SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-21-18, 02:49 PM   #4531
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Well, I'm sure you've read all about having the crew at Battle Stations too long, or being on Silent Running, etc. Another suggestion from the "days of old" was to remove a mod and then put it back in. Is Bigger Better Protractors still listed in dark text in JSGME, indicating it hasn't been overwritten? If so, that would be a good candidate to try.

One problem we still encounter doing FotRSU is 'bad' dates, such as February 29, or April 31. Any month with 30 days or less is a potential problem. Then there are the overlaps, where the terminating day for the old equipment is after the start date for the new. Those are the reasons some suggest staying out longer. Unfortunately, you as the player, have no easy way of finding out which date (if it is a date) is causing the trouble, nor which piece of gear it is - if it's gear...

The amount of extra time you stay out might have to be based upon getting past the end of the month, if you're into September... Can't be doing no upgrades on September 31st, 1944 - if that's what the root cause is...
thanks for the suggestions. the current situation is at the start of a patrol so there is no fatigue to consider. the previous mission ended during july and both july and august are 31 day months so the date-keeping should not be messed up.

i am listing towards the equipment changes as the root cause but how in the H do i track down all of the changes? i know there are equipment dates in the sub.UPC, UnitParts.UPC, UpgradePacks.UPC, and god-knows-where-else. can you suggest a process/procedure to follow...other than start with the first file and walk through every date change? {weeping icon here}

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-18, 02:55 PM   #4532
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Reed View Post

Another thing, I had previously experimented with FOTRS Ultimate (none of these files are in my current install, wiped it clean for TMO) and like the radar PPI station. I am sad that the TMO PPI scope is so bland and not as useful. Any idea about what FOTRS Ultimate did with the PPI and if it could be ported to TMO 2.5 without breaking things?
TMO uses Nisgeis radar mod, which gives you a fully functioning radar using the PPI and A-scope, any mods you install will most likely disable that mod.

more info on Nisgeis mod. It takes some getting use to, but completely changes night time surface attacks.

http://subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=170944
Old 03-22-18, 05:14 PM   #4533
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Well, I'm sure you've read all about having the crew at Battle Stations too long, or being on Silent Running, etc. Another suggestion from the "days of old" was to remove a mod and then put it back in. Is Bigger Better Protractors still listed in dark text in JSGME, indicating it hasn't been overwritten? If so, that would be a good candidate to try.

One problem we still encounter doing FotRSU is 'bad' dates, such as February 29, or April 31. Any month with 30 days or less is a potential problem. Then there are the overlaps, where the terminating day for the old equipment is after the start date for the new. Those are the reasons some suggest staying out longer. Unfortunately, you as the player, have no easy way of finding out which date (if it is a date) is causing the trouble, nor which piece of gear it is - if it's gear...

The amount of extra time you stay out might have to be based upon getting past the end of the month, if you're into September... Can't be doing no upgrades on September 31st, 1944 - if that's what the root cause is...
i am stumped...out of ideas. i've checked the dates on all of the equipment, upgrades...everything seems to be in order. i have unloaded and reloaded all of the mods which solved nothing.

the only change(s) made were by SH4 between patrols...and my crew went from being happy and compliant to non-compliant and mutinous. no more shore leave for this crew. count the strawberries again.....

LAA enabled
Old 03-23-18, 10:11 AM   #4534
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Make 'em count the strawberry ~seeds~...

The 'date' issue is throughout ~all~ the files, including the CareerStart & Flotillas UPC files (as well as boat CFG files). Those UPC files control overall sub availability, and can really mess with a person's sanity when trying to chase things down.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-18, 04:11 PM   #4535
Geoff then
Gunner

Downloads: 63

So, I now have a more deeper question in terms of files and customization. I tried to get the "Stock" Version of the Gato Skin back into TMO 2.5, but the included NSS_Gato_N01.dds file (the one that is used by the "normal maps" option, which only creates these highlights on the holes of the superstructure etc) is customized to fit the tambor/gar/gato textures naturally added by TMO 2.5. My question now is: does anybody know about an existing NSS_Gato_N01.dds file that matches the originial (and i think historically more accurate) skin?

best regards, your geoff
Old 03-27-18, 01:42 PM   #4536
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default constant whirl

pb,

here is another crazy, unexpected feature of TMOwTW 2.5.

last time we chatted, i was mid-career with a Balao class that would not comply to orders. ok, i couldn't troubleshoot that sufficiently so i moved on and started a new career, mid-1944 with a Balao things worked great: a couple of successful patrols and then, bang, i am presented with a boat upgrade. never been upgraded from a Balao before so this was kind of neat. took off on my next patrol (tench boat) and the first time i use my periscope it is doing spin-o-rama. WTF! the view is spinning clockwise but the scope is not moving. get it: the scope direction is static at whatever direction it is pointing but the view is spinning. holy mother of pearl! it's not a keystroke stuck because that would have affected the direction of the 'scope which does not change.

what do you think would cause this?

LAA enabled
Old 03-27-18, 02:40 PM   #4537
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

The spinning view is probably being caused by the ST Radar that's mounted in the head of the periscope on the Tench. Now, I don't know which periscope its in on the "Training Wheels" mod, or anything else that's connected with it, but I'm suspecting that's the trouble.

The Tench is a modded sub (not a Stock game unit), and the ST Radar (where the Radar antenna is in the periscope head) IS a stock game entry that was never correctly added to the game by the developers. or most mods that tried. So, someone's combination of the two is what's causing the issue.

For a good working ST Radar in late war.......Fotrs Ultimate is the mod to use.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 03:29 PM   #4538
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
The spinning view is probably being caused by the ST Radar that's mounted in the head of the periscope on the Tench. Now, I don't know which periscope its in on the "Training Wheels" mod, or anything else that's connected with it, but I'm suspecting that's the trouble.

The Tench is a modded sub (not a Stock game unit), and the ST Radar (where the Radar antenna is in the periscope head) IS a stock game entry that was never correctly added to the game by the developers. or most mods that tried. So, someone's combination of the two is what's causing the issue.

For a good working ST Radar in late war.......Fotrs Ultimate is the mod to use.
scurv,
thanks for the quick reply.
going with your suggestion, if the boat is submerged, why would the ST-radar be turning? just asking.....
if i edited the Savegame.upc and commented out the ST-radar will that fix the issue? or is there a more elegant fix for this?

mb

LAA enabled
Old 03-28-18, 07:50 AM   #4539
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
............ if the boat is submerged, why would the ST-radar be turning? just asking.....
Because, the whole thing is messed up.

Quote:
..........if i edited the Savegame.upc and commented out the ST-radar will that fix the issue? or is there a more elegant fix for this?
Sorry MB, I'm not going to open up TMOwTW 2.5 to figure it out. I just know that mods like TMO; RSRDC and others tried to add the ST Radar (since it was somewhat added by the Stock game) but it still didn't perform correctly (no better than what the Stock game did with it).

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-18, 02:13 PM   #4540
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

TMOwTW is kind of an introduction to TMO, I don't think it was meant to be a long term mod, and users typically move on to TMO. You can edit your files to get your map contacts and tails back in TMO if that's what you want. Nothing wrong with that.

Ducimus has several support files in the Support folder and one describes how to do it.

If you really like TMOwTW, next time you are in port go back to the Improved SJ radar. The ST isn't worth the effort/work to get it working right - especially with FOTRSU coming up and already playable.

TMO has its own campaign based on TMO's and Taters campaign layers. A lot of players think they need RSRD. You don't, plus with RSRD you have foreknowledge. For example you know YAMATO is leaving Truk on such and such date and will sail west. With RSRD you are playing RSRD, its boat settings, visuals, other settings, and its campaign, not TMO.

RSRD is a good campaign based on actual reports of when Convoys & Task Forces sailed from point A to B, etc. so you have many options; TMOwTW & SJ radar, TMO, TMO & RSRD, and FOTRSU is out there too, it is playable, and already is a big 'hit'.

Whatever you decide, Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 02:41 AM   #4541
Psyentific
Nub

Downloads: 11

In case anybody was wondering, the crush depth of a Gar is a whopping 590 feet. Also, the sea outside Pearl Harbour is about 1400 feet deep. It's a bit funny how your starting Gar can all but bottom out her depth gauge no sweat, but I ain't complaining.

Sorry Grayback! Trust me, it's for our own good
Psyentific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 04:55 PM   #4542
zeus
Lieutenant

Downloads: 953
Default IA with RSRDC 502 (tmo2.5)

DO you know if with the mod RSRDC 502 actived it reduces the IA dds?
I think it makes easier.
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-18, 07:16 PM   #4543
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Because, the whole thing is messed up.

Sorry MB, I'm not going to open up TMOwTW 2.5 to figure it out. I just know that mods like TMO; RSRDC and others tried to add the ST Radar (since it was somewhat added by the Stock game) but it still didn't perform correctly (no better than what the Stock game did with it).
scurv,

i forgot to say: thank you.
i solved it by editing the upc and retrofitting the previous version of the surface radar.

just finished that career. it was fun. looking for the next mod to play with. i played Fotrs Ultimate prior to TMOwTW. have to find one of the other supermods that i havent played in a while.

LAA enabled
Old 10-04-18, 08:07 AM   #4544
EddieLyons
Watch

Downloads: 72
Default Question about neutrality

Hi, guys,

I've been something of a lurker on Subsim for a few years now. On and off I've played Silent Hunter 2 and Destroyer Command for many, many years. Loved both of them! But, recently I decided to "upgrade" to Silent Hunter 4 -- only about ten years late!

I installed vanilla 1.5 and playing it for a few weeks to familiarise myself with it, and to browse Subsim to see which supermod would best suit my approach to gameplay -- which is maximum "realism", at least as far as a PC game can allow. I settled on TMO, and have installed TMO 2.5.

I also like to get in some "peacetime" sailing, so I added Pre-Pearl Harbor for TMO.

I like to start at the beginning, and at the bottom (so to speak), so my career begins at Manila on an S-class Pig Boat. After being deployed first to waters off the west coast of the Philippines for a couple of days, I got orders to patrol the South China Sea on anti-shipping operations. This was still some days before 7 Dec (so the "anti-shipping" wording was a bit of a surprise). So, I plotted a course to the new patrol area, and decided that since it was within the specified radius of operations, I would do a recon of shipping in Taipei harbour. On my run in towards Taipei, I got word of the attack on PH, and the order to wage unrestricted warfare on Japanese shipping.

So, when I got in range of shipping in the harbour, after dark on 7 Dec 1941, I managed to get torpedo hits on two stationary ships, one of which sank. When that ship sank, I got the message "Neutral unit destroyed". I double checked the flag on that vessel to make sure (it was in shallow water at the docks, so the superstructure was still visible) and it definitely flew a Japanese flag.

So, my question is:

How does SH4 model the International Date Line, and how does that affect the date in use east and west of that line?

We all know that Hawaii is east of the IDL, so the Japanese attack on PH was on 7 Dec. However, west of the IDL, the date was the following day, so in Japan, the Philippines, Australia, etc, the date of the attack on PH was 8 Dec. So, sinking a Japanese ship west of the IDL on 7 Dec 1941 is technically one day before the war started, which would account for the "Neutral unit destroyed" message I received.

I know that in another thread I read several weeks ago somewhere on Subsim, there was a mention that Japanese warships tend to ignore American vessels on 7 Dec, and don't become hostile until 8 Dec. This would suggest that at least some parts of SH4 correctly model the local date for the start of hostilities west of the IDL, but the campaigns don't seem to model this in terms of the messages and orders received, which are one day too early if you are west of the IDL. (I had the same thing in the stock campaign when I played a few patrols to learn the ropes before I installed TMO.)

Is there any correction for this date discrepancy that would be compatible with TMO 2.5 and the Pre-PH campaign start?
EddieLyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 08:19 AM   #4545
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Welcome

Ahoy @EddieLyons