SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-16-17, 01:26 PM   #3511
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
It's on deck. The Three Horsemen of the Apocalypse are eliminating campaign glitches, CapnScurvy has interior adjustments and I am working on the Silent Hunter 4 Corruption Management System and FOTRSU Installation scripts.

I have collected what I hope is the essential information for making AI adjustments. But I don't multitask. I work on one thing at a time and put all my abilities into it alone. This multitasking stuff is just bullschnitzel: trying to fool people into thinking they are multi-core computers. They are not and we hardly have enough brain power to do one task, let alone three at a time.
Quote:
You may have heard that multitasking is bad for you, but new studies show that it kills your performance and may even damage your brain. Every time you multitask you aren't just harming your performance in the moment; you may very well be damaging an area of your brain that's critical to your future success at work.

Research conducted at Stanford University found that multitasking is less productive than doing a single thing at a time. The researchers found that people who are regularly bombarded with several streams of electronic information cannot pay attention, recall information, or switch from one job to another as well as those who complete one task at a time.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-s...mp-reader-card

Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 02:27 PM   #3512
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Downloads: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The big question for you Navigator857 is what direction is the TF traveling when you encounter them?
Both times they were heading SSE.

Jack
Navigator857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 04:37 PM   #3513
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

So going ~AWAY~ from Japan??...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 05:24 PM   #3514
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Default Captain's log

robin,

just d/l and installed FOTRS 0.5. found an unexpected feature. when in port and viewing the Captain's Log and the scroll bar does not allow the user to see the bottom of the current mission results. i can scroll down to what appears to be the bottom of the scroll bar but cannot see the end of the log. an running in 16:9 video mode.

mark

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 06:02 PM   #3515
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
robin,

just d/l and installed FOTRS 0.5. found an unexpected feature. when in port and viewing the Captain's Log and the scroll bar does not allow the user to see the bottom of the current mission results. i can scroll down to what appears to be the bottom of the scroll bar but cannot see the end of the log. an running in 16:9 video mode.

mark
Well, THAT's an unexpected feature. This is in CapnScurvy's area of expertise and there's nobody past, present or future as qualified to handle this. Thanks for the heads up!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 06:14 PM   #3516
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I'm not a bit surprised but happy to see research shows what lots of experience taught me.

It's an analog of "don't put all your eggs in one basket" which is a fallacy. You're better served to put all your eggs in the same basket. There is only one best basket at any given time. Just watch that one basket VERY carefully. You'll be way ahead of all those who listened to the snake oil of diversification.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 06:18 PM   #3517
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer
Just d/l and installed FOTRS 0.5. found an unexpected feature. when in port and viewing the Captain's Log and the scroll bar does not allow the user to see the bottom of the current mission results. i can scroll down to what appears to be the bottom of the scroll bar but cannot see the end of the log. an running in 16:9 video mode.
Well, THAT's an unexpected feature. This is in CapnScurvy's area of expertise and there's nobody past, present or future as qualified to handle this. Thanks for the heads up!
Yes that is unexpected, I'll look into it.

I see where a couple of posts back there has been some questions about the 40mm Bofor and its upgrade to subs. I've been away from the forum for the past several days working on just that issue. I'm hoping to get assets like the Bofor (both single and twin) to work as expected and show as an upgrade for all subs after a particular point in time. This, along with making sure the other "upgrade-able" equipment is going to be offered at the right time. I've had some issues with finding the equipment being put on the boat, yet the 3D modeled crew don't show up manning it! I also notice the Gunnery Skill Qualification is missing on the subs crew. I've got them back in place now. It's been one thing after another getting something correct, then finding something else needs to be fixed. But we will get it right.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 06:45 PM   #3518
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Probably a stock game issue, but two of my officers with the "command" specialization have gotten the Expert Sonarman & Expert Radioman passive abilities. Can't decide if i should move them to the conning tower or keep them in the command room where they are supposed to be.

Also, someone in my forward torpedo room with the "torpedo" specialization go the quick escape active ability. That's an ability for the engine room. Gah!!

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 09:05 PM   #3519
propbeanie

How many votes do we have to dissolve the "Special Abilities" in FotRSU?...

Aye!

How does one do such a thing anyway?...

Old 01-16-17, 09:25 PM   #3520
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
How many votes do we have to dissolve the "Special Abilities" in FotRSU?...

Aye!

How does one do such a thing anyway?...

I'm a go on this. Knowing you buddy, you'll figure it out.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 01:18 AM   #3521
propbeanie

The <Delete> key has consequences though...

Old 01-17-17, 02:17 AM   #3522
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Make it optional. I actually like some of the passives.

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 08:41 AM   #3523
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

I would have thought realistically there would have been some very competent crew members that would have enhanced their knowledge of what they specialized in.
Are you forced to activate special abilities, if so then optional would be the best way forward?
You have to remember that you are putting FOTRSU out there for all levels of different players, some of which need more help than others when playing their game.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 09:43 AM   #3524
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
torpedobait, do you happen to know what your crew slots look like? Can you re-load from a save, and then look at your boat and crew? See if you've got proper crewing on the gun? I don't know why it would be OK if you shoot it, until you target something...
You may be on to something. I had only one crew slot per gun, fore and aft. Usually there are two per gun in other mods. I did not save the game, but I can replicate it by adding back the twin 40's. To continue the campaign I went back to port and restored the single 40's. No matter which one, there was only one crew slot per gun (and only two for the deck gun - other mods usually had up to five crew slots for the deck gun).

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 09:48 AM   #3525
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
You may be on to something. I had only one crew slot per gun, fore and aft. Usually there are two per gun in other mods. I did not save the game, but I can replicate it by adding back the twin 40's. To continue the campaign I went back to port and restored the single 40's. No matter which one, there was only one crew slot per gun (and only two for the deck gun - other mods usually had up to five crew slots for the deck gun).
Our tootsies are crossed that just ~maybe~ CapnScurvy has found something... he's deep into dates and crew, areas that drive the normal person bonkers...