maik offers. If I can match them up, I'll be able to get the correct names
Old 05-02-18, 09:09 AM   #12
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusoftheSea View Post
Hi

I set SH3Cmdr.exe, the original SH3.exe and the SH3.exe that needs to be put into the V16B1 supplement mod folder to run as administrator and in compatibility mode for WinXP Service Pack 3.

First attempt at loading my save game resulted in a CTD when the red bar loading screen had finished. The second attempt went as far as flashing the "No So Long Ago" screen before CTD. Third attempt crashed while the red bar was filling up.

I disabled compatibility mode for the above mentioned .exe applications but left administrator "mode" on. This time my career would actually load but still getting CTD in the same area (AN54.) I did try starting a new career with compatibility mode and run as administrator turned on and it loaded up right away - though so did my current career so sadly that doesn't help. I'd need to sit down and rush towards AN54 to see if it still crashes or not. Got to be worth a try though. Thanks.

It does sound like we have the same setup (aside from mods) so was wondering if you'd be willing to share your mod list? If it works for you, it may work for me.

No worries. Thought I'd check first

I've never played any supermod/megamod aside from GWX 3.0 though maybe if I can't resolve my issue I can try LSH or NYGM. Would ideally fix my issue but if not, it's an option.

The CTD in AN54 in my original career was happening in the EXACT same spot when heading ENE from Hartlepool. When attempting to leave AN54 through any other direction, the CTD would still happen at roughly the same distance away. On my current career, I've saved in AN55 on the surface, in the command room with no contacts in sight. There is a bit of a storm (if that's relevant?)

I'll go through the mods that I renamed and compare them to the awesome archive Maik offers. If I can match them up, I'll be able to get the correct names
Perfect Tiberiusofthesea ...maybe you have add any ship?.. Probe open museum and watch.. If crash

Last edited by hauangua; 05-02-18 at 10:01 AM.
hauangua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 09:56 AM   #13
CTU_Clay
The Lone Wolf

Downloads: 314
Icon14

A late Greeting to you TiberiusoftheSea!

“Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.” .
CTU_Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-18, 10:30 AM   #14
TiberiusoftheSea
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauangua View Post
Perfect Tiberiusofthesea ...maybe you have add any ship?.. Probe open museum and watch.. If crash
The only mod I use (that I know of) that adds/changes ships is "Enhanced Funnel Smoke and Thomsens Ships V4.1 (by CEMTUFEKCI)" and it hasn't caused any issues that I'm aware of. I will go back through the museum just in case but I'm fairly confident everything is okay.

My mod list (in order of installation) as best as I match them up to the originals:

GWX 16km Atmosphere

GWX Axis Mediterranean Aircraft Skins

GWX English Nav Map and Grid Refs

GWX Main Movie 'Das Boot'

Aces Radio Room Postcards (ACES)

Bow Spray Mod (SALE999)

Enhanced Funnel Smoke and Thomsens Ships V4.1 (CEMTUFEKCI)

Improved Binoculars

Improved Foam (DESGA? / DUVAL? OTTO HEINMEIR?)

Improved Moon (KAFKA)

Improved Officer Icons (JCWOLF)

Improved Searchlight Beams (ONELIFECRISIS)

Improved Torps Wake (HANS WITTEMAN?)

Imrpoved Wave Textures (UNKNOWN MODDERS)

Lifeboats and Debri v4 (RUBINI)

Lighter Night Flags

Pascal's Port People (PASCAL)

Radio Message Screen Alt (JOHNFB)

Red Crew Management Screen

Red Night Filter (GAIRITH)

SH-5 Water for SH-3 16 Km V84 (RIK007)

Six Dial Slideout (GREYBEARD
*Note: QWERTYQWERTY also offers this mod but I'm 99% sure I'm using GREYBEARD's version.)

Telefunken EH 240 Headphones (ACES)

Terrain Textures

DFant_subFlag_2010

Aces Crew on Deck (ACES)

Depthcharge_shake_2.01 (NVDRIFTER)

DD_OH_V3.09_20091209162038 (DIVINGDUCK)

DD_OHV3.09_Fix_for_NVD_DC_Shake_001

FM_NewInterior v2.1D (FLAKMONKEY)

LostBoyLazarus' Uniform Pack (My own uniformpack [unreleased])

LostBoyLazarus' Sound Pack (My own soundpack [unreleased])

Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)

I have also added several files into "Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)" which include both changes to several CFG and Menu files. This was done to ensure compatibility between several mods that change lines in "Basic.cgf" and "menu_1024_768" etc. I have also "removed" the floating chronometer that GWX 3.0 added and re-added the bearing information to the binoculars (personal preference.)

Aside from these mods, I'm running GWX 3.0, SH3Cmdr (which I use to run the game), GWX3_SH3Cdr3.2Files_v1.2 (to enable SH3Cmdr to run with GWX 3.0) and Hsie Options Selector (v1.4) for SH3 with the following enabled:

4GB Patch
Snorkeling Fix
Hydrophone Fix
Fog Warning
CrashDive Blues Bugfix
External Torpedo Reload
Internal Torpedo Reload
Move 1WO to bridge
Radar Bugfix
Diesel Damage Fix
Bad Weather Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU_Clay View Post
A late Greeting to you TiberiusoftheSea!
Thank you CTU_Clay

Last edited by TiberiusoftheSea; 05-03-18 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-02-18, 06:20 PM   #15
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

TiberiusoftheSea,

Here is my mod list as it is presently over the aforementioned installation, in correct sequence. Very stable, though of course some minor configuring was required just for compatability. I don't use SH3Cmdr, though not for any technical reason.

GWX - Alternative Flotillas
GWX - No Medals on Crew
GWX - Lite Harbor Traffic
GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
TKSS18 German U-Boats Compilation No Eagle
German U-Boats Compilation 2 (only VIIB & VIIC models by WISE)
New U-Boat Guns Fixed Reworked (for German U-Boats Compilation)
FixAllSubGWX
Rapt0r's Uniforms V2.0 [Grey]
Rapt0r's Uniforms V2.0 [Grey - All Leather] Patch
OLC's Modified Searchlight Beams for GWX3
Ahnenerbe WideGui 1920 x 1080 Final
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
M.E.P v6
M.E.P v6- VisualSensors for GWX3
Optional - Zoomable Free Camera
WB's Mission Orders Lite v1.1
Clear NavMapTable
My Gauges Mod
My Diesel Mod
My RAOBF Mod
Realistic contacts with Sub icons
LifeBoats&Debris_v4
MFM-Improved
MFM-v3-Neutral-Skins-1940
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19390901
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19391101
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19400201
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19400501
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19400601
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19400801
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19401101
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19410201
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19410801
MFM-v3-US+UK_Skins19420201

Cheers.

Last edited by stork100; 05-02-18 at 08:49 PM.
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
an54, bug, ctd, sound.act