SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-08-07, 09:01 AM   #46
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHeart
Thanks for putting this together.

May I ask if there is likely to be the equivalent for the subs? When I first installed GWX I remember that if one uses SH3Cmdr then was not to install the skins add-on at that time.

Cheers.
There is a debate on the GWX Development and Beta Testing Teams about Sub Skins as well. The reason why they were not included is simple. GWX Devs wanted to have the skin pack relesed to the general public as soon as possible, and more Beta Testing for the sub skins would have caused delays. Hopefully very soon a sub skin pack add on would be made and released as well (depending on how the debate turns up obviously )
melnibonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 09:56 AM   #47
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by melnibonian
Hopefully very soon a sub skin pack add on would be made and released as well (depending on how the debate turns up obviously )
Nice !
Old 03-08-07, 10:34 AM   #48
KaleunHassanAziz
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Can I use the new skin pack without SH3 Commander?
KaleunHassanAziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 12:57 PM   #49
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunHassanAziz
No

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 01:53 PM   #50
Rotor
Torpedoman

Downloads: 51

Great work guys - Thanks!
Old 03-08-07, 03:49 PM   #51
ichneumon
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunHassanAziz
Sort of. You could enable each date manually using JSGME but you will have to add them cumulatively. In other words, if you want to start a patrol in 1942 you will have to enable all dates starting with 19390901 up to the start of your next patrol. Then you will have to remember to enable each date as your career progresses. It is much easier with SH3 Commander which takes care of all of this for you.

The other way to use this without SH3 Commander is to just pick the skins you like and copy them into the appropriate ship folders. Of course you will not get the historically accurate changes with time but you will at least get the new skins. I believe we will be updating the GWX skins in the spring update so if you can wait until then we will do this for you.
Old 03-08-07, 07:18 PM   #52
ichneumon
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly
Nice one Ichy
Now I have to D\L again
Yes, but this time it is better
Old 03-08-07, 07:33 PM   #53
ichneumon
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHeart
Thanks for putting this together.

May I ask if there is likely to be the equivalent for the subs? When I first installed GWX I remember that if one uses SH3Cmdr then was not to install the skins add-on at that time.

Cheers.
We have discussed creating a similar skin pack for sub skins but I am not sure how much interest there is in this. I know I prefer to choose which skin I use rather than have one assigned to me. However, if it looks like there is a lot of interest in this idea and I can convince Fubar to help me again, something like this is very possible. How do the rest of you feel about having historically accurate changes in sub skins through time?

You were instructed not to use the old skin pack because some of the ship names changed in GWX. This meant the old skin pack had the wrong folder and file names for some of the skins which would create problems. That is also why this new skin pack will only work with GWX. It would be possible for someone to port most of this new skin pack to stock SHIII or one of the other supermods or even your own custom mod simply by renaming folders and files to make it compatible. However, most of the capital ships are not multiskinned so you would have to replace the ship *.dat files or extract the skins from the dats and import them into your dats.
Old 03-09-07, 04:53 AM   #54
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichneumon
How do the rest of you feel about having historically accurate changes in sub skins through time?
It's going to be a large amount of work for Fubar (is it really possible to create a skin for each and everyone of the german subs in WW2 ? ). But no doubt : that would be incredibly awesome. Good luck in making this skin pack.

Old 03-09-07, 05:05 AM   #55
OuNiS
Engineer

Downloads: 70

It's amazing.
THX!
Old 03-09-07, 05:25 AM   #56
RocketDog
Mate

Downloads: 11

Brilliant work - you efforts are much appreciated.

Thanks!

RD.
Old 03-09-07, 05:42 AM   #57
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 90

Quote:
How do the rest of you feel about having historically accurate changes in sub skins through time?
I don't know if what I'm about to suggest is possible but we can keep everyone happy actually. What if we use historically accurate sub skins for the AI subs and leave the user the choise to use whatever skin he or she likes? What I mean is let's have the patch for the AI subs and allow the user to use JSGME to enable his own skins over the AI ones (Exactly as we do now when we enable our custom skins over the GWX stock ones)
melnibonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 06:14 AM   #58
BladeHeart
Chief

Quote:
Personally I would wish for a pack that altered the sub skins as described above. Those who would want unique schemes will install them regardless.

Alternatively if someone was able to indicate what would be appropiate skins for the different types of subs that would be helpful; for example I am aware of a number of type VIIC skins but no VIIB skins. If that is unreasonable of excessive then I apologise and please ignore.
BladeHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 06:50 AM   #59
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Re sub skins, let's just think laterally for a second.

Wouldn't it be good to get Med-based camo U-boat skins and even crew outfits when in 23/29th Flotilla?

How about clothing and camo fit for the Arctic (including ice) when in 11th Flotilla?

Feeling tropical? Wouldn't nice summery outfits look a treat when in the Indian (10th) or Sth Atlantic (10th or 12th)?

There's no need to just think date-based changes - SH3Cmdr can support a wide variety of concepts.

But if one was to think date-based, one option would be to follow Allgemeinen Baubestimmungen (Building Regulations Order) Nr. 31 (November 1941 and July 1944). Doing so could see a shift from Dunkelgrau 51 to Hellgrau 50 early in the war through to camo skins and back to Dunkelgrau 51 later in the war (generally speaking of course, as there were countless variations and combinations).
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-07, 07:10 AM   #60
mr chris
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
Re sub skins, let's just think laterally for a second.

Wouldn't it be good to get Med-based camo U-boat skins and even crew outfits when in 23/29th Flotilla?

How about clothing and camo fit for the Arctic (including ice) when in 11th Flotilla?

Feeling tropical? Wouldn't nice summery outfits look a treat when in the Indian (10th) or Sth Atlantic (10th or 12th)?

There's no need to just think date-based changes - SH3Cmdr can support a wide variety of concepts.
Oh please say this is true and in the pipeline. If this is true i think i might soil myself