Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-10, 07:04 AM   #16
vonTorpitz
Seaman

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0

Judging by the posts Ive read. I can tell feelings are running hot concerning the inadequacies of SH5. Most of all, it seems that Ubisofts DRM policy is the predominant gripe here. Given the amount of negative press this thing is getting its only a matter of course until Ubisoft pulls it. Incidentally,(and I am truly reluctant to post this in light of the anguish Ive read about) I have experienced zero problems logging on to SH5 through Ubisofts servers. Not once. Maybe Im lucky. To be clear though, I am not condoning the unfinished product SH5 or Ubisofts draconian marketing schemes either.
In any case, the thread was directed to those who have already bought the game and how we can make it better. If you like SH3 then play it. Im ready to move on. And I sincerely hope others who've bought the game are as well.
Either that or we commandeer a U -Boat, sail to Romania or whatever backwater Eastern European paradise this game was created in ........and nuke it.

Old 04-05-10, 08:10 AM   #17
Taurolas
Medic

Downloads: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonTorpitz View Post
Judging by the posts Ive read. I can tell feelings are running hot concerning the inadequacies of SH5. Most of all, it seems that Ubisofts DRM policy is the predominant gripe here. Given the amount of negative press this thing is getting its only a matter of course until Ubisoft pulls it. Incidentally,(and I am truly reluctant to post this in light of the anguish Ive read about) I have experienced zero problems logging on to SH5 through Ubisofts servers. Not once. Maybe Im lucky. To be clear though, I am not condoning the unfinished product SH5 or Ubisofts draconian marketing schemes either.
In any case, the thread was directed to those who have already bought the game and how we can make it better. If you like SH3 then play it. Im ready to move on. And I sincerely hope others who've bought the game are as well.
Either that or we commandeer a U -Boat, sail to Romania or whatever backwater Eastern European paradise this game was created in ........and nuke it.
Lucky for you vonTorpitz, i bought the game, it patched itself and then it wouldnt load and wont go past the updating loader pop up window, so it would seem i purchased a game i cannot play... DRM strikes again! looks like i'm going back to SH4
Old 04-05-10, 08:15 AM   #18
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Quote:
I suspect as many here do that the torpedoes/nukes should be aimed instead at Ubisoft HQ in Paris. The Romanian dev team have their hearts in the right place regading the series and have simply not been given enough time/money to complete the job as intended by the bean counters and shareholder servicers above.

When push come to shove and someone has to explain why the game failed to HQ I hope someone at Ubi Romania will stand up for the future of the series and tell HQ they didn't give them enough time or money on this game, that they barely marketed it at all, made it the poster boy for the most hated computer "innovation" of recent times (DRM) and saddled it with a completely sub-standard & confusing manual. They don't listen to their customers hopefully Ubisoft HQ will listen to their staff. Or is it only shareholders that are their concern, If so then that's very bad business indeed.

Last edited by Sonarman; 04-05-10 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-05-10, 08:22 AM   #19
HundertzehnGustav
Sea Lord

Downloads: 66

LOLz

1 positive post

spawning a barricade of Artillery dropping down.

where are the other SHV lovers?
Old 04-05-10, 08:23 AM   #20
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonarman View Post
I suspect as many here do that the tops should be aimed instead at Ubisoft HQ in Paris. The Romanian dev team have their hearts in the right place regading the series and have simply not been given enough time/money to complete the job as intended by the bean counters and shareholder servicers above.

When push come to shove and someone has to explain why the game failed to HQ I hope someone at Ubi Romania will stand up for the future of the series and tell HQ they didn't give them enough time or money on this game, that they barely marketed it at all, made it the poster boy for the most hated computer "innovation" of recent times (DRM) and saddled it with a completely sub-standard & confusing manual. Since they don't listen to their customers hopefully Ubisoft HQ will listen to their staff. Or is it only shareholders that are their concern?
But I will add patience has worn thin with a lot of the VETERAN SH series users due to the fact A LOT of bugs that we saw in SH 3 have carried over to SH4 then to SH 5.

I understand the DEVS wanting to have have "Bigger and Better"...heck we all do. But to leave in OBVIOUS bugs from 2 iterations past, and introduce NEW OBVIOUS bugs (friendly ships moving in reverse, blocking your path) is unexcusable. All the eye candy and new functions (that are only half finished) will NEVER make up for such an incomplete release.

Better to work 99% of the bugs out of SH 4, THEN update the graphics (time permitted) and introduce a NEW campaign system (time permitted) then to release such an incomplete product like SH 5.
Old 04-05-10, 08:31 AM   #21
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

For the record, I'm not buying SH5 as I already got a U-Boat game that of SH3 and the find body of the modeling community here bought us GWX which is a hit with me, so I do not want two U-Boat games. Yes SH5 has better graphics so what, it was bound too. I was hoping to see a surface big fleet action but that was not the case, Ubi has only done what comes naturally, SH3 was a hit so they cashed in on it to bring us SH4 & SH5, thats business for you.

So to sum up for me, I not for buying it, as already stated, and I'm not knocking it as I have no right too, as I've not bought it.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 04-05-10, 08:55 AM   #22
Darkseed
A-ganger

Downloads: 16

My biggest gripe with the game and the reason I won't buy it is not all the bugs and barely beta-state of the game, not even the DRM (though that is a big part) but the fact that the game is not so much a sim than a Quake at sea. They dumbed it down a huge amount and for what? No amount of dumbing down will get the Halo-kids to buy it and will only serve to alienate all the true fans of the genre. Way to shoot yourselves and your fans in the foot, Ubi. I hope you go to hell.
Old 04-05-10, 09:13 AM   #23
Nokia
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 131

The half-finished state the game is in I could forgive but he DRM is a no no.
For me the problem is the DRM. I'm against this kind of DMR in general, not just in SH5 because in the end it's only going to hurt those who have bought the game. They say it's to prevent piracy but it won't. Just about every game has been cracked and many on the day they are released. So in the end the paying customer will have to put up with loosing connection etc. whilst those who pirated the game don't have to be connected to the ubi servers and can play the game when they please. So I ain't buying it before the DRM is removed. Like a vice man once said: "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock."

Old 04-05-10, 09:49 AM   #24
Hanomag
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 13
What really suxx is...

1) if you play it and like it.. you still have to deal with the bugs etc ...

2) if you refuse to buy it.. you still have to deal with the fact that a newer version of a game you would have loved to play did not materialize..

So its a BIG Shiite sandwich and we ALL have to take a bite!

"Only if I can save first..."
Old 04-05-10, 10:33 AM   #25
janh
Stinking drunk in Trinidad

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
The other side of the coin is for Ubisoft to consider....they are obviously aware of the strength of feeling and anguish within the subsimming community and as such IMHO it is down to them to show some measure of good faith with said client base.

Probably the best way would be to drop the need for DRM/OSP and release a few patches that fix/correct some of the fundamental problems with the game.

The community are confident they can rely on the modding fraternity to do their bit (as has always been the case) and Ubisoft are well aware of this too.

The question is.....Will Ubisoft play their part and meet us half way?
That is the point, indeed.

Besides SHV, there still is SHIII+GWX competing with it and as it stands (for me), the latter wins. I don't care much about the graphics, I want to simulate submarine warfare, so I need realism (historic), AI and features.

I'd give SHV a chance, especially that it almost reached the discounted bin after 4 weeks. But OSP-DRM is a NO by principle -- I would be screwed worse as a customer then a person that pirates it would be.
But it is nice that Ubisoft has repeated its traditions of early, buggy releases, minimzing content for shortening release cycles and helping it's stockholders gain wealth. Just not mine.

With the addition of the OSP-DRM Ubi luckily has given customers now a 2nd major reason to reject their products besides quality. It is so ironic that they sink their sales themselves. And push people to use pirated versions, or entirely ignore their franchise. I wonder where their markerting stragtegy department learned its job -- at a demolition school?
Old 04-05-10, 10:37 AM   #26
janh
Stinking drunk in Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokia View Post
...They say it's to prevent piracy but it won't. Just about every game has been cracked and many on the day they are released. ...
If it were just (or mainly) about piracy, why would they prevent reselling of the title through binding the customer account?
Old 04-05-10, 11:09 AM   #27
Navarre
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanomag View Post
2) if you refuse to buy it.. you still have to deal with the fact that a newer version of a game you would have loved to play did not materialize..
Do you really think a newer version out of the office Ubisoft would be better, this time more completely and with fewer release version bug's?

The comunity believed this after SH3 and also assumed that the next Ubisoft subsim will be better, Ubisoft will have learned from their mistakes. Then SH4 dropped on the market and again the comunity believed the next Subsim will be much better Ubisoft will have learned from their mistakes ...
Old 04-05-10, 11:13 AM   #28
Feuer Frei!
Navy Seal

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 17

To the OP and addressing the title,
it's like anything in life, everything/one deserves a chance, so does this game.

That is why i am sitting back and waiting...giving it a chance to develop and mature into what will hopefully be a wonderful sub sim.

Unfortunately i see that some have perhaps misconstrued the title and assumed this can be another thread to retread old ground.

LINK TO MY SH 3 MODS
Old 04-05-10, 11:25 AM   #29
stoneys-nutz
A-ganger

Downloads: 456

Quote:
Recently I've heard a tremendous amount of flak both on and off this forum directed against SH5.
Its true, the game was released practically half finished and bug ridden to the extreme. But seriously! There's got to be a bright side to this dismal situation. We actually have a brand new u-boat simulator, exclusively set in The Battle of the Atlantic. The graphics in this game are absolutely amazing both inside and outside the boat, we can now move about the boat (this adds huge freakin possibilities if you use your imagination) and from what I've heard Ubisoft has created the game to very open-ended and moddable. And remember, their previous releases in this genre were also basically unfinished when released but the efforts (superhuman, I might add) of modding community were able to turn them into winners. I personally think the opportunities abound in this game and positivity goes along way folks. So, meine kameraden, keep faith in SH5 and keep faith in the unbelievable skills of the modding community surrounding this game. Because in a years' time this will probably be the best subsim you've ever played.

Danke und Sieg!

vonTorpitz
I would have to agree with you, give it a chance to mature.
Seems like the people shouting the loudest are the ones who haven't even bought the game.

In the few weeks it s been out the modders have done wonders, so lets wait a while longer before we organise a wake for this game, i say game because its not a Sim just yet, but its getting closer all the time.

As for the DRM, i don't like it but i wont let that spoil any enjoyment i get from this game, i have had problems with DRM same as most players and have moaned about that but welcome to the future of gaming, if i spent Millions developing a game i would want to protect it too.

Bottom line is we have got what we have got, so if you don't like it thats fine, but by the time the modders have finished it will be a great Sim, with or without DRM, and with or without all the moaners.
Anyhoo, thats my two bobs worth.
Old 04-05-10, 11:28 AM   #30
Pandion
Watch

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I just can't play it anymore, it's mega boring. Go there, sink that, refill. That's the SH5 campaign mode.
I'm sorry but how is that different from the other's in the series.
Closed Thread

Tags
best subsim, bug, complaints, drama, drm, far too silly, sh5