SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-04-18, 11:32 AM   #1
Ular Laut
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Some questions about torpedo launching.

Hi all, I want to ask some questions, in asw quick mission.
1.Does launching a passive torpedo with slow speed at subs effective?
2.What is the pros and cons to choose passive homing vs active homing?
3. Does shooting from different layer useful to mask the torpedo noise?
3. What is Mk 48 best speed in passive mode?
Ular Laut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-18, 12:17 PM   #2
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

1. Being far from passive/active decoy is more effective than being close and quiet
2. Passive homing torpedoes can be decoyed only by passive decoy. Launching active decoy gives you nothing in that case.
3. Yes (for someone on opposite side of layer)
4. For all Mk48 in passive its 45 kts (in RA mod)
General rule is: 5 kts lower than maximum attack speed
Im not sure is it simulated in vanilla game.
Old 11-04-18, 12:39 PM   #3
Ular Laut
Swabbie

Icon7

Thank you.
1. How do you beat the CMS? I usually shoot 3 spread torpedoes with mixed passive active and same speed (40kts), ( not too far each other) and set the rte of the active earlier, and it most of time work againt ai.
2. For wireguiding,. how long you wireguiding it? Doesn't opening tube door causing noise?.
3. For asuw, which one you'll choose? Torpedoes or missiles?
Old 11-04-18, 01:04 PM   #4
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

1. Best thing to do is to watch own torpedoes. Launched with 5 kts lower than attack speed they increase speed when detect something. If torpedo begins to slow down and making turns - it means target wasn't sub/surf but decoy. In this place make mark on map (enter)
Preenable it and change course when you suspect real target go. Enable torpedo in some distance from decoy.

2. Because it would be hard to simulate in DW, wire guided torpedo haven't wire limitation.
Opening tube causes additional noise and affect your hull/spherical sonar

3. Definitely torpedoes - they are much harder to avoid/destroy by surf.
But if you use RA mod, and play Akula II or III, Sizzlers (supersonic) are best anti-ship missiles in game - very hard for shooting down and they allows you to plot waypoints.

Check my YT channel - i have many videos from MP sessions and single player game: you can learn how to play

Link

Old 11-04-18, 02:54 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Ular Laut!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 07:18 AM   #6
tAKticool47
Mate

Downloads: 1
Default Torps are a lot like hot-rod engines

When you think about the performance of torpedoes, it helps to use the analogy of a hi-performance car engine.

The higher the speed of the torpedo, the lower the range it will have AND the more noise it will be. Kind of like having a V8 Corvette... when you go faster, you burn more gas (your MPG goes down) and your engine is going to be a lot louder.

For torpedoes, that can mean a lot of things. The MK48 ADCAP is a good example... it's range is just over 30% more at slow-speed than max speed, PLUS, it's significantly quieter. You can show yourself this by making some "training missions" and with truth on, watching how much longer it takes for an enemy ship to detect the torpedo and start moving out of the way/etc. This can be particularly important in close range scenarios because if you're within 10 miles, and Russian subs are around, it seems like as soon as you let an ADCAP rip (at 55kts), they start slinging Shkvals at you and at 200kts, they get you very quickly. But a slow ADCAP can get much, much closer to the target before they detect it.

Now the one thing about MK48 ADCAPs the game doesn't model is really how intelligent they actually are. With the wire connected, the torpedo reports it's status all the time. It will actually report to the sub when it detects the enemy sub, then it will calculate the targets course & speed and the distance between the target and torpedo, it will report that, and then it will calculate the best intercept course (this is called "Range Gating") and maneuver to intercept--- it also will adjust it's speed multiple times, increasing speeds a few times along the process or decreasing speeds (if it were to miss or lose track) -- and the operator can actually make changes on the fly. The game lets you of course Enable/Pre-Enable/Shut-Down, but in real life you can change the speeds on the fly (Start Lo-speed for example [for max range/stealth], Kick to Medium speed when the enemy detects the torpedo, kick to high/max when it closes into terminal homing etc.)

And of course, the fleet is now equipped with the Mod-7 CBASS (It's my understanding that they try to equip every sub with at least SOME Mod-7s when they deploy) which have more processing power and sensor/hardware than any torpedo on the planet. These things *do not miss*.

Another thing to consider is how you employ your countermeasures. In the game of course, "passive countermeasure" for "passive torpedo" and "active countermeasure" for "active torpedo" -- in real life , there are specific and complicated countermeasure employment sequences. There are acoustic decoys (designed to emit noise and fool a passive sensor into believing it's the sub) and jammers (which put walls of popping bubbles in the area to reflect the active pings of a torpedo and diffuse them away from the torpedo. I am pretty sure you generally want to drop a decoy into the water (to emit sound) and then as you speed up, turn, and probably dive, you'd drop a jammer to put up a sonic "wall" between the torpedo and your sub. I don't think the game is modeled quite so sophistcatedly.

And last- wire-guided torpedoes.... to again use the MK48 ADCAP for example. The torpedo itself is packed with 10 miles of wire. The submarine connects another 10+ mile spool to the torpedo's own spool, and it gets threaded through the door inside the torpedo room (and connected into the computer). The outer doors (Muzzles) get opened, the torpedo gets fired, and the wire starts spooling out. The muzzle doors have to stay open to continue using the wire. Physically opening the door does put noise into the water (although the Virginia and Seawolf classes have a different setup for opening the doors and are much, much quieter) but once it's opened, the benefits of the wire far outweigh any possible flow-noise associated with the open muzzles. Of course there is SOME flow-noise so you wouldn't want to drive around with your outer doors open all the time. And finally, if you close the door with the wire still intact, it cuts the wire. But that doesn't mean the torpedo "dies", it just continues doing whatever it was programmed to do before the wire was cut. But WITH the wire, it's basically like a remote-control-torpedo.
tAKticool47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 09:18 AM   #7
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27

A couple of my tricks (use MK48 as an example):

1. Top speeds for passive and active are different. Passive is generally 5kts slower. I usually set speed 5kts slower than the top ones. Please note, the speed you set is the weapon's cruise speed, not the terminal attack speed. Once the weapon locks onto something, it will automatically increase up to the top speed (either passive or active), regardless of your settings on cruise speed.

2. Observe torpedo behavior and speed changes. If you see your torp steady and speed up to the top speed and holds at top speed, you would know it has locked onto something.

3. Observe your broadband aspect changes. If the torp locks onto something but torp's broadband line is diverging from the target's one then you would know your torp has most likely locked onto a decoy rather than the true target

4. Check target's speed on the DEMON display, most AI sub under attack would travel at high speed to evade. If you see torp locks on, the broadband lines are not diverging, but the target is actually slowing down then most likely the target is behind the torp's search cone rather than ahead of the torp.
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-18, 09:27 AM   #8
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27

Also, btw. I usually don't use passive mode on subs. Subs are usually quieter than surface ships. I use passive mode in stealthy attacks on surface ships in transit.

Another word on depth. I know you can change depths by toggling enable button, but i am not good at it. If there is a themo layer, I just launch two torps one above and one below the layer. Layer is very effective in confusing torp at long to medium ranges, but at close range (i mean very close), layer is useless. If you want to be sneaky, figure out whether the sub is above or below before your attack, then launch on the opposite side of the layer but set attack depth on the correct side. Once you think your torp is close enough, turn on the seeker and let it run.
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 05:05 AM   #9
Ular Laut
Swabbie

Icon14

Thank you so much for your help
Old 11-08-18, 09:44 AM   #10
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Lots of good stuff said here. Definitely take advantage of the layer whenever possible. You can run active torps at maximum speed no problem, but lowering the top speed of a MK48 by 5 or even 10 knots (which is still sufficient for the grand majority of subs in the game) greatly reduces the emitted sound of the torpedo, making it harder for the enemy to counter-detect.

I would also recommend that you use pretty much only passively-guided torpedoes against surface warships. I've had some experiences lately where surface warships have been able to spoof my active torps rather well.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote