SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-19-18, 03:03 PM   #1
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 7
Default Torpedo speed setting question

I was doing some research a while ago and ran across this on Wiki regarding the G7a torpedoes:

"The torpedo was of a straight-running unguided design, controlled by a gyroscope. The TI was of variable speed, running a distance of 5,000 m at 81 km/h (5,500 yd at 44kt), 7,500 m at 74 km/h (8,250 yd at 40 kt), and 12,000 m at 55.6 km/h (13,200 yd at 30 kt). The 44 kt setting was used only by torpedo boats like the Schnellboote on torpedoes with reinforced engine."

Since then I don't select the 44 kt speed, but that's my personal choice. I'm curious, however, if anyone else has encountered this tidbit.
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 03:55 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

I use this setting when in close. If they see the bubbles, it would be too late to evade due to the torp speed.

In a convoy attack, these settings are essential for timing your torps to hit multiple, varied, distance ships at the same time.
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 05:47 PM   #3
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92
Uploads: 0

Great pickup schlechter pfennig. I also found this a few months ago and like you I now never use the 44kt setting in the interests of trying to be authentic. As to whether this information is accurate on the other hand I don't know. This "reinforced engine" variant isn't mentioned in the other variants listing, but it also says:

"44kn was to be used by S-Boote (problems with initial design lead to breakdown on motors running 44 kn, so this setting was banned until the new engine was available"

If it's true I wonder why only the Schnellboote was so equiped. Can't think of a reason.
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 07:53 PM   #4
Fanuboat
Torpedoman

Downloads: 51

U boat commandant in 39 45 used high torp speedfor long distance target.

And anyway about bubbles, they where mostly attacking at night this way no one wont see any bubbles in the surface.
Old 03-21-18, 11:52 AM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

There is a bug in the TDC that causes lead angles not to be updated when you switch between selected tubes with different torpedo types set to different speeds, i.e. T1 and T2. So it is best to set all of them to the common speed, lest you mess up your aiming. Whatever reality was like , this is more important to avoid in my opinion.

p.s. Scuttlebutt (or what is the german equivalent of navy gossip?) says it isn't so easy to modify the T1 torpedo speed controlling hardware. Atleast not on the fly. So this seems a reasonable realism limitation to do.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-18, 06:14 PM   #6
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Pisces, do not know if I understood your last paragraph, but if it is about if the torpedo speed could be changed via the TDC or not, it could be.

The torpedo speed vt and quotient of the target and torpedo speed vgvt was entered by means of the knobs.
In the early versions of the calculator, the torpedo speed knob could be set only in three positions (30, 40, or 44 knots – the speed of the steam torpedoes G7a then in service could be set to these values, while the electric torpedoes G7e could cruise only at the speed of 30 knots). The quotient vgvt
and the torpedo speed vt were given as inputs of the multiplier unit ( ), which calculated the target speed vg indicated by the dial. After setting the desired torpedo speed, the operator turned the knob responsible for setting the quotient of the target and torpedo speed, to make the pointer of the target speed dial show the correct value.
Thereby, instead of using the complex dividing unit for calculating the quotient, the much simpler multiplier unit could be used.
In the later version of the calculator, the target and torpedo speed were shown by the compound dial. The torpedo speed could be set to any value in the range 10 to 46 knots. This was due to adjusting the calculator’s construction for usage with the LUT and acoustic G7e torpedoes.

From: http://www.tvre.org/en/torpedo-calculator-t-vh-re-s3

Last edited by Rhodes; 03-22-18 at 05:37 AM.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-18, 07:00 PM   #7
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Quick tip in setting several torpedoes to the same setting...

Set your TDC to salvo shooting...
Select the tubes you want.

Set the torps how you want.

Select single shooting again.
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-18, 07:28 AM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

I meant that the torpedo-mechanic couldn't change the speed of the torpedo on the fly in the tubes. Surely the real-life TDC could be adjusted for different torpedo speeds on demand. But I have understood from reports made here on the silent Hunter forums (by real life submariners/torpedo mechanics or those that did the research) that torpedo-mechanics would need to adjust something mechanically internal on the torpedo. This wouldn't be possible if it is already in the tube and flooded.

In the game however, you can flip the switch whenever you want. But the TDC won't calculate with the proper speed when you select a different tube with a different speed setting.
Old 03-22-18, 08:46 AM   #9
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
I meant that the torpedo-mechanic couldn't change the speed of the torpedo on the fly in the tubes.
That's the reason I don't change pistol settings during an attack, but only prior to one, because it was a decidedly involved process to change the pistols. It wasn't as easy as flipping a switch. However, I never knew that the speed settings were just as involved, I'd always thought it has something to do with the internal gearing, or somesuch, that could be adjustable while in the tube, much the same way as depth and gyro settings were.

Thanks to you, I'll now be setting the speeds ahead of time and, if it winds up being less than optimal at that point, owell.

Thanks for the info! Very much appreciated!
Old 03-22-18, 10:02 AM   #10
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
I meant that the torpedo-mechanic couldn't change the speed of the torpedo on the fly in the tubes. Surely the real-life TDC could be adjusted for different torpedo speeds on demand. But I have understood from reports made here on the silent Hunter forums (by real life submariners/torpedo mechanics or those that did the research) that torpedo-mechanics would need to adjust something mechanically internal on the torpedo. This wouldn't be possible if it is already in the tube and flooded.
I see, so the torpedo speed setting knob in the TDC was just to input a valour for calculation and didn't had any rod or connection to the torpedo.
Reading from the site I posted I got the idea of when selecting the speed of a torpedo, it was connected and so it would change directly.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-18, 10:19 AM   #11
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Default Something interesting about the TDC

Something interesting about the TDC:

"The heart of the torpedo fire control system was the torpedo calculator designated T. Vh. Re. S3, manufactured by the Siemens Company . . .

The development of this calculator started around the year 1939. In 1941 it was (together with the whole torpedo fire control system) delivered to the Kriegsmarine for testing. In the same year – after successfully passing all tests – the newly manufactured calculators were fitted in the front-going U-Boats.
From 1941 when the calculator entered service, till the end of the war, there were some modifications to its construction." (http://www.tvre.org/en/torpedo-calculator-t-vh-re-s3)

The TDC which appears in-game is this TDC. But this TDC didn't enter service, according to the aforementioned article, until 1941, two years after the war started.
Old 03-22-18, 11:51 AM   #12
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlechter pfennig View Post
...However, I never knew that the speed settings were just as involved, I'd always thought it has something to do with the internal gearing, or somesuch, that could be adjustable while in the tube, much the same way as depth and gyro settings were....
To be honest, I might be mixing those two reasons up. My source is hear-say and from memory years old.

I have to admit that I am guilty of claiming this real-life restrictions with as much evidence as a 'flat earther' usually defends his/her's opinion. Don't take my statement serious for fact. It sounded reasonable and in line with workarounds for the game bug. But I could certainly be wrong.
Old 03-22-18, 11:54 AM   #13
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
I see, so the torpedo speed setting knob in the TDC was just to input a valour for calculation and didn't had any rod or connection to the torpedo.
Reading from the site I posted I got the idea of when selecting the speed of a torpedo, it was connected and so it would change directly.
See my latest reply. I might have mixed up the detonator pistol procedures with this topic.
Old 03-22-18, 12:00 PM   #14
Slammin Sam
Nub

Downloads: 30
Icon14

Hey fellow submarine enthusiasts! I'm Sam, master of the high seas. I practically grew up with Silent Hunter 2, and I really enjoy learning about submarines and how they work. Happy hunting!
Slammin Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-18, 12:41 PM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back

Slammin Sam!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote