SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-29-17, 06:42 PM   #1
jrolson
Watch

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Seawolf Preview

Not sure if posted already.

jrolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-17, 09:03 PM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Huh? You're gonna have to go into more detail than just a picture.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-17, 09:39 PM   #3
zachanscom
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 2

more polygons, especially the bow section, yes yes yes!
zachanscom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-17, 11:28 PM   #4
jrolson
Watch

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
Huh? You're gonna have to go into more detail than just a picture.
It's a preview of the seawolf coming in the 1.09 update.
Old 11-30-17, 01:49 PM   #5
Ighten
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Nice
Old 11-30-17, 02:37 PM   #6
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Thanks for posting! I remember this from Discord but forget that not everyone sees the stuff in there. Boy, she is a beaut.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 03:06 PM   #7
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > jrolson
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 07:40 PM   #8
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolson View Post
It's a preview of the seawolf coming in the 1.09 update.
Ah ok. Cool.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 09:18 PM   #9
MR_AUS
Watch

Downloads: 14

Cool!
Did the Seawolf have a red underside of the hull? I thought they were all black, could be wrong though.
Old 11-30-17, 10:25 PM   #10
Falkirion
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_AUS View Post
Cool!
Did the Seawolf have a red underside of the hull? I thought they were all black, could be wrong though.
You are correct sir, no red hull paint in any of the photos available online of the 3 boats in class.
Falkirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 07:10 PM   #11
C-Wolf
Watch

Having built a more than a few submarine and Seawolf-class 3D models of my own, (see my user profile pics) one suggestion I can offer up to the devs is to lose the DSRV alignment markings (and int'l orange marker distress buoy, if that's what that was intended to be).

The only time those lines are painted to indicate the location of the escape trunks is for initial sea trials and DSRV exercises. It's an error I see repeated often in CG renders and decals on plastic models either due to ignorance or wanting to add "something" to an otherwise bland hull marking scheme. A 6-12" greenish scum line corresponding to the waterline is a nice touch of realism one can add for detailing.

International orange-painted distress buoys, (marked in English and French with a handset inside so any would-be rescuers could listen to us scream) went away in the early 70's; ours were welded into the deck to minimize rattles or accidental deployment and were painted black. They were useless in the majority of the world's oceans due to deep depth and short cable/phone lines.

If life got ugly and events went sideways, we had small buoys that would transmit where (and sort-of how) we bit the co#k. They operated on a timer that was reset during every mid-watch. If the timer wasn't reset, it would launch itself and that would have been a very bad thing. It would also automatically launch if the boat went too deep or took an unrecoverable angle.

"The emergency blow system won't work if we're upside down, but never fear, --the buoy will," we learned to recite whilst qualifying . . .

Sagire, Classis, Destructum!

Last edited by C-Wolf; 01-01-18 at 08:37 AM.
C-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 07:28 AM   #12
supraoptimo
Watch

Downloads: 3

Oh neat, do we have an ETA on this beauty?
supraoptimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 09:08 AM   #13
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

It'll be in with the new SCS campaign.

The model has the red hull, markings and emergency bouy purely because I like my subs with a little visual detail. I'm sure they look like black blobs IRL but this does not make for nice game visuals.

This is what the finished model looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seawolf.jpg (58.0 KB, 166 views)
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 11:21 AM   #14
shocknawe371
Nub

looks fantastic! just one humble request....Could you PLEASE add the side windows on the sail then its perfect!

shocknawe371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 01:26 PM   #15
C-Wolf
Watch

@ shocknawe371: There are no "side windows" on the sail if you're referring to the running lights and sonar projector covers. The sail is cramped enough as it is, so the trunk goes straight to the bridge and everyone gets some salt air, which is a good thing most of the time. . .

@ Julhelm: As for the 21 model, I like the UV, specular, and bump map texturing. The sail access plates are a nice touch. As a professional CG artist, I understand the trade-offs that must be made for gaming with respect to poly count and detailing to ensure memory allocation and smooth game play.

As for the orange marker buoys and DSRV lines that do not exist on the 21 boats, (except as previously noted) I completely understand the desire to add texturing details to what are otherwise bland hulls - Hollywood does this all the time.

But please consider this:

When submariners, (especially sonarmen and tactical officers) give positive feedback that echoes: "This is as close as you can get without going to sea!" and that sort of thing, as a dev, it's difficult to receive much better in the way of accolades. The devil is in the details, since the average player has never experienced life aboard a boat. If there's an obvious error, that's what the knowledgeable people will key in on - it happens to me constantly if I present a render; --someone will key in on the smallest detail I never considered or noticed in the reference material I used. Yeah, you can't please everybody, but I try to avoid the obvious errors whenever possible. I put a fly on the table in the background of a render once, along with some fingerprints on a glass and everyone commented (positively) about that more than the subject in the foreground. It's weird what people key on, but the little details can go a long way toward generating positive buzz about a sim; and that's what ultimately pays the bills.

Other than modeling details, --like a Hollywood movie, --no matter how many tops drop, if the story sucks, it isn't likely to gain traction with an audience. This sim builds on the success of Red Storm Rising, and really does a good job of taking it to the next level - especially in regards to the 3D graphics.

Real-life submarining is pretty darn dull; it's like Groundhog Day without Andie McDowell to hot rack with. This simulation, (I like that description better than "game") expands on the more exciting aspects of a profession we constantly trained for, hoping to never execute for real. Submariners are warriors, not war-mongers.

If I'm shopping for a realistic moon-landing sim and Buzz Aldrin says, "Yup, that's the way it was." I'm more apt to spend my money on it. And that's why I purchased this simulation; on the recommendation of submariners. It's a great way to pass the time when house-bound on a snowy day, (like today) and contemplate how a previous life could have turned out far differently.

My graphics critique about the two items above are meant as a positive observation to improve the authenticity of the sim, not meant as nit-picking. The most memorable ass-chewing we ever received for a render was when the customer stood up in the middle of a meeting and started ranting, "Who authorized you to spend money building this assembly!!!" Once he spun down, the boss calmly explained that it was computer-generated, and as such no hardware had been built. . . Afterwards, the customer came into my office and said he wanted to take the render back with him to show his office how well we understood their requirements. We subsequently won the contract with the help of that one shot.

Realism and great campaigns will keep this sim generating more buzz, and knock it further out of the park. Keep up the good work by keeping it real!

Rest assured I'll be spreading the Good Word for Cold Waters in the meantime through my contact list.

CCC

Sagire, Classis, Destructum!

Last edited by C-Wolf; 01-02-18 at 06:28 PM.
C-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote