SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-12-14, 07:35 AM   #1
Herr Eeguy
Watch

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Asking for assignments

I like to be given patrol assignments, gives me something specific to do PLUS as far as I understand the completion of them adds Renown and other benefits. I usually like to complete 5 or 6 before I go on a "shooting spree" with whatever torps and deck gun ammo I have left. Here I am on my 4th patrol, have completed 3 assignments, "phoned home" my current patrol status several times and have NOT received any more additional assignments. I KNOW this early in the war that there HAS to be something to do, someplace to go Is HQ just too busy to answer my calls or is this (lack on new, additional patrol assignments) just something the game does??

Any info is appreciated, thanks

Herr Eeguy (Yep, it's a phonetic name alright LOL - I'm bald, so....)
Herr Eeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 06:13 PM   #2
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Depending on how I feel, I'll either ask for a new assignment or just go out on my own. Sometimes, there are no specific orders. Then, I just go out, find a choke point and wait.
fireftr18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 07:29 PM   #3
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Eeguy View Post
I like to be given patrol assignments, gives me something specific to do PLUS as far as I understand the completion of them adds Renown and other benefits. I usually like to complete 5 or 6 before I go on a "shooting spree" ........
Whoa, that's a lot!

I would be satisfied with 2 or 3, at the most. If an area was important enough to justify you being sent there in the first place, then it is likely you would be expected to patrol for weeks before being rerouted (unless something urgent happened to pop up).
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 08:54 AM   #4
Herr Eeguy
Watch

Downloads: 40

ya, if the patrol time is over and I wire in and they don't give me anything new I leave that zone and go searchin' shiver me timbers
Herr Eeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 10:27 AM   #5
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Shortly after SH4's release there was a theory developed that I think was confirmed about Objectives versus Tonnage.

The theory went that there were two tracking mechanisms running in the background. If you completed your objectives you would stay in line for promotion or new construction boats. Tonnage got you "renown" which you could use to upgrade your existing crew and/or boat.

If you repeatedly failed or ignored your objectives you would be beached after 3 or 4 patrols, no matter what your tonnage. On the other hand, even if you scored zero tonnage, a track record of successful completion of objectives would get you promoted or a new construction boat.

Or that's how the theory went.

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 07:53 PM   #6
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

That's interesting.

It sure does fly in the face of the renown is everything school of thought.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote