SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-11-17, 08:41 PM   #1
Killerfish Games
Cold Waters Developer

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Version 1.09 Beta Now Available

This is a significant update which adds neutral shipping along with other fixes and improvements to the base game. Note that it will lilely break most mods, so be sure to disable any mods or custom content before enabling 1.09 beta.

To opt in to the beta:
Right click the Cold Waters in Steam library, go to properties and you should have new "BETAS" tab added, then use the pulldown to select the beta you would like to opt into -leave the early access code empty- and the new update should download. When you run the game the version number should read version 1.09.

Version 1.09 Beta
12 Dec 2017

General
"Default Commander Name" now uses language dictionary value
Fixed typo in sensor_display_names.txt and sensors.txt "Spin Trough"
config.txt added ForceCampaignMissionNumber=FALSE for debugging specific mission instance of ForceCampaignMissionType
PeriscopeDepthInFeet=45 variable now supported in vessel files, default value if omitted is 45
Added Mail and Haze to Strike from the Sea and Narvik Caper Single Missions
Added support for vessels at anchor near ports
Missiles cannot target anchored ships in close proximity to docks
Added support for multiple rudders on vessels
Seaweed patches added in shallow waters
Fixed prop location on Kilo
default/campaign/campaignXXX/language_en/events/content/patrol_outcome_end.txt to handle court martial ending
Added SHIPDOCK positions to all ports
Removed red TLAM circle from Strike from the Sea Single Mission as TLAMs auto home added as of version 1.08c
OtherVessels removed from Single mission files and added to default/campaign/maps/norwegian_sea_traffic.txt
VesselsAndTraffic=campaign/maps/norwegian_sea_traffic added to all Single Missions and campaign_data.txt files to reference neutral traffic and lists of ships available for Signature Analysis
Oil rig positions added to default/campaign/maps/norwegian_sea_world_objects
Added new text files default/campaign/maps/norwegian_sea_world_objects_68.txt and default/campaign/maps/norwegian_sea_traffic_68.txt

New vessels and oil rigs added:
civ_fv_trawler
civ_ms_freighter_a
civ_ms_freighter_b
civ_ms_super_p
civ_ms_encounter
civ_ms_sl7
civ_oilrig
civ_spar_rig

Combat
Recognition manual displays correct sonar frequencies
Helmsman now calls correct speed if entering Silent Running above 5 knots
Sonarman now calls out faded contact bearing at mission start if initial contact is lost
AI take snapshots toward incoming torpedoes with torpedo and/or ASW missile spreads
Snapshots with missiles, range spread
Snapshots with torpedoes, bearing spread
Snapshot probability tied to game difficulty (40%, 70%, 100%, 100%)
Torpedo snapshot number fired tied to quality of enemy solution against player
AI surface vessels now more aggressive with using torpedoes
Decreased radius of depth charge, depth bomb and naval shell blast zones by 50%
Fixed a bug where sinking a contact not currently detected threw a script error
Fixed some physics issues with depth bomb trajectories
Fixed an error with ship fires burning script
Despawn ships that cannot be assigned a valid start position (due to terrain)
Damage decals updated
Ships docked at ports randomised and can be sunk

Campaign
Whales now correctly spawn in campaign missions
Improved campaign mission generation for more mission variety
campaign_data.txt added DefaultMissionTypes=SSN_WOLFPACK,SS_WOLFPACK to fall back to these types when a valid mission cannot be found
Fixed ASUW_STRIKE and RESUPPLY_CONVOY missions which were not being generated correctly
Enemy occupied locations now correctly calculated for mission types requiring them
Fixed SS_WOLFPACK_2 missions (84, 68 campaigns) which lacked waypoint data
Removed non-player CONVOY missions from 68 and 84 campaign_data.txt as they broke mission generation
Event texts use correct file values for headers: "THE SECRETARY OF THE NAVY<n>WASHINGTON" and "ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE"
Events new variable: ForwardDate=7,14 sets date forward by range for all intro and conclusion events to simulate passage of time
Added Mail to INSERTION and LAND_STRIKE missions
Fixed bad mission files for INSERTION missions in 84 campaign: Narvik, Reykjavik, Bergen, Trondheim
Added air patrols for INSERTION missions in 84 campaign: Narvik, Reykjavik, Bergen, Trondheim
New player mission checks if location based and too close to current player position to prevent auto-failing mission
campaign_data.txt added CivilianTraffic=campaign/maps/norwegian_sea_traffic
default/campaign/maps added norwegian_sea_traffic.txt files for 84 and 68 campaign
default/campaign/campaignXXX/language_en/events/content/patrol_outcome_end.txt added for court martial ending of campaign
Old 12-11-17, 09:40 PM   #2
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Downloads: 59

I'm not much of a beta-testing type of gamer anymore, but I have to say that I'm impressed with the change list. Can't wait for the release. You've made a special game here....
Aramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 07:36 PM   #3
Jotte
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon14

Tried the surefire old tactics I've used at the very passive Soviets and now I got greeted by 2 spreads of 3 x USET-80's against my launch transient. While evading, the Charlie and Victor III fired SS-N-16's at me too. One of the USET-80's latched on me that I was unable to evade. USS Jacksonville ended up in a deep grave.
This is from just one test but it looks like this patch have changed the play field considerably. Excellent
Old 12-12-17, 08:30 PM   #4
jrolson
Watch

Downloads: 1

Bug,
Damage textures are slightly darker than the rest of the sub making them stick out.

Last edited by jrolson; 12-15-17 at 09:09 PM.
jrolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 10:22 PM   #5
MR_AUS
Watch

Downloads: 14

Looks great so far. Seaweed makes it look more realistic and gives a better sense of your speed across the sea floor. And yes, you can drive through the seaweed without it damaging your sub. Have yet to see any oil rigs or civilian ships.
I have the Russian Playable Subs mod installed and it does cause a couple of things not to work. So far have found the helm/dive/speed controls etc. tabs don't work as well as the XO report tab at the mission loading screen seems not to work. Removed it and there were no issues at this stage.
Old 12-13-17, 02:37 AM   #6
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9

awesome so far, I love the inclusion of Neutrals and Biologics, although, do they have to be the same color as unknown contacts on the map? that threw me off the first couple of times I saw them. The only significant bug I noticed is that the 1984 campaign now seems to start in 1985. Not a big deal, but the Article about the Soviet reaction to Able Archer '83 references it as having taken place "last November." If the paper is dated February of '85, last November would have been '84.
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 08:56 AM   #7
Jotte
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
radar

Also, as I was watching a whale approach the Oscar in the above fight, it sang making the scene very eerie.
Here is a screen as the Oscar launches it spread just after the whale have passed.

Old 12-13-17, 02:14 PM   #8
MRHacksaw
Nub

Downloads: 4
Default removing mods or disabling them

ok , Im a newbie mod user, I got the new beta , and I know it said it would crash some mods, can someone please tell how to remove or disable the mods, so that I can get back to enjoying this game ,

Thanks
Hacksaw
MRHacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 03:02 PM   #9
Capt.Hunt
Loader

Downloads: 9

the easiest way top remove mods is to delete the Override folder.

I just had a couple of crashes in the Campaign. The game goes to a view of the ocean and freezes. The first time occurred immediately following the completion of a TLAM strike at Archangelisk. When I reloaded the autosave it put me back in the same mission, minus all the weapons I expended in the first attempt, causing me to autofail. The second time occurred after I aborted that mission and started moving my sub out of the white sea.

Edit: I had it happen a third time on a SEAL deployment in the same area. Looks to be a problem with encounters in that area.

Last edited by Capt.Hunt; 12-13-17 at 03:50 PM.
Capt.Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 09:16 PM   #10
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

Icon12

Very different and challenging. Like it so far! I'll have to do a video tomorrow hopefully.

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 10:09 PM   #11
subunit
Watch

Downloads: 34

I bought mainly because KF pushed this patch. Game feels pretty complete to me now- too busy evading counterattacks to worry about whether AI is evading in Z plane

Looking forward to the Chinese content, the eventual OPFOR campaign DLCs, Fleet Command-style RTS sequels, etc
subunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 10:28 PM   #12
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Well, it locked up with whatever my Override folder said so I disabled that entirely.

Went into the 1984 and crawled across the Norwegian Sea until I hit an encounter at Norway's northeast cape. I think it was 30 seconds from contact to belly-up on a downward spiral.

Instead of my normal 10kyds out, I went with 25kyards for situation analysis.

No time to evaluate beyond 22%, which is a "yonder that way" when I got my first chance to look at the screen. At that time, two missile torpedoes landed on top of me. Having just hit 16kts, I was at 0kts from the first and 5 seconds later...swimming with the fishes.

I don't think I will play that hardcore simulator again. Will there be a game version coming out?
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 12:25 AM   #13
Erik
Watch

Downloads: 10

1984 campaign in elite difficulty changed from total turkey shoot where the enemy rarely even shoots back(and main threat are the helicopters) to war overnight!

How big of a work would it be to make the surface ships make less drastic maneuvers when they're evading a torpedo? I would get a lot less kills if they mostly ran away and made minor course changes while dropping decoys, instead of making hard turns and letting the much more maneuverable Mk 48 slam their sides.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 01:01 AM   #14
Delfi
Sailor man

Downloads: 74

Hopefully there will be an update to More Playable Subs then.
Delfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 02:52 PM   #15
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

While it's great that the AI is more aggressive now with counter fire. The amount from some of the post (2 spread of 3 torps plus SSN-16) is a bit alarming if it was from the same source. Don't think anyone will fire of 1/3 of your load out on a possible target.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote