SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-08-08, 01:59 PM   #1
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7
Default [WIP] Japanese Campaign

From now on this will be the "official" Thread for the Japanese Campaign. The other was asking for help, so the title was misleading.

Since Japan placed more importance on sinking warships rather than merchants, this will NOT be "Engage Enemy Merchant Shipping". It should be more of a challenge with more engagements with Warships and Task Forces, but still some merchant missions. Especially with invasion forces bringing LSTs, Troops and Supplies to the allied forces.

The Submarines were built by Keltos, with some help from Mikhayl, Xantro and ZaZa.
Japanese name were supplied by Takao.

Here are some screen shots to get started with.

Captains Room: changed the flag, the emblem on the hat, the Aces board, various German insignia on paper work, the map, and the photo was replaced with Yamamoto.

Since the room is dark the Submarine Aces board doesn't show up so here is a closeup of it. While making it I was deciding what names to put on it, and since Takao gave us the names and that is a Japanese ship, the first name was simple. Few people know but Keltos is Japanese and means "Honorable Builder of sinking ships" (we haven't decided if that is good or bad).:hmm:

Base assignment screen, using Keltos' Jyunsen B and Takao's name and rank:

This next one is not at the beginning of the Campaign, since Japan had not yet taken control of Wake Island and Rabaul. We will have bases at Yokosuka, Rabaul, and either Saipan or Kwajalein. Wake Island and Truk are for refit.

And finally a look at the Captain's log after a mission. The Japanese writing on the left means "Imperial Japanese Navy" according to Wiki.

More information and photos as we progress. We have been converting a lot of files over to the German side because of the subs being built on German subs. The Campaign was initailly started on the US/Japanese Pacific theater. The Campaign at this time will take place in the Pacific Ocean like SH4 before the Add-on. It will eventually spread into other areas, but we need to take it one step at a time.

We have had requests for Japanese faces and voices. We now have some sources for voices. The faces are being worked on, but nothing definate yet. Our first priority is to get a working/playable Campaign and will most likely be released as a Beta version.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Last edited by peabody; 09-08-08 at 05:38 PM.
peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 02:40 PM   #2
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

I just wanted to have the second post

beautiful work Peabody so you actually knew what my name meant

I can't wait to try it ! and by gosh my Jyunsen B looks even better as a background screen, this work looks professional, yes Sir !

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 03:14 PM   #3
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
Best of luck to you, it's a big taking and the amount of small things that need to be adressed can be depressing at times, but you seem to be doing good
It would be a nice touch if you can scale & simplify the jyunsen model to replace the type IX on the desk.
Thanks Mikhayl. We will do our best. It isn't the 'doing' as much as the 'finding' that I have trouble with. Then while looking for one thing I bump into something and :hmm: wonder what that's for? I have tons to learn, I'll be the first to admit that.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 09-08-08, 04:16 PM   #4
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284
Uploads: 0

Looking Great!!

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 05:11 PM   #5
CDR Resser
Lieutenant

Downloads: 59

This mod is quite intriguing. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Respectfully Submitted;
CDR Resser

Holy Equestrian Order of Saint John Moses
Sometimes, in war, there is an inverse moral. The greater the performance, the harsher the consequence. R.H. O'Kane
CDR Resser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 05:15 PM   #6
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

I think you should greatly diminish or get rid of the "Sink merchant shipping" mission, since Japan didn't employ unrestricted submarine warfare and therefore didn't send it's subs to hunt merchants specifically (as far as I know)

Otherwise, looks very good
Old 09-15-08, 05:42 AM   #7
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Peabody already replaced it with a Japanese flag. look at the first picture in the first post.

I just scaled down the 3d model of the Jyunsen B to replace the german model sitting on desk.

We have some troubles with the textures/mouse over with that screen, I used the stock version of the room to test the desk submarine.

And I like the new map made by Peabody.

keltos

Old 12-04-08, 08:00 AM   #8
Red Heat
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 243

[quote=keltos01]

Peabody already replaced it with a Japanese flag. look at the first picture in the first post.

I just scaled down the 3d model of the Jyunsen B to replace the german model sitting on desk.

We have some troubles with the textures/mouse over with that screen, I used the stock version of the room to test the desk submarine.

keltos[/quot

I dont have words...
Outstanding!...outstanding! Great work...

´´There is three kinds of man: the living, the death,
and those who are at Sea.´´

Plato
Red Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 08:08 AM   #9
keltos01
Silent Hunter

[quote=Red Heat]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01

keltos[/quot

I dont have words...
Outstanding!...outstanding! Great work...

Peabody's quite a modder I agree !

you just reminded me that our captain's room mod isn't finished The thing is, I have version 1.1 available on my FF page, we never could get the texture right on the desk scaled model... if you'd mouseover it would look good, untill then the texture would be a dirty gray obscuring the model (which has as much details as the ingame one, it is just scaled down).

The thing is we have to redo all parts of the game, unlike a german campaign for example, all headers etc.. have to be redone, that's taking a long time.

Keltos

btw did you notice who was on the picture on the desk ??? hmmm??? a hint : he said the dec 7 attack would wake a sleeping giant..

Last edited by keltos01; 12-04-08 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-04-08, 10:27 AM   #10
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

campaign link for ya:

http://www.zululand.co.za/index.php?...561&Itemid=134

http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/japsubs/shipssunk.htm
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 12:46 PM   #11
peabody
Admiral

Thank you Red Heat, I spend more time tying to figure out how to do it then actually doing it. This is all new to me.

Thanks for the links tater, will come in handy. That has been the biggest problem so far is the details. There is a lot of info but not a lot of details. For example they go to great lengths telling about the major battles but nothing as simple as where the ships came from. Like the first link said the sub was based at Kwajalein, that's the type of info that is lacking from most sites.

And any personal info I have from my father was India, Burma, Merrill’s Marauders (he wasn't one of them but he met them, and Merrill personally gave him a shut up and listen speech about writing to his mother. Apparently Merrill knew a girl that was friend with my Grandmother who was in tears because she hadn't heard from my father. And Merrill gave him a direct order to write her every day Yes, Sir)
He was in the Army Air Corps and apparently they had to bug out the Japanese were overrunning the base, so they ended up taken some Chinese with them. As they were going down the runway they were shooting at the Japanese. But the weirdest part, when they got to altitude the Chinese were playing some kind of card game, and suddenly started yelling at one man and grabbed him and threw him out the cargo door on the side of the plane. My father made the comment, "I don't know if he lost or if he got caught cheating but I wasn't going to play that game."
So, I have very little knowledge of the Naval war, other than the basis stuff you learn in school.

Peabody

Old 11-30-08, 07:54 AM   #12
Rowddy
Gunner

Downloads: 202
Default a little push in the right direction pls

Hi everyone,

i'm new on this Forum and relativly new with the SIM. i downloaded this japanese campaign and installed it in JSGME but it doesn't appear on the start of a new Campaign i can choose between american or german campaign atm. so what did i do wrong?? I patched up to date also.

any help or suggestions are very welcome
Rowddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-08, 11:55 AM   #13
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowddy
Hi everyone,

i'm new on this Forum and relativly new with the SIM. i downloaded this japanese campaign and installed it in JSGME but it doesn't appear on the start of a new Campaign i can choose between american or german campaign atm. so what did i do wrong?? I patched up to date also.

any help or suggestions are very welcome
The Japanese Campaign has not been released yet. You may have downloaded the subs that are going to be used in it. Keltos built Japanese subs built with German sub parts to make them playable. Then we got together and started working on a Japanese Campaign to put them into. Right now they are working in the German Career or Uboat Add-on.

What was the name of the file you downloaded and I can tell you what you have?

Peabody

Old 11-30-08, 12:52 PM   #14
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

hmmm, if you downloaded the subs, or one of those pretty little Kaiten packages that keltos made, they are selectable in the German Campaign menu...that is...if you have 1.5
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 01:39 PM   #15
dc1962
Bosun

Downloads: 8

I just read this--man what a great addtion to the game! I can wait! Thanks for all your hard work on this.
dc1962 is offline   Reply With Quote