SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-10-17, 04:27 AM   #4141
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Here ya go, max. As requested.

IJN Warships jpg
Got it - thanks mate

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 07:17 AM   #4142
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Yeah, I'm not gonna get to it tonight for max-peck there, cdrsubron7, I've taken ill and am just checking in...

CapnScurvy, the TC does stop at 2048, as intended, but every once in a while, like twice a cruise (??), when changing stations, the TC does NOT drop back down. I was on a 16x while on the chart screen, watching my turn, lining up a shot approach, went to the periscope and the scope was ~UP~! But the world was bouncing all over the place like crazy. Then I noticed the TC was still at 16x. That would explain the periscope appearing to have been up. It just went up really fast... Went back to the chart, and went to 1x. Had it earlier in a Single Mission with similar circumstances, where changing stations does not drop the TC back. This is useful under some circumstances, but not all, of course .

As for the collision stuff, from what I've seen at Pearl and Brisbane, and now at Dutch Harbor and Truk, when a vessel backs up, neither it nor the victim seem to realize that there has been a collision. I've got a screenie downstairs I can post tomorrow of a PT boat at Dutch Harbor doing all kinds of weird across the bay... then at Truk, these ships, merchants and warship alike, are constantly running into the "reefs", standing still for 5-10 minutes, then backing up for miles at a time, to only then pull forward on just a slightly changed bearing, right back into the same situation they were in previously, sometimes worse. Heaven forbid if there's another vessel behind them when they reverse, or you can end up with what's shown above. The odd thing is, if either one tries to pull ahead, they will start the destructive process and start taking damage... Transparent sterns?...

Finally, s7rikeback... that's the same Yubari we've had issues with before, isn't it? I still can't figure out why the Pensacola doesn't "spawn" in an RGG. Get all kinds of the other CA, but I haven't seen a Pensacola in forever...

Yes it is, but I'm 99% sure we had it sorted after we found that issue ?

I have put a fix in place for the guns again, and have asked the good Capn to take look before I publish it.

I'm at Brisbane now, lots of Kent Classes, Northampton Class but as you said no Pensicola's to be seen... This is my fifth visit to brisbane in the last 24 hrs (RL) I going to head towards Truk next and see who's at the party and who's behaving nicely..
Old 03-10-17, 07:37 AM   #4143
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
CapnScurvy, the TC does stop at 2048, as intended, but every once in a while, like twice a cruise (??), when changing stations, the TC does NOT drop back down. I was on a 16x while on the chart screen, watching my turn, lining up a shot approach, went to the periscope and the scope was ~UP~! But the world was bouncing all over the place like crazy. Then I noticed the TC was still at 16x. That would explain the periscope appearing to have been up. It just went up really fast... Went back to the chart, and went to 1x.
That sounds like a familiar stock game issue with Time Compression. You run it up to a high setting, but when action starts (more rendering of object models...convoy appearance; harbors etc.) you can't bring it down in a timely manner. It's like the game cycles through its rendering of information, and gets choked when you add something to its information digestion, like asking it to lower the TC. I believe this is more related to the game's engine that works in the background than anything else. There's not much we can do about that, except to have the bits of information that are feed into the cycle, as streamlined as possible....like having smaller image sizes when an object is rendered (use .dds, not .tga etc). The shear numbers of ships can make a difference too. FOTRS Ultimate has a lot of ships, putting a large group together in a convoy may be the worst thing we can do. We need to keep them simple. Besides, from what I've read, the Japanese didn't run convoys of over a handful of ships anyway. Nothing like what was done in the Atlantic. Keep it authentic, the game will run better.

Also, that's another good reason to NOT allow Time Compression to get above the Maximum setting of 2048. The faster the cycle, the less capable the game engine is to function as expected.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 03-10-17 at 07:50 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 08:40 AM   #4144
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Sounds logical Capn... At the time it happened the one time, it was a patrol to the Marshalls, and I took a detour to Truk, and found a half-dozen vessels run-aground in various places, the harbors a mess, etc. The last time was that single mission with the daylight screenies with the merged vessels really close by, and other strangeness just to the West of the hill in the port, and I had just torpedoed that merchant, it was sinking and really ablaze, so the game was dealing with quite a bit. It was "hiccuping" quite frequently too, like I was gonna see me some airplanes in just a bit... - I do have to get me back to the lah-bore-uh-tore-ee and do me some further "testing" and make certain my data is valid... ahem.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 09:02 AM   #4145
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Sounds logical Capn... At the time it happened the one time, it was a patrol to the Marshalls, and I took a detour to Truk, and found a half-dozen vessels run-aground in various places, the harbors a mess, etc. The last time was that single mission with the daylight screenies with the merged vessels really close by, and other strangeness just to the West of the hill in the port, and I had just torpedoed that merchant, it was sinking and really ablaze, so the game was dealing with quite a bit. It was "hiccuping" quite frequently too, like I was gonna see me some airplanes in just a bit... - I do have to get me back to the lah-bore-uh-tore-ee and do me some further "testing" and make certain my data is valid... ahem.
Truk has been a mess. I think that's why the stock game never got into putting ships actually in the harbor, least none that moved. Docked ships I think are Ok. I'd have to open up the stock .mis files again, but as I remember the stock ships never entered the harbor. They spawned outside of the reefs (either coming or going), and were never put inside. The reason, the games terrain model made the water too shallow to operate in. Guys looked at Truk and said, "that's not right, lets add some ships in there"! Its been trouble ever since.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 09:31 AM   #4146
propbeanie

I've been noodling with the "Carotio_SH4_TrukCoralHarbourCityLocations" mod, and it does offer a partial solution to that, if we leave out the reefs and sub nets that are added in (the ships can't get over the sub nets!!! ). The main parts I'm interested in for it are the "dredging" of the channels with the GWX Terrain tool, and the placement of the docks in Campaign_LOC.mis, which I'm trying to figure-out which is which. Then maybe get the traffic routes moved to where they "follow" the channels, instead of playing bumper cars in there, stealing much needed computer resources... A lot of the other harbors in the game that were empty in stock have the same issue. Much too shallow for vessels to spawn and then move. I'm about worn-out, trying to move ships around to where they work reasonably well, and yet have like the CA lay on its side in Brisbane...

Old 03-10-17, 10:34 AM   #4147
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14

What does FOTRS actually "do?" I've been playing with it for sometime (got it activated in JSGME) but I don't see what is different.
Old 03-10-17, 12:18 PM   #4148
s7rikeback
I break things

Default It's raining men...

January 3rd 1943

Just leaving Pearl, for Truk & Brisbane and starting outside the harbor, all of a sudden two aircraft crash or collide and it's raining men and parachutes.

Nice soft glows of flares sailing past my sub... pretty !!!

Sorry for the bad picture, but my AMD machine will not allow me to take ingame pictures...
Old 03-10-17, 01:49 PM   #4149
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicheBach View Post
What does FOTRS actually "do?" I've been playing with it for sometime (got it activated in JSGME) but I don't see what is different.
Hey!
Welcome to subsim! What does FORTS do? Well, sorry I don't have time to cover it all. But one thing for sure is that it is a work in progress. You can see what happens when a great group of people that have talent and they work together to solve problems that even the designers of the game didn't complete. They have taken a mod and in remembering his work that he wasn't' able to complete, to become one of the best, if not the best mod for SH4! And when they are done with the core mod, you will be able to add to this mod other parts that are compatible with it so you don't have to worry about mod soup. And all the different ships' more than any other mod! Just a couple of things on top of my head.
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8

Last edited by Larrywb57; 03-10-17 at 05:14 PM.
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 02:00 PM   #4150
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
January 3rd 1943

Just leaving Pearl, for Truk & Brisbane and starting outside the harbor, all of a sudden two aircraft crash or collide and it's raining men and parachutes.

Nice soft glows of flares sailing past my sub... pretty !!!

Sorry for the bad picture, but my AMD machine will not allow me to take ingame pictures...
That little sunken ship icon in the shallows is probably one of the plane crashes... Was it a P-51 Mustang running into one of the B-17 bombers?... - Is that you coming back to try to "rescue" them? I'd tried rescuing the PBY crew up at Dutch Harbor the other day, but I could never find the dudes... I have no idea why the PBY crashed, other than pilot ineptitude, but they are set to "Veteran" - or maybe, it ran out of fuel from too much looping, so I dunno...

@ DicheBach, Fall of the Rising Sun was created by the AOTD_MadMax team a few years ago, and is a mod based on TMO v1.7. It has a few environmental changes added, but has a lot more ships and planes. It probably has more than most other mods for SH4. The "difficulty" of play is between Stock and insanity, dependent upon what you encounter, leaning more to a setting more difficult than TMO. All we're trying to do on the team is combine the old v1.3 and v2.0, merging the best of both, and update some of the interface. There are a ~lot~ of CapnScurvy updates to the optics, and s7rikeback working with Jeff-Groves got the ship and plane catalog very stable. There will be another updated version coming out sometime soon, so stay tuned to this channel for further updates!...

Old 03-10-17, 02:45 PM   #4151
s7rikeback
I break things

Default Thunderbirds are go.

Quote:
That little sunken ship icon in the shallows is probably one of the plane crashes... Was it a P-51 Mustang running into one of the B-17 bombers?... - Is that you coming back to try to "rescue" them? I'd tried rescuing the PBY crew up at Dutch Harbor the other day, but I could never find the dudes... I have no idea why the PBY crashed, other than pilot ineptitude, but they are set to "Veteran" - or maybe, it ran out of fuel from too much looping, so I dunno...

@ DicheBach, Fall of the Rising Sun was created by the AOTD_MadMax team a few years ago, and is a mod based on TMO v1.7. It has a few environmental changes added, but has a lot more ships and planes. It probably has more than most other mods for SH4. The "difficulty" of play is between Stock and insanity, dependent upon what you encounter, leaning more to a setting more difficult than TMO. All we're trying to do on the team is combine the old v1.3 and v2.0, merging the best of both, and update some of the interface. There are a ~lot~ of CapnScurvy updates to the optics, and s7rikeback working with Jeff-Groves got the ship and plane catalog very stable. There will be another updated version coming out sometime soon, so stay tuned to this channel for further updates!...
Well i tried to, but i could not find any flag or prompt to make me able to collect the poor fellows...
Old 03-10-17, 02:58 PM   #4152
s7rikeback
I break things

Default Their not dressed...

ok,

3 hrs south east of Truk and it's again raining men and parachutes...
2 x Zero's buzzed me, i tried to crash dive (C) but the key would not respond...

I hit the depth gauge and plumitted to the depths, stayed down for an hour, then surfaced and bang... two zero's fall out the sky...

Do we have a worldwide fuel shortage, i don't know about ?!?!?

That's now 4 planes, that have just nosed dive or collided...

Again sorry for picture quality - my AMD system will not take in game pictures.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx

I'm in the twilight zone...

2 IJN Warships just on horizon..

Old 03-10-17, 03:16 PM   #4153
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quick question for the team

Looking through all the screenies of our IJN units (thanks Subron and Strikeback), I have noticed a few of the new units sporting a green paintjob
(Seems to be on Carriers and Battleships)

I was planning on doing the IJN in mixtures of greys and grey dazzles

However if we have any evidence that the IJN also used green I will add these in also

Just deciding in advance how I am going to tackle this

What does everyone think?

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 03-10-17, 03:19 PM   #4154
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicheBach View Post
Rockin Robins posted a pretty good summary a few pages back
Gimme a few hours and I may be able to find it for you

EDIT
Found it - post 3938
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=3938

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 03-10-17, 03:40 PM   #4155
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
Quick question for the team

Looking through all the screenies of our IJN units (thanks Subron and Strikeback), I have noticed a few of the new units sporting a green paintjob
(Seems to be on Carriers and Battleships)

I was planning on doing the IJN in mixtures of greys and grey dazzles

However if we have any evidence that the IJN also used green I will add these in also

Just deciding in advance how I am going to tackle this

What does everyone think?

Follow the link below, max. It might help you some.

http://www.aeronautic.dk/MarineArtgallery-T-Yuki.htm

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote