SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Pirates & Sailing Ships
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-03-16, 04:35 PM   #31
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0

Wow, those who look around shall find and here is a thread about SM's Pirates! It's been decades since I had it for my C64, spent quite some time trying to get a grasp on the gameplay. Enjoyed it but never figured it out back then to keep playing it. Now that is up for revision as Pirates Gold for DOS turned out to be a disaster, utterly broken and unplayable so I dug out a copy I have of the original SMP for PC to revisit a game I have been wanting to figure out for some time now.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-16, 08:26 AM   #32
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due View Post
Wow, those who look around shall find and here is a thread about SM's Pirates! It's been decades since I had it for my C64, spent quite some time trying to get a grasp on the gameplay. Enjoyed it but never figured it out back then to keep playing it. Now that is up for revision as Pirates Gold for DOS turned out to be a disaster, utterly broken and unplayable so I dug out a copy I have of the original SMP for PC to revisit a game I have been wanting to figure out for some time now.
Oh, boy. If you like pirates, even in general, you'll love this game.
Here are a few tips to get you started.
- In the cities, towns and settlements you'll visit, there are upgrades to your ship you can make. Don't try to memorize where the different upgrades are; each time you start a game the upgrades switch cities.
- Just because a ship is large, doesn't mean it's a good warship. For example, the Royal Sloops is regarded as the best ship in the game because of it's small size, maneuverability, and firepower (20+ cannon)
- Yes, you should buy the treasure maps the traveler in the corner offers you

Hope I helped out a bit. Enjoy the game
CaptainRamius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-16, 09:43 AM   #33
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRamius View Post
Oh, boy. If you like pirates, even in general, you'll love this game.
Here are a few tips to get you started.
- In the cities, towns and settlements you'll visit, there are upgrades to your ship you can make. Don't try to memorize where the different upgrades are; each time you start a game the upgrades switch cities.
- Just because a ship is large, doesn't mean it's a good warship. For example, the Royal Sloops is regarded as the best ship in the game because of it's small size, maneuverability, and firepower (20+ cannon)

Hope I helped out a bit. Enjoy the game
Are we talking about the original or the remake?

I played the original quite a lot and have looked into it now but upgrades for ships? That is a new one. Sure that isn't in the remake?
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 02:14 PM   #34
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due View Post
Are we talking about the original or the remake?

I played the original quite a lot and have looked into it now but upgrades for ships? That is a new one. Sure that isn't in the remake?
It's in the remake. I though that's what we were talking about

EDIT: My bad, just re-read your post. Didn't see that you were talking about the original SMP. My mistake.
CaptainRamius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-16, 07:49 AM   #35
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRamius View Post

I remember wasting many many hours trying to find the treasure despite being too cheap to buy another section of the map.
Old 12-31-17, 08:27 AM   #36
komi
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

Haven't played it in ages since it won't run on my computer, but I had a blast with it back in the day. Used to go all posh and roll around in Treasure Galleons with a character mod that gave my captain a moustache worthy of Poirot :P
komi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 10:54 AM   #37
Murph89
Watch

Downloads: 15

This is a really fun game. Easy to find yourself immersed in the whole pirate theme for a few hours.
Murph89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-18, 05:27 PM   #38
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

I just picked up a perfect preowned disc of Pirates! (with manual) by 2K Games "Feral Legends" for Mac.

Copyright on the edge is 2005-2008, so I'm not sure how this one ranks. But it's going to get played this time