SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-21-16, 06:50 PM   #1
InvisibleDeath
Loader

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 0
Default Is there a patch to make air patrols around Japan realistic?

I'm running a campaign that is based in the East China Sea. At times there are so many planes in the air (as high as 14 at a time) that based on this article, this is so totally unrealistic. Is there a patch that will make the air patrols realistic so that I don't feel like I'm taking my sub through a modern International Airport???
InvisibleDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 07:07 PM   #2
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

Are you running the stock game or any of the mods? Even a modest mod like Game Fixes Only (GFO) addresses the skies dark with Japanese aircraft problem.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 07:40 PM   #3
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleDeath View Post
I'm running a campaign that is based in the East China Sea. At times there are so many planes in the air (as high as 14 at a time) that based on this article, this is so totally unrealistic. Is there a patch that will make the air patrols realistic so that I don't feel like I'm taking my sub through a modern International Airport???
Webster's Better Air Patrols for v1.4 and v1.5

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152885
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-16, 02:42 AM   #4
Gibus
Ensign

Downloads: 42

A commander who complained of the omnipresence of the Japanese air force, Admiral Charles Lockwood said something like this:
"If the enemy harassing you is that you interfere with it. Instead of whining, harass him, too."
To reduce the frequency of patrols, you can also play with Trigger Maru Overhaul, or retrieve his AirStrike.cfg file.

"Pacific is a big ocean. You don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
Dick O'Kane
Gibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-16, 12:13 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Ouch. The ONLY reason we whine about air patrols is time compression. That is one interesting article but reading sub reports is a much better analysis of what patrols were out there and how frequently they were seen.

Based on these, we don't have too many air patrols. Based on my , these air patrols are not dangerous, nor to they hinder your efforts to patrol an area to develop targets.

Aim #1 of submarining is never to be seen by an enemy unit. #2 is never be seen by an enemy unit, and #3 is never be seen by an enemy unit. But in my video I allowed myself to be seen, resulting in the swarm from hell. They are not dangerous and can be dealt with routinely during the day or so they swarm you.

If you're seen airplanes are called in from everywhere in range. This is sorta like what would happen in reality.

When Tang was being harrassed by radar equipped planes, Dick O'Kane, left the area saying that they had become "the hunted rather than the hunter."

Many captains, including Dudley Morton had standing orders that on sighting a plane the captain was to be called to the bridge ot observe and order a dive if necessary. Unless directly under attack the OOD did not have authority to dive. Why? Because sighting airplanes was a very frequent occurrence and submerging on every airplane sighting would render the submarine both unable to attack and to defend itself.

Conclusion: there are not too many airplanes in SH4. Run a couple of days with TC off and see for yourself. Read the actual patrol reports. Those guys wished they had Ducimus' AirStrike.cfg file, but Lockwood told them to suck it up and fight the @#$# war.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-16, 12:47 PM   #6
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
Webster's Better Air Patrols for v1.4 and v1.5

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152885
Yes.

Also:

http://www.subsowespac.org/mods/SubS...Strike_Mod.zip

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 04:44 AM   #7
Gibus
Ensign

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
If you're seen airplanes are called in from everywhere in range.
I confirm.

"Pacific is a big ocean. You don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
Dick O'Kane
Gibus is offline   Reply With Quote