SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-14-08, 11:18 PM   #61
X15
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Hi folks, I'm a volunteer with the USS Hornet museum in Alameda, CA, as well as on a ex-Navy Diesel Electric Yard Tug. I've decided to re-install SH3 and am about to get SH4, so I've been reading the forums and happened across this one.

Just a note on the BK destructor switch, the switch detonates a small charge in the IFF cabinet, see: http://hnsa.org/doc/radar/part2.htm#pg12

Good luck on your project!
X15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 10:56 AM   #62
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
The following are pictures of the Batfish's 1MC. Noted at the bottom is a list of tubes and such that are needed to power it up. Does anyone know were these tubes can be purchase, bartered? Is it even recommended that an attempt is tried?

http://www.352nd-mlha.com/Batfish%201MC/index.html

Chris, this link needs a warning "pictures are graphic!"

I think that if Batfish has some local lightening masters to work on this, that's fine. But it takes a team and it takes time. And determination. I remember the long faces and sad notes when our first test ended up being one step forward 1.5 backwards.

And the Batfish boyz need to sit down to decide whether or not restoring this equipment is a priority for them. There are good ways to fake a 1MC if you want to. I remember reading that they had some serious restoration issues and remember that they had a work weekend at some point also.

Batfish was our dear departed Mr. Joe's boat, so it's great to help them if we have the opportunity to do so.

These photographs are a great reminder to me of how valuable the skills and determination of our crew is. It's no mean feat.
Latest post on the Torsk site. Our crew will help were we can . I forgot to mention the work weekends. We hold them twice a year at the Torsk. Crews from other boats will come for two to three days and just simply work on the boat. Last work weekend there was 35+ people who came from all over the country just to clean an old WW2 vessel called the Torsk.

Welcome aboard X15. Any help is appreciated!!!

Back to the paint....there is plenty of it to chip and grind away. What we do is pick one project and finish it. This past weekend Tim and I did nothing but chip and grind away paint on a panel that housed the phone/reostates for the compressors/electrical box and a klaxon that were attached to the panel. Took 5 hours to complete from clean up to bar metal on the brackets and paint. A few of the pieces were brass long since painted over hundreds of times. These we polish up and leave the nice brass as it was supposed to be. This is how Tim and I go about it in the engine rooms.

Tools...attempt to assemble tools that you leave on the boat. Lock them up when not in use. Our aft battery is nothing but tools that is locked when we are not there.
Old 01-15-08, 01:26 PM   #63
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Rick plans on turning one of the battery compartments into a work shop and the other into an activity center for groups like the Sea Cadets, Boy Scouts, or JROTC.

He said the same thing about picking one project and running with it.

I joined up with an Antique Radio forum and a lot of guys on there restore 60+ year old radios all of the time. As I expected, they say that the main thing to take care of are the capacitors. I expect the 1MC to be a long-term project. Before she'll ever work, Rick has to restore power to the Switch Board, anyway. So, there's no real temptaion to just turn it on and see what happens.

AVG, let me know if you get any further insight as to how the Torsk rigged the diving alarm contactor to directly activate the H-9 horns.
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 03:13 PM   #64
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot-kill-win
Did you find the Blueprints for the systems?
Rick has a pile of blue prints that I need to look through. One of the sub vets said that there are a lot that are missing. Not having much luck finding any on the internet, either.

I looked at the USS Pampanito wish list and their 1MC seems to be an older system than ours and they aren't having any luck finding prints or manuals for theirs, either.

Mainly, I need the prints to find all of the capacitors to replace them and also to see where the contactor switches would have connected to the back of the box(es) in order to activate the various alarms. If was able to pull all of the equipment out, I'd probably see screw terminals on the backs of the two signal generators with labels for each alarm switch. RCA did a pretty good job labeling the vacuum tube sockets.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 01-15-08, 03:45 PM   #65
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
AVG, let me know if you get any further insight as to how the Torsk rigged the diving alarm contactor to directly activate the H-9 horns.
Done! I'm suspect that the horns were wired new and off a centrally located fuse box. In the aft battery which is the work room we have a bank of batteries that run emergancy lighting if we loose main electrical. There is a fuse box there and possibly this is what runs the horns. Let see who did the work on them and what they did.
Old 01-15-08, 05:14 PM   #66
shoot-kill-win
Medic

Downloads: 9

Yea, there are alot of blueprints for the systems. I looked through them a couple times, and there are a bunch on the same system. I hope you find the ones for the 1mc.

U.S.S. Batfish "The champion Submarine-killing sub of WWII"
Official tonnage: 12,332
Sank 3 subs in 3 days
shoot-kill-win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 10:38 AM   #67
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

AVG,

I found this website listing manuals that the Torsk currently has... http://www.broseker.net/babroseker/archives.htm

Could you ask one of the the Torks's electrical guys if either of the following manuals has schematics and/or operating instructions for the 1940's RCA 1MC stack?

* MS2 Instruction Book, Shipboard Announcing Equipment, Escape Hatch Announcing System, Circuit 31MC for Submarines

* MS9 US Navy Battle Announcing Equipment Type MCG System 1MC and 7MC (This is supposedly on display in the Yeoman's Shack according to this site... http://www.broseker.net/babroseker/books.htm)

Thanks.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 01-16-08, 12:04 PM   #68
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

I can ask Gil Bohanan. He has all of this in the archives. Maybe one day I will actually go look at the archives. I will not be at the Torsk this Saturday but will be going the following weekend. I will ask Gil then if he is aboard. Looking at the list Bruce has some also.
Old 01-16-08, 01:11 PM   #69
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Thanks and there's no huge hurry. I'll be spending saturdays just getting all of the crud off of the equipment. It will be nice just looking at shiny parts, again.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 01-19-08, 12:41 PM   #70
shoot-kill-win
Medic

Downloads: 9

Yes, clean parts always look better than dirty parts.

U.S.S. Batfish "The champion Submarine-killing sub of WWII"
Official tonnage: 12,332
Sank 3 subs in 3 days
shoot-kill-win is offline   Reply With Quote